• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Saints ... Falcons

Panther53521

Watching the preseason game between Saints and Chiefs and the sideline reporter giving updates on other games and reports that "Stephen Jackson had 8 yards on 5 carries behind some shotty Oline blocking schemes".

Thought is was a nice jab at the Falcons

BTW the Saints new 3-4 scheme looks terrible .... no help for that terrible defense

BTW the Saints new 3-4 scheme looks terrible .... no help for that terrible defense

Here is the writeup on defense. They had their best guy Gallette out as well as Martez Wilson and played base vanilla all game, not one blitz unlike Falcons

1. POSITIVE SPIN ON DEFENSE: I wasn't as turned off by the Saints' first-string defense as most. Sure, it wasn't pretty, as they allowed the Chiefs to march downfield for a 14-play, 80-yard touchdown drive to start the game. But it wasn't a total mess, either.

Chiefs quarterback Alex Smith settled for a lot of underneath throws, and the Saints forced Kansas City into two third-and-long situations along the way. The key for the Saints' defense is to eliminate the big plays that decimated them last year, and they avoided them Friday. That opening drive reminded me a lot of the Saints' defense in 2010 and 2011, which wasn't dynamic but was good enough to win a lot of games. Decent pressure and decent coverage forcing quick, short-yardage throws. I think that's a realistic goal for an improved Saints defense this year.

The Saints had one noticeable matchup problem on that first drive -- when outside linebacker Will Smith was assigned with covering the flat, and speedy tailback Jamaal Charles scooted free for an eight-yard gain. But again, it was a check-down pass after Smith couldn't find anyone else open, and that's not the worst-case scenario for New Orleans' defense.

Meanwhile, the Saints started to look downright dominant against the Chiefs' second-string offense, allowing just one first down over the next three series. The Saints' four-safety alignment came up big on a third-and-1 run stuff (tackle by Cam Jordan and Curtis Lofton). Jordan also had great pressure on a third-and-7 stop. And rookie defensive tackle John Jenkins had a big-time sack on a third-and-7 stop.

After the Saints' defensive disaster last year, I'd actually chalk Friday night up as a decent start on the road to recovery.

The Taints - Falcons games this year will be an epic display of defensive ineptitude. I'm looking for them to break 1000 combined yds in each game. It'll be like watching Div III ball.

And when the Falcons finish higher in the standings again i'll bring up this quote and say so what does that make the Panthers? A middle school team?

Archived