• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

No long-term deal likely for Peppers

Jbro

a million dollar a week guy who quite possibly still does not want to play in Carolina but is being forced to and paid very highly to do so.

Forced? Just a few months ago, weren't you the one commenting that his agent had done a masterful job putting him in a controlling position in the negotiation? I can go back and find your posts if I have to, but if he was in control, how was he now "forced" to sign?

I wouldn't count that out as a possibility just yet.

Many weren't sure we'd keep it on him this year. Assuming nothing else changes, we'd be able to tag him again next year without worrying about cap space to sign other FAs.

I was really hoping Peppers would sign the extension so we would free up some cap space and be able to sign some help at DT and back up OL.

That might be an issue IF there were somebody available worth signing. There isn't.

The fact is that the likelihood of a positive outcome went way down as soon as Peppers started feeling like he wanted to leave and was made worse when he was tagged. That is a fact.

No, that is your opinion of the situation. (Before you start on how many agree with the assessment, I don't care, it's still just opinion.) It's negotiating, give and take between him and management. The reports are that it's having no impact within the lockerroom.

Did he sign the franchise tender with provisions of not being labeled a franchise player again??? Or is this whole scenario possible for yet another year with Pep?

There were no "NO TAG" clauses for next year. We get to do this all over again next year (and anybody is nuts if they believe we won't tag him again).

the tender had no provisions. If they are stupid enough to pay it again I am sure that he is ready to cash the checks. Especially when they are so easily manipulated into getting hims some help and changing staff and roster to accommodate him at the slightest mention of wanting to leave and only wanting to go to 4 teams.

Marty got played. It's embarrassing.

You are an absolute idiot if you believe that to be the case. NO TEAM is going to give so much as the impression that they are willing to cede that kind of authority to a player. The loss of control and discipline in the lockerroom would be irreparable.

What if he blows out both knees? Who got played then? What if he has a 25 Sack season? Who got played then?

1 chop block taking out an ACL somewhere near mid season is going to cost him 20 million plus. Based on how the market is going, he could get a long term contract now with pushing 50 million guaranteed. He loses a knee beyond the point where he can be 100% by camp next year and he'll never see that kind of money.

In terms of how things sit right now he and his agent made the best out of a very bad situation in which they were put in a very tough spot. They came away with all the options and all the guarantees.

The only option they have is to sign or sit. It'll be the same next year. It seems pretty foolish to committ up to 50 million in guarantees to a player who is 1 play from being out for the season or longer. We have him now with only having to committ a third of that.

This sucks because Peppers is still one of my favorites. But I cant fault him for not signing a long term deal since he is being held back by the scheme. There just isnt a whole more an elite player like him can do in a conservative John Fox defense. At least we get him for one more season possibly two. All I know is Everrette Brown better pan out because it looks like he will be his eventual replacement.

the four teams has nothing to do with it. That was not a well thought out concrete list IMO. That was as far as he was willing to go in the press to get the point across that he was not going to play nice and not make this easy for Carolina for the reasons that the "four teams" supposedly represent: winning, coaching, 3-4, LB, etc.

Marty was also stubborn and thus we have...DING DING DING!!

a million dollar a week guy who quite possibly still does not want to play in Carolina but is being forced to and paid very highly to do so.

It still might work out that he gets a deal done. Marty has well demonstrated that he is prepared to do about anything short of murder to keep him in Charlotte.

What is all this going to cost the Panthers is the real question.

As it should be... We could have let Pep walk, but both the Panthers players and organization want him to stay. Most fans do as well. Pep will come out and put up another really good year and we'll reap the benefits. If he doesn't, then he's sabotaging his career. Not realistic to believe he would do that.

It's a win-win for the Panthers organization and Pep will be okay to stay for one more year at least. Hopefully he is emotionally stable enough to give it 1 more year, many people in America are either working jobs they hate or finishing out a couple more years until retirement to receive benefits.

After all, he did say he was willing to talk about a long term deal. Dismiss it if you will, but you can't deny he is reconsidering the thought that he doesn't want to play for Carolina at all.

Just sayin... The sky isn't falling over his house and everyone is happy.

After all, he did say he was willing to talk about a long term deal. Dismiss it if you will, but you can't deny he is reconsidering the thought that he doesn't want to play for Carolina at all.

It could be a real feeling on his part. I tend to think it's more like what Gantt (I think it was he) speculated, a way to make public nice with the fans who were ticked at him. There's no downside to his saying that at all. It wasn't a promise and is something other players say when they are either entering their last year or are known to be unhappy with their contract.

Forced? Just a few months ago, weren't you the one commenting that his agent had done a masterful job putting him in a controlling position in the negotiation?......blah blah blah.......

The only option they have is to sign or sit. It'll be the same next year. It seems pretty foolish to committ up to 50 million in guarantees to a player who is 1 play from being out for the season or longer. We have him now with only having to committ a third of that.

yeah when you tag someone you are forcing them to play or sit. Peppers was in control though as far as contract negotiations go. this is really not that hard pal.

and I dont care what you thing a franchise will or not concede. The Peppers situation influenced just about every thing that did or did not happen on the defensive side of the ball. Even if only a little bit, his comments and actions had bearing.

If you think it it is smart to pay ridiculously more over time than strike a deal then OK. I always wondered who was keeping rent A Center in business. ALL players are one play away from a career ending injury. If you think a player is frail you def. don't tag him.

And to quote another FACT... the Peppers situation did go SOUTH when he made the comments he made to the media and DID GET WORSE when he was tagged...for everybody

The tagging did not make the situation easier. So you think it did?

you were clearly taking on a little too much with that last post friend. Don't bother defending any of that garbage. My stomach already hurts this afternoon from re-reading the "who do you want to pick up" post from last week and can't really afford anymore heavy laughter for a bit.

It could be a real feeling on his part. I tend to think it's more like what Gantt (I think it was he) speculated, a way to make public nice with the fans who were ticked at him. There's no downside to his saying that at all. It wasn't a promise and is something other players say when they are either entering their last year or are known to be unhappy with their contract.

It would make sense and be smart if that's the only premise behind him doing so... But there is also a small possibility that he is open to a new contract. Which is why it can't be denied that the possibility exists.

the tender had no provisions. If they are stupid enough to pay it again I am sure that he is ready to cash the checks. Especially when they are so easily manipulated into getting hims some help and changing staff and roster to accommodate him at the slightest mention of wanting to leave and only wanting to go to 4 teams.

Marty got played. It's embarrassing.

Dude... Crolls, love ya man, but seriously? Are you really throwing this out there as if it holds weight?

We have been wanting Trgo gone for how long? If Pep had anything to do with this, than THANK GOD FOR PEP... lol I am his #1 fan for getting Trgo gone.. And obviously this is the 1st proof of him being better for the team.. lol ...

Marty being played is a joke. This team is better after these decisions, not worse. Pep will come out and play and if he doesn't, he is killing any chances of playing anywhere and getting paid a decent price to do it.

Again, thank god Pep got Trgo gone... But regardless, I don't see how that's relevant when MOST of the past Hurney has never budged.. So to jump out and assume that's what happened is a quite a reach... But, a blessing regardless...

Edit: ANd I keep hearing you phrase things as if the team's moral is being beaten because of the "negativity" from all this... So we couldn't hire a few backups just to make us feel better, and those who are saying "we want more who can we get", you're right, that's a joke.. because there wasn't many people to pick from other than backups... But team moral isn't going to suffer from this one bit. ANd tha's the downside you must be talking about...

As it should be... We could have let Pep walk, but both the Panthers players and organization want him to stay. Most fans do as well. Pep will come out and put up another really good year and we'll reap the benefits. If he doesn't, then he's sabotaging his career. Not realistic to believe he would do that.

It's a win-win for the Panthers organization and Pep will be okay to stay for one more year at least. Hopefully he is emotionally stable enough to give it 1 more year, many people in America are either working jobs they hate or finishing out a couple more years until retirement to receive benefits.

Just sayin... The sky isn't falling over his house and everyone is happy.

That will be great if it works out and there is a high likelihood that it will go as you have predicted. We all hope that is the case but it's no fun agreeing with people in the off season and we never grow up if we don't examine all angles and possibilities.

Oh hey isn't there supposed to be a massive outrage on the Huddle about how Peppers is evil because he didn't sign an extension?

I don't know about a "massive outrage". Find the thread and go there. Stop derailing. Before it was even official though there was a thread talking about how Julius Peppers should not be a Captain. That is close enough for me. But thanks for bringing that up BranDONE and thank you also for restraining your attacks all because I predicted they would come.

It would make sense and be smart if that's the only premise behind him doing so... But there is also a small possibility that he is open to a new contract. Which is why I said it can't be totally dismissed.

Dude... Crolls, love ya man, but seriously? Are you really throwing this out there as if it holds weight?

We have been wanting Trgo gone for how long? If Pep had anything to do with this, than THANK GOD FOR PEP... lol I am his #1 fan for getting Trgo gone.. And obviously this is the 1st proof of him being better for the team.. lol ...

Marty being played is a joke. This team is better after these decisions, not worse. Pep will come out and play and if he doesn't, he is killing any chances of playing anywhere and getting paid a decent price to do it.

Again, thank god Pep got Trgo gone... But regardless, I don't see how that's relevant when MOST of the past Hurney has never budged.. So to jump out and assume that's what happened is a quite a reach... But, a blessing regardless...

Edit: ANd I keep hearing you phrase things as if the team's moral is being beaten because of the "negativity" from all this... So we couldn't hire a few backups just to make us feel better, and those who are saying "we want more who can we get", you're right, that's a joke.. because there wasn't many people to pick from other than backups... But team moral isn't going to suffer from this one bit. ANd tha's the downside you must be talking about...

i do not think that team morale is going to suffer. I think the team is fine. I think the team is better with Pep on it provided he WANTS to be on it too. I do firmly believe that his actions served as a guide ,even if a slight one, when the FO made some of the changes on the D. Fast pressure d-line? Top tier help that was reached for in the draft? In any case I find it very hard to believe that everything would have gone identical to ho it has had Peppers not expressed his desires early on. Whether it was his goal or not, good changes were mad and they benefit him and his career. Marty made a stand and then had to go to work to make it pay off. We'll see if it was enough.

That will be great if it works out and there is a high likelihood that it will go as you have predicted. We all hope that is the case but it's no fun agreeing with people in the off season and we never grow up if we don't examine all angles and possibilities.

I can appreciate the bolded up above... Presenting different opinions to help the boredom of the offseason and to examine all angles definitely adds to debate and perhaps uncovers an angle not thought of..

But until you say that, people don't understand where you are coming from. I think if you presented your opinions by saying that people then can discuss a topic instead of rabidly debating it.. lol

i do not think that team morale is going to suffer. I think the team is fine. I think the team is better with Pep on it provided he WANTS to be on it too. I do firmly believe that his actions served as a guide ,even if a slight one, when the FO made some of the changes on the D. Fast pressure d-line? Top tier help that was reached for in the draft? In any case I find it very hard to believe that everything would have gone identical to ho it has had Peppers not expressed his desires early on. Whether it was his goal or not, good changes were mad and they benefit him and his career. Marty made a stand and then had to go to work to make it pay off. We'll see if it was enough.

I agree... ANd with Meeks coming in, that may have played a part in the draft, but no one can disagree that they had to game plan for "what if Pep doesn't sign" or if there was a trade in the works... No doubt they were/are trying to cover up the Pep situation with solutions.

And I'm sure nothing about Marty's job is easy... After all, dealing with contracts every year and making things work sounds like a royal pain in the ass...

I don't know about a "massive outrage". Find the thread and go there. Stop derailing. Before it was even official though there was a thread talking about how Julius Peppers should not be a Captain. That is close enough for me. But thanks for bringing that up BranDONE and thank you also for restraining your attacks all because I predicted they would come.

Of course it's good enough for you because about 3 posts out of the whole thread had anything to do with people feeling he didn't "deserve it" based on how he handled this offseason. :rolleyes:

Love how you thank him for not attacking (which is YOUR MO) yet you call him a name. :rolleyes:

***cue the WTF QUIT FOLLOWING ME AROUND U R OBSESSED WITH ME*** whining. :rolleyes:

What are you going on about?

Archived