• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Defense

PanthersAlv

Does anyone remember when the season started they said the "simplified" the Defense and let people loose and such?

I think I heard that after the Bye, the Defense was shifted some. If I recall until the Cards game we did pretty good in the Passing Defense area did we not? then after the bye we've been cut up. (not just by short slants either)

Lucas mentioned that they did something earlier and they just need to get back to it...

Does anyone think that the "mid season" after teh bye adjustments might have caused this Defensive decline? I mean, Pep and the Dline over all has been getting more pressure on the QB lately, but, the Secondary hasn't been all that.

Comeing to the Denver game... I wonder if things will get "simplified" again?

Thoughts?

It's more than just the pass defense. Since the bye we have given up a lot more rushing yards as well.

The bye week adjustments could be a part of the reason but I would also question the gameplanning of the opposing team. Coming into the season most saw the D-Line as the weakness of the team and that the secondary was the strength. So to start the season teams were looking to run the ball but the d-line and LB corp held them in check. Then after the Arizona game teams were able to build a blueprint on how to effectively attack the secondary. As it always will, more success in the passing game leads to more success in the running game.

The good news IMO is that there isn't any glaring holes in the defense. The unit as a whole is playing good, not great or shutdown type of defense, but good. So I hope that just better execution on the players part and some better coaching on Trgo, Lewis and Fox's end will make the difference. And I think the Tampa game is a good example of that.

Out of the four scoring drives the Bucs had on Monday only one was a good sustaining drive. One was a goal line stand for a field goal after a big passing play that was on a Godfrey mental error. One was TD on a bad call by the ref. And the other was an end the game prevent defense score off of an amazing circus catch. While giving up 23 points isn't good, I think the defense for the majority of the night played like a team that should have only given up 13 points.

Getting the mental errors under control is big. Would getting back to a simplier scheme help that? Maybe, but correcting them with the mid-season adjustments could be more benefitial in the long run.

I just hope they get this thing in order.

When it comes to Pass Defensed they (all three mentioned above) have 5 total since the bye week.

Our Dline has just as many themselves in that same time frame. Which I guess is good. LOL But, I mean, the CB's kinda have more passes tossed pretty much AT them.

I don't study film, so I dunno what's different besides better WR's and QB's.

In the current top ten passing Offenses, they've beat 4 of them. Include'n the top 2 with #3 come'n to town this weekend.

just wondering :D

One thing I noticed from re watching Monday's game, is that Lucas was up in press coverage on Bryant when he got that great one-handed TD grab. Bryant still got a free release though because he was quicker off the ball.

So for the people who think that press coverage is the answer to everything... it's not quite that simple.

I don't study film, so I dunno what's different besides better WR's and QB's.

In the current top ten passing Offenses, they've beat 4 of them. Include'n the top 2 with #3 come'n to town this weekend.

That says a lot right there. Just like the Bucs rush defense, the laws of averages will catch up to you at some point.

The way I look at it is if the team continues to play and execute Fox's philosiphy of running the ball and stopping the run then this team will be successful. Improved play in the secondary would just make this team that much better.

Archived