• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Canes Sign Mcbain For Two More Years

Link: http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=632203&navid=DL|CAR|home

RALEIGH, NC – Jim Rutherford, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has agreed to terms with defenseman Jamie McBain on a two-year contract. The deal will pay McBain $1.7 million in 2012-13, and $1.9 million in 2013-14.

“Jamie is still a very young player who has established himself as an NHL defenseman,” said Rutherford. “He moves the puck well and has shown that he can contribute offensively, especially on the power play.”

McBain, 24, completed his third full professional season in 2011-12, leading all Hurricanes defensemen with 19 assists and 27 points. The Edina, MN, native led team blueliners with five power-play goals and was second among Carolina defensemen with 11 power-play points. McBain (6’2”, 200 lbs.) has scored 18 goals and earned 49 assists (67 points) in 166 career NHL regular-season games with the Hurricanes since turning professional following three seasons at the University of Wisconsin. Carolina drafted McBain in the second round, 63rd overall, in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft.

Hopefully the Canes can go out and get Ryan Suter now.

We have six on the roster, I don't consider that a long jam considering we had eight on the roster at one point last year.

The only guys under contract right now are Gleason, Pitkanen, McBain, Joslin, Harrison, and Faulk.

Bryan Allen will most likely sign somewhere else because he may command more money than the Canes want to pay him and Jaroslav Spacek won't be re-signed due to his age.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you there.

-Jay Harrison and Jamie McBain: They were our presence from the point and contributed a combined 50 points to the team this year.

-Justin Faulk: He is a good two way defense-man and a great power-play asset. Faulk recorded five power play goals for us in his rookie year.

-Tim Gleason: Gleason is our best defensive defense-man

-Joni Pitkanen: Pitkanen played well in his time before and after the injury. He really stepped it up last year in the time we saw him contributing 17 points in just 30 games.

- Bryan Allen: He is an unrestricted free agent and will probably not re-sign with us because he is going to command more money than Carolina wants to give him.

-Derek Joslin: Joslin is the only dead weight I see on the Hurricanes roster regarding defense-men.

If the Hurricanes can acquire Ryan Suter like many think they plan to do than I expect the lines to be as follows.

Tim Gleason - Justin Faulk

Ryan Suter - Jay Harrison

Joni Pitkanen - Jamie McBain

Derek Joslin (cut or regularly healthy scratch)

I think those six make for a solid defense.

We also have Ryan Murphy who will be on the roster within the next few seasons and Brian Dumoulin who is ready for the NHL now. Between the two, Murphy can use some time in the minors but Dumoulin will be in limbo - not developing any further until he steps up to the next level. Also, Bobby Sanguinetti just re-signed, so he's on the cusp of the full-time roster... with him it's either play him in the NHL or why re-sign him, IMO.

It's true, J.Staal said that if he were to go to a new team he would prefer to play with his brother Eric. But next season is the last year on his contract, so do you trade for him now or wait until he's available as a UFA and go after him? I would be content with focusing on getting Parise at all costs and then look at Staal at this time next year. But the obvious problem is that you give other teams on the fence about him a long time to consider their offer (in the end, money talks louder than family) and you give Pittsburgh a second chance at keeping him. I don't know what we'd offer Pittsburgh for him, but I know they want Sutter and there is no way I'd trade him away. They probably also want our 1st round pick packaged with someone who is a roster player right now.

In and unrelated note, I just read that Mike Murphy is headed towards the KHL, but we retain his rights in North American professional hockey. So if he comes back, he can only play through the Hurricanes. LINK

We also have Ryan Murphy who will be on the roster within the next few seasons and Brian Dumoulin who is ready for the NHL now. Between the two, Murphy can use some time in the minors but Dumoulin will be in limbo - not developing any further until he steps up to the next level. Also, Bobby Sanguinetti just re-signed, so he's on the cusp of the full-time roster... with him it's either play him in the NHL or why re-sign him, IMO.

It's true, J.Staal said that if he were to go to a new team he would prefer to play with his brother Eric. But next season is the last year on his contract, so do you trade for him now or wait until he's available as a UFA and go after him? I would be content with focusing on getting Parise at all costs and then look at Staal at this time next year. But the obvious problem is that you give other teams on the fence about him a long time to consider their offer (in the end, money talks louder than family) and you give Pittsburgh a second chance at keeping him. I don't know what we'd offer Pittsburgh for him, but I know they want Sutter and there is no way I'd trade him away. They probably also want our 1st round pick packaged with someone who is a roster player right now.

In and unrelated note, I just read that Mike Murphy is headed towards the KHL, but we retain his rights in North American professional hockey. So if he comes back, he can only play through the Hurricanes. LINK

Murphy isn't old enough to play in the minors, so if he doesn't make the roster he will be going back to the K. Rangers.

Dumoulin will be eligible to play for the Checkers and the Canes but I wouldn't be surprised if he makes the final roster.

Unfortunately we are stacked at defense right now, so I don't see Sanguinetti seeing much if any time at the NHL level this year.

If I'm the Canes, I trade Harrison, Joslin, our 1st and 3rd for Jared Staal and sign Zach Parise and Ryan Suter

I could see this roster contending next year...

Offense

Parise - E. Staal - Jokinen

Skinner - J. Staal - Ruutu

Nodl - Sutter - Tlusty

Dwyer - Brent - LaRose

Anthony Stewart (Healthy Scratch)

Defense

Gleason - Faulk

Suter - Murphy

Pitkanen - McBain

Dumoulin (Scratch or rotate with Murphy)

Goalies

Cam Ward

Brian Boucher

Possible Call Ups Throughout the Season

Jeremy Welsh (Checkers)

Drayson Bowman (Checkers) If Re-signed

Jerome Samson (Checkers) If Re-signed

Brett Sutter (Checkers) If Re-signed

Zac Dalpe (Checkers)

Zach Boychuk (Checkers) If Re-signed

Riley Nash (Checkers)

Bobby Sanguinetti (Checkers)

Jason Peters (Checkers) If Re-signed

By the way, here is a list of the Hurricanes unrestricted and restricted free agents...

CAROLINA

UFA: Jaroslav Spacek ($3.833), Bryan Allen ($2.9), Mathieu Roy ($600), Brett Sutter ($525), Justin Soryal ($525), Justin Peters ($525), Chris Durno ($525).

RFA: Zach Boychuk ($1.196), Evgenii Dadonov ($875), Justin Krueger ($850), Drayson Bowman ($846), Chris Terry ($750), Cedric Lalonde-McNicoll ($613), Kyle Lawson ($552.5), Matthew Pistilli ($522), Jerome Samson ($512.5).

I'm gonna have to disagree with you there.

-Jay Harrison and Jamie McBain: They were our presence from the point and contributed a combined 50 points to the team this year.

-Justin Faulk: He is a good two way defense-man and a great power-play asset. Faulk recorded five power play goals for us in his rookie year.

-Tim Gleason: Gleason is our best defensive defense-man

-Joni Pitkanen: Pitkanen played well in his time before and after the injury. He really stepped it up last year in the time we saw him contributing 17 points in just 30 games.

- Bryan Allen: He is an unrestricted free agent and will probably not re-sign with us because he is going to command more money than Carolina wants to give him.

-Derek Joslin: Joslin is the only dead weight I see on the Hurricanes roster regarding defense-men.

If the Hurricanes can acquire Ryan Suter like many think they plan to do than I expect the lines to be as follows.

Tim Gleason - Justin Faulk

Ryan Suter - Jay Harrison

Joni Pitkanen - Jamie McBain

Derek Joslin (cut or regularly healthy scratch)

I think those six make for a solid defense.

Yes keep the same group we've had for the past 2 seasons and hope they miraculously become good.

McBain was terrilbe last season. Harrison is average. Pitkanen keeps missing assignments.

Allen was our best defensive d-man

Yes keep the same group we've had for the past 2 seasons and hope they miraculously become good.

McBain was terrilbe last season. Harrison is average. Pitkanen keeps missing assignments.

Allen was our best defensive d-man

McBain was the best offensive threat we had from the blue line last year, Pitkanen played extremely well last year when healthy, and Harrison is also a good offensive threat.

Allen will not be back, so you can get that idea out of your head.

Murphy and Doumilin also need to be accounted for, and if the Canes jump on the idea of trading for Jordan Staal than I could see them trading Harrison and Joslin and signing Suter.

With these defensive pairings.

Gleason - Faulk

Suter - Murphy

Pitkanen - McBain

Dumoulin

Also, our defense will look much better if we can get some offense. Trading for Staal and signing Parise would do wonders for the Canes.

Archived