• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Can you give me tips for race?

So here's the deal, LMS offered free tickets for scouts and one parent so I ordered tickets for each girl in my daughter's troop for the Carquest 300 on May 23. Because I'm a leader, I got another adult ticket so my husband, daughter, me, and maybe even my son will be going.

This will be my first race. We're sitting in the Family Section in the 4th Turn Terrace starting with section F - don't know where exactly right now - the tickets say general admission. Our gate is 30/31 so I also wondered where is the best place for us to park should we park on that side of the speedway or does it really matter?

What can we bring in - I thought people were allowed to bring in coolers. We don't drink and besides, we're in a non-alcohol section anyway, but can we bring in sodas and sandwiches. Can we do that? Is there a size limit? We might want something like that if we decide to make a day of it and come when the gates open. And are the seats real seats or are they concrete slabs where we'd want to bring in a blanket or a stadium seat?

I'd appreciate any info anyone can give me.

You can bring in coolers (I think 14" is the limit on size. Cans and plastic bottle just no glass. You can have sandwiches or any food items in there.

4th turn terrace has regular seats with backs. Over there if you are above row 15 you should be able to see the entire track.

Parking depends upon which way you need to go leaving the track. The lot on the side of the dirt track is closest to 4th turn terrace.

http://www.lowesmotorspeedway.com/visitors_guide/rules_regulations/

Thank you. I live in Matthews, but my sister lives just a couple of miles from the speedway so I do know a lot of back ways to get around there. I'm looking forward to the race.

How long should I expect a 300 mile race to last? That's kind of late for my daughter to be out.

Expect race to last almost 4 hours

Travel Light

We always picked up a cheap styrofoam cooler

That way you can leave it for the clean up crew

Always froze a gallon jug of water and let it thaw to drink at track

Always took enough clear plastic to cover us in case of rain,it folds up real compact.

Always took a wet soappy bath cloth in a ziplock

Seat Cushions

They pack you in ,so travel light

yeah, and check out the lowesmotorspeedway.com website. it will give you lots of tips and rules. Your ticket should tell you what entrance to use. My cooler always has earplugs, drinks, ice, and food in it. Since you're in general admission get there early to get a good seat. The good seats are higher up. If you get there late you'll only get the seats down low. Get there early and soak it all in. The driver introductions, pre race show, etc. You won't know the drivers much, but a handfull of NASCAR drivers will be in the race that you will recognize. Learn how the tower works that lists the driver's order during the race and explain it to all around. It's all you have to figure out who's leading and the top 10. It will let you understand why people pit and why some don't at the end of the race. Take some little binoculars if you have them and watch pits.

Ask the people around you if you have questions.

My brother took me to LMS a few years ago and I have not missed many since then. I would advise that when they are getting ready to start the race get as close to the track as possible for the first time by. I was only 4 or five feet away, half way down the back straight for my first start. It was quite an experience. You will be absolutly amazed by how fast the cars are passing.

I didn't see sunscreen or hats and sunglasses mentioned. Don't go without them. I know you're going with girl scouts, but you should still IMO get a race pool together. Instead of a cash pool offer a prize or something. It will get the girls more interested in the race if they have a some drivers to pull for. Find Kyle Busch's car and make sure your whole crowd stands up and gives him the middle finger at LEAST every other time he comes by you. Cheer wildly if he wrecks. Throw stuff on the track if he wins.

I didn't see sunscreen or hats and sunglasses mentioned. Don't go without them. I know you're going with girl scouts, but you should still IMO get a race pool together. Instead of a cash pool offer a prize or something. It will get the girls more interested in the race if they have a some drivers to pull for. Find Kyle Busch's car and make sure your whole crowd stands up and gives him the middle finger at LEAST every other time he comes by you. Cheer wildly if he wrecks. Throw stuff on the track if he wins.

^^^what he said.

Archived