• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Peppers If/Then Scenario List

Seamonk

The If Chart:

If Peppers signs his tender....

then he could be traded for draft picks to a team he doesn't want to goto, which may not be possible and the team could just have him for 1 year.

or

he could be traded for draft picks he DOES want to go to

or

The panthers don't trade him and have him play for one more season at an expensive price

If Peppers finds a team willing to sign him to an offer sheet....

then the panthers can get 2 First round picks for him

or

the panthers can match the offer (and with his cap number already at 16m, unless the first year of his contract is over that... his cap number should get smaller)

If Peppers doesn't sign his tender....

then he could face...

-ultimately sitting out for a season

-possibly getting out of game shape

-losing value as he turns 30

-facing a possible uncapped year in 2010 where they could apply a franchise tag to him again and not have to worry about cap issues. All the while the panthers never had to pay him for the year prior.

However,

"Under rules governing franchise players, Peppers isn’t required to attend any offseason activities or training camp until he signs his one-year, $16.7 million tender. So, the team can’t fine him." As Per www.profootballtalk.com and the Panthers can not participate in any trade talks with other teams until his Tender is signed.

or

the panthers rescind the franchise tag for cap related reasons

or

He could retire? <--- Not Sure on this one. Since he hasn't signed his tender, not sure if he could retire then come back.

Legend:

The Stuff in Blue is Advantage to Panthers FO

The Stuff in Gray is Advantage to Peppers

The Stuff in Black is Neither holds a clear Advantage.

----Silly Ones----

If I meet Peppers....

Then Im gonna kick him in the nuts

After kicking him in the nuts

Then Im gonna run to my car.:smilewinkgrin:

------end------

Feel free to add more. Hopefully we can get a list big enough to see all of the possible scenarios for peppers and ultimately solve the peppers dilemma and see who is really favored to come out on top.

Rules:

Please try to maintain the format.

They can be silly if you'd like.

We can't trade him to a team he does not want to go to, unless that trading team is happy to have him for just one year.

Well done, the point of this was to refine all the scenarios and see what they could actually do.

Just saw this on www.profootballtalk.com

Unhappy in Carolina after being rebuffed in his trade requests, veteran defensive end Julius Peppers exercised his right as an unsigned franchise player to skip the Panthers’ minicamp.

As first reported by Steve Reed of CarolinaGrowl.com on Thursday, two league sources indicated that the four-time Pro Bowl defensive end wouldn’t be showing up today.

Panthers General Manager Marty Hurney, whose second-round draft pick, Everette Brown, took extra work with Peppers not on the practice field, reiterated that his conversations with Peppers’ agent have, “all been positive.”

Under rules governing franchise players, Peppers isn’t required to attend any offseason activities or training camp until he signs his one-year, $16.7 million tender. So, the team can’t fine him.

At this point, there appears to be no resolution in sight.

Just saw this on www.profootballtalk.com

Unhappy in Carolina after being rebuffed in his trade requests, veteran defensive end Julius Peppers exercised his right as an unsigned franchise player to skip the Panthers’ minicamp.

As first reported by Steve Reed of CarolinaGrowl.com on Thursday, two league sources indicated that the four-time Pro Bowl defensive end wouldn’t be showing up today.

Panthers General Manager Marty Hurney, whose second-round draft pick, Everette Brown, took extra work with Peppers not on the practice field, reiterated that his conversations with Peppers’ agent have, “all been positive.”

Under rules governing franchise players, Peppers isn’t required to attend any offseason activities or training camp until he signs his one-year, $16.7 million tender. So, the team can’t fine him.

At this point, there appears to be no resolution in sight.

Good job, so we know he probably won't be showing up for a while.. I'm guessing he might sign during TC, because if he intends on playing at all, he'll have to learn the new defense. Pretty much means he doesn't have to be in North Carolina during the entire summer.

Here's my list...

1-if he plays he plays...if he don't, he don't.

2 if he gets traded, he gets traded...if he don't, he don't.

I'm not even gonna waste my time worrying about him anymore.

Only making this because some people don't know what can and cannot be done. It's informative more than it is debate.

I have enough regard for peppers to expect him in training camp. He likes to train by himself anyway so I don't read much into him not going to mini camp. He will be there when he needs to be. If he isn't...I expect him to up and retire. He could always pull a farve later I suppose.

Only making this because some people don't know what can and cannot be done. It's informative more than it is debate.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that there was something wrong with the thread. I was just expressing my feelings on the subject.

I have enough regard for peppers to expect him in training camp. He likes to train by himself anyway so I don't read much into him not going to mini camp. He will be there when he needs to be. If he isn't...I expect him to up and retire. He could always pull a farve later I suppose.

As funny as that would be, we'd still own the rights to him unless we release him just as the Jets did to Favre just recently. So if he decides to come back, he'd be older, making less money, and probably won't mean much to us anyway since we'd have moved on. So in a sense, he wins.. but not really. I guess that's still an option though.

I'm not sure how that'd work out with the Franchise tag though. If a player retires with a franchise on him, how does it effect the tag and the team? I mean, if he retires, he has to go through a process of getting out of the league. For him to unretire, he has to go through a process to get into the league. So if he does that, we'd naturally have to pull the franchise tag, and he'd be a free agent... right?

If anyone knows the legal processes to this, please come forward.

Archived