• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Help Local High School Win $100,000 grant (David W Butler HS in Matthews)

Go To Girl

Hi all - for those who haven't seen me in a while - yes, I still exist.  For those who never heard of me, I'm am oldie.

Anyway, I know many of you guys are masters at making the panthers win, so though maybe you could help David W Butler High School in Matthews win in the State Farm Celebrate My Drive contest. 

http://www.wbtv.com/story/23755453/local-high-schools-compete-for-100000-safe-driving-grant?clienttype=generic&mobilecgbypass&utm_content=bufferef4ea&utm_source=buffer&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=Buffer

They are currently ranked #7 (although it's been fluctuating between #6 and #7 this morning) and have to be in the top 5 on Saturday to be eligible for the prize. I think you can only vote once a day, but every little bit helps.   This was the school my son attended, but he's long gone.  But my daughter will be there one day.  Butler has a real shot at this, so every vote helps. 

Local high schools compete for $100,000 safe driving grant Posted: Oct 22, 2013 9:51 AM EST Updated: Oct 24, 2013 9:05 AM EST
By Jessica Sells - email
23755453_BG1.jpg Butler High School Dream Team
23755453_BG2.jpg Butler High School Dream Team

MATTHEWS, NC (WBTV) -

UPDATE: Thursday 10/24, 9am: Butler High School is now ranked #7. See full story below!

David W. Butler High School in Matthews reached out to WBTV Tuesday morning for help spreading the word about a safe driving competition that could win the school big bucks.

Several high schools in the WBTV viewing area, and thousands of schools nationwide, are taking part in the ‘Celebrate My Drive' competition that could earn them up to $100,000.

According to the competition website, at least 10% of the winnings must be spent in support of a teen driver safety program to benefit the students of the winning school. The other 90% can be spent on school-related needs defined by the winning school and approved by State Farm, the business backing the ‘Celebrate My Drive' competition.

So how does it work?

Every day this week, October 18-26, high schools and community members across the country are making commitments to safe driving. The commitment process is also an educational tool.

The Butler High School Dream Team has been promoting the competition for about two months. They reached out to WBTV because they are currently ranked #13 in the large schools category. They tell us they need to make the top 5 to win the $100,000 grant.

Make your commitment at http://celebratemydrive.com and find the Butler High School Dream team on Twitter @Butler_CMD.

Schools in our viewing area with 100 or more commitments as of Tuesday morning, 10/22:

Small schools category:

#27:           Avery County HS

#87:           Mitchell HS

#145:         Lincoln Charter School

#170:         John A. Holmes HS

#180:         Performance Learning Center

Large schools category:

#13:           David W. Butler HS

#29:           William Amos Hough HS

#392:         Cary HS

#453:         Rocky River HS

#540:         West Forsyth HS