• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

PGA Championship at Oak Hill CC

DirtyMagic97

Here is an article where he is named one of the biggest jerks in sports. His camera demeanor makes him a fan favorite. There are lots of articles out there where his peers seem to despise him. Stuart Appleby called him a fake.

So great demeanor and a-hole on tour are not contradictory.

Glad he is nice to you.

http://www.worldgolf.com/blogs/alan.katz/2006/02/03/beaver_cleaver_knows_why_gq_hates_phil_m

Phil is a savvy business man and a great ambassador for the game of golf.

I can very much appreciate him regardless of who he is for what he does on the course, same as I can what Tiger does.

No hypocrisy here.

Phil is a savvy business man and a great ambassador for the game of golf.

I can very much appreciate him regardless of who he is for what he does on the course, same as I can what Tiger does.

No hypocrisy here.

I have nothing against either one. Tiger probably comes across as the bigger jerk but winning tends to make people forget these things. 

The other tour players don't like Phil? I couldn't care less.

The fact your quote comes from some guy named Bangkok Al and his blog... seriously?

The GQ article that listed him was printed in 2006... really? Sorry, that's because they haven't done the same list since....

But I did find a shitload of other "...Most Hated/Disliked/Whatever Athletes" lists all over and couldn't find Phil on nearly as many nor as highly ranked as Tiger, so make of it what you will.

The fact is he treats the game, its volunteers, the fans and everyone associated with the game with respect and humility. Those are the people that make money for the tour. He's out there to beat his competitors and, if given the chance, he'll not hesitate to put his foot on your throat. You see that as being as a$$, so be it.

I do find it curious that none of the people who think Phil is an a$$ find anything wrong with Tiger. You know Tiger, the guy who tosses clubs, slams them into the ground, lets the F-bombs fly on national TV and is pretty well known to get hit with more tour fines than anyone else.

The fact is he treats the game, its volunteers, the fans and everyone associated with the game with respect and humility. Those are the people that make money for the tour. He's out there to beat his competitors and, if given the chance, he'll not hesitate to put his foot on your throat. You see that as being as a$$, so be it.

I do find it curious that none of the people who think Phil is an a$$ find anything wrong with Tiger. You know Tiger, the guy who tosses clubs, slams them into the ground, lets the F-bombs fly on national TV and is pretty well known to get hit with more tour fines than anyone else.

You asked a question and got your answer.  Sorry your golden boy doesn't have the reputation you think he does.  Calm down.

Yes, he is great to the fans.  No one is denying that.  Being great to the fans is a good thing.  Being a dick to your tour mates, even away from the course, is not a good thing.  Other players do see how fake he is.  His being good to the fans stuff is an act, because that helps him be a more marketable player.

You asked a question and got your answer.  Sorry your golden boy doesn't have the reputation you think he does.  Calm down.

Yes, he is great to the fans.  No one is denying that.  Being great to the fans is a good thing.  Being a dick to your tour mates, even away from the course, is not a good thing.  Other players do see how fake he is.  His being good to the fans stuff is an act, because that helps him be a more marketable player.

The supposed source is a 7-year old blog piece... so I do have a problem with it, regardless who the subject may be.

"His being good to the fans stuff is an act" I don't know the guy on the golf course, although that was the impetus for our first meeting years ago. All of my dealings with him have been off the course and never has he been anything but an easy-going, soft spoken guy.

I find it amusing that you'll read and believe some unknown blogger without knowing Phil Mickelson and yet I know the guy, am telling you the different Phil Mickelson I've known and you want to keep up the "....but, but ... other players see him as fake...".

I've not heard or read that from other players, have you? Directly, I mean? Not the , "Well, I heard from some guy..."

The supposed source is a 7-year old blog piece... so I do have a problem with it, regardless who the subject may be.

"His being good to the fans stuff is an act" I don't know the guy on the golf course, although that was the impetus for our first meeting years ago. All of my dealings with him have been off the course and never has he been anything but an easy-going, soft spoken guy.

Again, I said I don't know how true any of it is. This is what has been said of him. And trust me, that article isn't anywhere close to the only source regarding Phil as a fake.

Personally, I don't care at all.  I don't know Phil, nor do I care to know Phil.  Maybe he's a great guy.  He has a reputation for being a less than up-front character to a percentage of the players on tour.  If you don't believe it, fine.  No need to go all white knight to defend him though.

The fact your quote comes from some guy named Bangkok Al and his blog... seriously?

The GQ article that listed him was printed in 2006... really? Sorry, that's because they haven't done the same list since....

But I did find a shitload of other "...Most Hated/Disliked/Whatever Athletes" lists all over and couldn't find Phil on nearly as many nor as highly ranked as Tiger, so make of it what you will.

You like Phil. We get it.

Again, I said I don't know how true any of it is. This is what has been said of him. And trust me, that article isn't anywhere close to the only source regarding Phil as a fake.

Personally, I don't care at all.  I don't know Phil, nor do I care to know Phil.  Maybe he's a great guy.  He has a reputation for being a less than up-front character to a percentage of the players on tour.  If you don't believe it, fine.  No need to go all white knight to defend him though.

The guy's got millions and doesn't need my defense. I just have a problem with the "I heard from some guy..." and the, "Well, I read this..."

Unitl I see a tour players name with a quote behind it saying something like that, I tend to not give it much credence. But others will accept it as the gospel, and therein lies the issue.   

Yes plenty of articles out there. But I'm like you I don't have any vested interest. Just pointing it out.

Vijay is apparently worse than any of them for the record.

Archived