• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Newton evolution paying dividends in win column (with interesting news tidbit)

teeray

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/12/28/4573040/cam-newtons-evolution-paying-dividends.html

Nice fluff piece but I thought this was noteworthy.

Monday is the first day teams can begin to renegotiate or extend the rookie contract of a player drafted in 2011.... The Panthers likely are to begin those discussions after the season, according to a source.

There has been some discussion on here whether the Panthers should extend Cam this offseason or wait until possibly next offseason.  Sounds like they are going to try and get this done sooner rather than later.. and IMO that is a good thing.

This is what the Newspaper thinks (didn't read it yet; only your quote). 

We'll have to wait, to find out if the Panthers will Negotiate with, Franchise or wait with Cam Newton, as they did with Greg Hardy?

Ok, they did say it. 

I would have thought you would have included this quote:

It’s a season of realized potential for Carolina and its franchise quarterback. Newton’s record-breaking passing and rushing statistics are down, but the wins are up and, according to a team source, extending Newton’s contract will be a discussion this offseason.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/12/28/4573040/cam-newtons-evolution-paying-dividends.html#storylink=cpy

Ok, good you did. Now I'm back to my ("fluff") reading. Lol

This is what the Newspaper thinks (didn't read it yet; only your quote). 

We'll have to wait, to find out if the Panthers will Negotiate with, Franchise or wait with Cam Newton, as they did with Greg Hardy?

Well, I left out a key part at first that I have now edited.  This is according to a team source.  Not the opinion of the author, which is why I think it is newsworthy.

Well, I left out a key part at first that I have now edited.  This is according to a team source.  Not the opinion of the author, which is why I think it is newsworthy.

Gotcha!!  :thumbsu:

I provided that quote myself, as I read the article. Lol

But we still don't know what Gettle Magic's willing to pay. Though from what I understand, he can pay Cam up to $16 mil a year, which is what he should go for, if I was Cam. Lol

To Cam's credit: He's says he's 'not the least bit interested in contracts right now, and just wants to keep winning, one game at a time'. 

Also from the article

... the wins are up and, according to a team source, extending Newton's contract will be a discussion this offseason

Of course, you could say this is no news because of course the team would discuss it, but I took it as they would be discussing it with Cam.

I like this story/quote, and I'm still reading (though I don't like this whole bull with unequivocally marrying wins solely to a QB's performance, and listing Andy Dalton's as one of the QB's they said were better than Cam, just cause they were winning). It's not even true. Matthew Stafford has missed out on the probowl the two years Cam went. And Andy Dalton, was rarely thought of as a better QB than Cam; mostly a game manager with great receivers. Nonetheless, here's the quote:

Two weeks later, the Panthers were playing in their biggest game yet, against the Patriots on “Monday Night Football.” Newton had orchestrated an 11-play drive from the Carolina 17 and had the Panthers in the red zone with 1 minute, 17 seconds left in the game when Bell was flagged for a false start.

Bell went back to the huddle upset with himself for costing the team 5 yards on a must-score drive.

“Most people would get mad or flustered,” Bell said. “He looked at me and smiled and said, ‘Here we go. We’re about to get it.’ He turned around and threw a touchdown to Ted (Ginn Jr.) two plays later.”

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/12/28/4573040/cam-newtons-evolution-paying-dividends.html#storylink=cpy

Now if Tom Brady or Andrew Luck did that, they'd be calling them legends akin to Babe Ruths alleged call of a home run to a sick little kid in the stands on his next pitch (which many don't believe actually happened that way). 

On another note: Where's the articles on how Ron Rivera grew up as coach (in many facets)? And that's probably the main reason why the Panthers have such a good record today. It's Ron Rivera's development, as much, if not more so than Cam's. I guess that's not sexy enough??

aren't the panthers in a worse cap situation next year than they were this year?  Cam would be smart to give his GM another year to let the dust settle before signing a deal.  

Then again, he'd do himself a bigger favor by keeping that cap hit somewhat reasonable when he finally does ink that deal.  

I like this story/quote, and I'm still reading (though I don't like this whole bull with unequivocally marrying wins solely to a QB's performance, and listing Andy Dalton's as one of the QB's they said were better than Cam, just cause they were winning):

Now if Tom Brady or Andrew Luck did that, they'd be calling them legends akin to Babe Ruths alleged call of a home run to a sick little kid in the stands on his next pitch (which many don't believe actually happened that way). 

On another note: Where's the articles, on how Ron Rivera grew up as coach (in many facets). And that's probably the main reason why the Panthers have such a good record today. It's Ron Rivera's development, as much, if not more so than Cam's. 

Well, it's the same reason they keep trying to play down Cam's accomplishments by ignoring the small details. They need to feel a sense of control over a kid they seem to be extremely treatened by. Plus Cam isn't a "traditional QB."

Archived