• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Best Player At His Position

mercules20

Considering our needs are endless on defense, why not just take the best DE, the best CB, or the best DT at their respective positions? Instead of taking the #2 corner, take the #1 DE, DT, or LB (LB would mean try and trade down). It will fill a need better than an overdrafted corner would. Taking a chance on a player is what we need to do in the second round or later rounds (if his name isn't AE or EB). Coples or Brockers are better answers than Jenkins or Dre is basically what i'm trying to say.

I'd like to hear you guys's opinions on this approach to drafting as I don't feel like my short paragraph is enough to sum up how this could help our defense dramatically. Discuss if you tout this as a worthy topic to discuss.

On a side note. Considering Poe's measurables at the combine, is he more raw than Brockers? (didn't feel like that topic alone was thread worthy, it just bugged me is all)

But what if the 2nd best CB is a better prospect than the best DT.

I get what you are saying but if you were the Redskins would you draft Blackmon over Griffen just because Luck was drafted and seen as the best QB? Of course not. You take the best player on the board that fits a need.

I didn't take into account a situation like this. I only posted this considering our spot has the opportunity to draft a player that is the best at his position even if the one that we are looking for is gone. We have needs at every position on defense. To say that CB is the #1 true need is a little iffy to me considering our pass rush and run defense were so terrible.

I didn't take into account a situation like this. I only posted this considering our spot has the opportunity to draft a player that is the best at his position even if the one that we are looking for is gone. We have needs at every position on defense. To say that CB is the #1 true need is a little iffy to me considering our pass rush and run defense were so terrible.

From a startagy standpoint I get this if the position is thin later on in the draft. Why draft Kirkpartick in the first if you can get Jenkins in the 2nd and get Fletcher or Poe in the first but have to reach in the 2nd for a DT.

Well people talk and talk about BPA but bottom line is you got to take your needs into consideration always. For example, we need DT help but we also need CB help. We have Gamble, arguably one of the better CB's in the league last season. So CB is a big need, but imo DT is a larger need. Ron Edwards is an unknown for us right now, we don't know how effective he will be in this system. Gamble is proven talent and as long as we can get someone in across from him that will play decent, it will be fine until it can be properly adressed next offseason. So even if we have Poe on the board with Dre at the same time, I would opt for Poe because it is a higher need and, personally, Dre is a reach at 9. There will be another top CB in the next draft, im sure, and if we decide to adress that at that time, then we will, though imo LB will likely be our first rounder in 2013 barring another genius draft day trade by Hurney.

Though we all may be deluding ourselves. The FO may draft an O-Lineman at 9. Never know, got to protect the face of our franchise, and Wharton, who was good but overpaid, is gone. So now we have a need at LG to protect Cam's blind side. The new guy from the Colts is a band-aid unless he turns out to be as good or better than Wharton, which is unproven at best right now.

Lots of unknowns in this season coming up that we will either sink or swim as a result of.

Jenkins could be the best cb in the draft if not to his red flags.

But yah I'm on you with your point.

Coples, brockers or cox right now for me.

I do think poe is a rawer player than brockers at this point.

Brockers was constantly drawing two OL playing in a much tougher conference and still put up good stats.

I don't like looking at players in the combine. I get excited to hear about the combine but I don't even watch it. I like to base players solely on how they perform in their collegiate career. I got brockers and cox over poe.

Coples is a beast and can also play DT. BPA if he falls to 9th.

Archived