• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Update: Canes With Interest In Backlund, Liles, and Del Zotto

CarolinaPanthers8789

Link:http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=437611

Dreger: Teams are calling about Mikael Backlund, no surprise there, specifically the Carolina Hurricanes. The Hurricanes are looking for a third line centre as well as a puck moving defenceman. Carolina has made an offer on Backlund but there's no fit there just yet. The Flames also need an age-comparable player in terms of their return.

LeBrun: Busy times in Carolina. The Hurricanes have a couple of players on their trade block including Tuomo Ruutu, Jiri Tlusty and Tim Gleason, who it sounds like will be the first player traded out of Carolina. Gleason has a contract with a couple more years left on it at $4 million but if they can move him, I believe then they could turn around and trade for a guy like John-Michael Liles.  Liles has been parked in Toronto because of his contract. For the Hurricanes to take Liles, they need the Leafs to take Ruutu and Leafs currently have no interest in picking up that deal.

After looking things over, I came up with these two deals...

Trade One

Toronto Receives: Tuomo Ruutu and Tim Gleason

Carolina Receives: John-Michael Liles Nikolai Kulemin

Trade Two

Calgary Receives: Jiri Tlusty, Riley Nash, Justin Peters

Carolina Receives: Mikael Backlund, Greg Nemisz (send to Charlotte)

Line Up

Nathan Gerbe - Eric Staal - Alexander Semin

Patrick Dwyer - Jordan Staal - Nikolai Kulemin

Jeff Skinner - Mikael Backlund - Elias Lindholm

Drayson Bowman - Manny Malhotra - Radek Dvorak

Kevin Westgarth

Andrej Sekera - Justin Faulk

Ron Hainsey - Brett Bellemore

Jay Harrison - Ryan Murphy

John-Michael Liles - Mike Komisarek

Cam Ward

Anton Khudobin

Discuss...

11/29 Update:

According to Darren Dreger (TSN's hockey insider), the Hurricanes also have interest in New York Rangers puck moving defenseman Michael Del Zotto (who is on the trading block). However, the Rangers are not interested in a Ruutu/Del Zotto trade at this point in time. Dreger also said that to his knowledge, Tim Gleason will be moved very soon.

Discuss... 2.0.

May I ask why we are looking for a center? We got 5 of them. Staal, Staal, Lindholm, Nash, and Malholtra. Then other guys that can play center when needed like Skinner, Ruutu, and Dwyer.

And why are we trying to trade Tlusty?

Nash has been pretty bad and the only way we are ever going to be able to compete is to have three lines that can score. Backlund who is a Swede could help Lindholm as he continues to ease himself into the NHL. On top of that, Backlund is real good friends with Victor Rask. Skinner, Ruutu, and Dwyer are primarily wings and you can tell by their face off percentage.

Tlusty is a free agent this year and there is a feeling that he will not re-sign with Carolina, not to mention he hasn't been very good this year.

so we're giving up on Nash after he's struggling a lil bit? He was great last season.

Why not give Tlusty another contract? He is really good

I don't think we can afford Tlusty because J.R. is an idiot and shelled out huge money to Gleason, J. Staal, Semin, and Skinner. Not to mention that Ruutu is making $4.5 million dollars for some ungodly reason.

I don't think we can afford Tlusty because J.R. is an idiot and shelled out huge money to Gleason, J. Staal, Semin, and Skinner. Not to mention that Ruutu is making $4.5 million dollars for some ungodly reason.

It sucks we give up on guys like Nash after they struggle a little, but continue to stroke Cam Ward 24/7 when he is constantly inconsistent.

We have such a weird mesh of talent that we have MANY possibilities for lines. Honestly, it's a luxury that leaves me puzzled. We haven't had this much young talent on this team at one time at any point that I can remember. I don't mind trading guys I love, like Nash and Tlusty, if we get comparable talent and an immediate upgrade, even if it is just for intangible things. 

Now, we start making these deals, I expect improvement. Del Zotto would be great, but we REALLY need dmen who can clear the net better for our goalies and get those pucks down low at a high frequency.

We have such a weird mesh of talent that we have MANY possibilities for lines. Honestly, it's a luxury that leaves me puzzled. We haven't had this much young talent on this team at one time at any point that I can remember. I don't mind trading guys I love, like Nash and Tlusty, if we get comparable talent and an immediate upgrade, even if it is just for intangible things. 

Now, we start making these deals, I expect improvement. Del Zotto would be great, but we REALLY need dmen who can clear the net better for our goalies and get those pucks down low at a high frequency.

We don't have a head coach to get the full potential out of all this talent. I am not a Muller fan. We also are going down the same road the Panthers went with Delhomme, but this time with Ward. We're going to keep him no matter how mediocre he is and even if he's past his prime.

We really do need to replace Muller. He changed the attitude of the team, but hasn't gotten the results where it matters. We're playing better, but not finishing games and getting wins, and that's the point of the game. Idk why it's so hard for JR to find a solid coach.

As for Cam...I've been running a smear campaign on my Facebook for a while now. He has got to go. He isn't good anymore. Flat out. The guy just doesn't have it anymore.

Archived