• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

No long-term deal likely for Peppers

Jbro

It appears the Carolina Panthers and defensive end Julius Peppers will not agree to a long-term deal before Wednesday's 4 p.m. deadline, meaning the two sides could be headed to another offseason standoff next January.

NFL teams have until Wednesday's deadline to sign players upon whom they placed their franchise tag earlier this year. Teams who don't get a contract deal done by the deadline aren't permitted to negotiate with those players again until after the 2009 season.

Kansas City beat the deadline today by completing a deal with quarterback Matt Cassell, who was New England's franchise player and was traded to the Chiefs after signing his one-year tender.

Indications strongly point to no new contract between Peppers and the Panthers. Hopes for a new deal were raised last month when Peppers said through his agent that he was open to considering a long-term extension after signing the one-year contract tender of $16.683 million.

rest.....http://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/2009/07/no-longterm-deal-likely-for-peppers.html

This was my expected outcome with such short time to work out a deal... Anyone expecting a deal to be done either knows something no one else does, or more likely, had extremely too high of expectations..

A piece of advice for those that are going to read too much into this... just sit back and get ready for a great season. Speculation at this stage about next year is pointless.

I love how these guys always say crap like...

Indications strongly point to no new contract between Peppers and the Panthers.

and then fill the rest of the story with a bunch of fluff. Ummm... OK, what indications? Do you have a real reason to think this won't happen or are you just talking out of your ass?

Personally, I think it'll happen but it's less than 24 hours before the deadline so no need to jump to any conclusions. I'll just wait and see.

Archived