• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jerry Donates $10 Million to Charlotte 49ers!

Niner National

Why did UNCC built their own stadium? Why not use BOA stadium?

For the same reasons Tulane University, who currently plays games at the Superdome, is building their own stadium on campus. Having less than 10,000 people in a venue that seats 80,000 kills the atmosphere and having the stadium on campus brings alumni, students, media etc. to your campus.

Why did UNCC built their own stadium? Why not use BOA stadium?

Lawcat mostly nailed it. Few teams can put 70,000 butts in seats. Charlotte certainly isn't going to do it unless they are hosting South Carolina, Clemson, or maybe UNC or NC State, although I'm not sure those games would even draw more than 65,000 (ECU vs USC didn't even draw that many).

Additionally, the cost to rent BoA is in the neighborhood of $600,000 per game.

Instead, we have a small, but beautiful on campus stadium that has been built to be expanded without any demolition to 40,000. 40,000 will sustain our needs for a long long time. Up to 60,000 seats can be added to the on campus stadium, but I doubt that will ever be necessary. BoA is always there if we need a stadium with capacity greater than 40,000.

Atmosphere in a full or nearly full 15,000 or 40,000 seat stadium is MUCH better than 40,000 in a 72,000 seat stadium.

We looked into using Memorial Stadium (21,000 capacity), but it needed millions in upgrades and it would have made it more difficult for students to make it to games, so we decided we needed to have an on campus stadium. I think it was the right choice. Memorial Stadium is a dump. One side of the upper deck was condemned and torn down last year.

Instead we get this:

27907_10151282810310279_1274937886_n.jpg

And have plans to expand to this in the future:

HighResRender40k.jpgDukeView40k.jpg

having it on campus was the best thing to do. i think they have done an outstanding job and like i mentinoned eariler. when i don't go to some other games, i will for sure mosey up the road and tailgate for some games.

having it on campus was the best thing to do. i think they have done an outstanding job and like i mentinoned eariler. when i don't go to some other games, i will for sure mosey up the road and tailgate for some games.

Be sure to find the @Normbulance.  Best tailgate on campus!!

988367_430889263684592_1104480693_n.jpg

971623_430889230351262_428938800_n.jpg

Archived