• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Trade Talks: Okafor for Chandler

what_she_said

yall are still mad on how he got injured in the game that got you eliminated two years ago.

yes you are lucky that you didnt have to start with an expansion team just a team that made one lucky run and then fizzled sorry man but i dont see oak as the missing piece in that team.

fluer de bee hahahahahahahhahaha

Okafor had been nothing short of a stud on the otherwise pretty bad Bobcats through their expansion years. Trading arguably your best player for a guy who is only going to get worse is clearly a financial move since Chandler only has one year left and Okafor has a huge $60million price tag over several more years. Getting ready for the big 2010 offseason! Bring Lebron to Charlotte!!!

EO50 has never been a stud. He's solid, but nothing more. He plays with little or no passion, struggles defending the more athletic and bigger Centers and PF's, and does not have a very good BBIQ. In a straight comparison, he is probably better than Chandler, but not as much as many here are trying make it seem. Both are basically defensive oriented players with bad offensive games, with EO50 being a little better shot blocker and Chandler being much more athletic.

I don't like this deal because I am not comfortable with Chandler's health. But I love getting out of that mistake of a contract that EO50 will never justify. And that is what this comes down to. The FO made some mistakes and took on too many bad contracts, and over paid on others, so something had to break.

yall are still mad on how he got injured in the game that got you eliminated two years ago.

yes you are lucky that you didnt have to start with an expansion team just a team that made one lucky run and then fizzled sorry man but i dont see oak as the missing piece in that team.

fluer de bee hahahahahahahhahaha

Funny coming from a fan that would probably kill for an 8th seed, let alone a game 7 vs. a tema like the Spurs in the conference semis.

Hey guys, you do know that Chandler's only move offensivel is catching alley-oops?

Obviously Okafor's PPG indicates he is more competent on the offensive end, and playing alongside CP3 will only improve him.

That's the problem with stats, they lie. EO50 is pretty bad on the offensive end. The only shots he can hit consistently are put backs and dunks. Not saying Chandler does any better, but if you think you are getting someone that can provide some decent offense, you will definitely be disappointed. Also, EO50 is a poor finisher, so all those ally opps that Chandler caught, forget them. First of all, EO50 isn't very tall, and doesn't make up for it with athleticism or leaping ability. He also doesn't have a lot of quickness, so separating from the defender to make that play will not happen very often. And God forbid if you want him to run the pick and roll.

With that said, I'm sure CP3 will get him the ball in better position to score than he usually got here, but he has hands of stone, so there is no guarantee that he will catch it. Basically, while I understand why you are excited about a player that you only know on the perifery, the reality is that you are getting a guy that is not all that much different than the one you are giving up. Maybe more healthy, but don't expect much more productivity. But there is one thing for certain, you are picking up a much bigger contract, one that could very well hamstring you in the future. In three years I think you will be cursing the Bobcats.

The difference when healthy of the two is very, very small, with the nod going to Okafor. However, Tyson won't be healthy. At least for long periods of time. The Hornets did not put him on the block b/c of his salary back in Februrary, they didn't want to be handcuffed to a center with a bad leg.

No one is asking Okafor to be a beast on offense, if he can keep his PPG average give or take that's fine. The Hornets needed his post defense and rebounding, thw two things that sank the Hornets last year.

Chandler has a degenerative toe condition, that's the only reason we dealt him.

Okafor on the other hand, has played in 92 straight games.

And that's where you come out significantly ahead. I guess, for the Bobcats, it comes down to whether or not they can get a year or so of quality out of Chandler before his toe explodes again. Then next year, he becomes an expiring, so may gain value as a trade asset.

Guest BradThomas

Even if Chandler is damaged goods, the Bobcats saved themselves $40 million.

I think we get the same production from Diop or Nazr with similar playing time.

And FYI, after the 2011 season, we will have about 24 Million in cap space that comes off the books with Chandler's, Nazr's, and Radman's contracts all up. So that gives us some options next year. For instance, all three will be expiring contracts, so they will have some value as trade assets.

And while the Bobcats will have a tough time getting FA's to come here until they show they can win, the cap space will put us in a position to make trades with other teams in an effort to pick up solid players...of course, the FO would have to avoid the mistakes that put us in the financial mess we are in now, and that is no given. But with that cap space, if they can make a few smart moves, it could really be a boon. Of course we will likely have a new owner then, and probably a different group of decision makers, so we can only hope they will make better decisions than what we currently have.

Guest BradThomas

Woodie, at least it gives a malleable team to the new ownership, which is attractive. Nobody wants a team saddled with crappy contracts and marginal players.

Okafor always reminded me of Julius Peppers. When he is really on it, he's a fantastic defensive player, but I never really felt like he gave it his all. Okafor is the kind of player to get you excited enough, but he doesn't have the heart or passion to be that franchise player that the Bobcats wanted out of him.

With that being said though, this is straight highway robbery. I honestly can't see Chandler doing anything in our offense.

Okafor always reminded me of Julius Peppers. When he is really on it, he's a fantastic defensive player, but I never really felt like he gave it his all. Okafor is the kind of player to get you excited enough, but he doesn't have the heart or passion to be that franchise player that the Bobcats wanted out of him.

With that being said though, this is straight highway robbery. I honestly can't see Chandler doing anything in our offense.

I don't see this as "highway robbery" we get a little flexablity cap wise and we get a better defensive fit for our team. Okafor is not a true center and couldn't match up with the bigger athletic guys. Offensive we lose a little with Chandler only from the sense of offensive rebounds and keeping things alive which Okafor is great at. But Chandler is more atheltic has a better jumper and will fit into a more up tempo type of offense.

I'll miss Okafor but that contract we gave him last yr isway too inflated, with how the market has turned and owners are more financally responsible if he were a FA this off season he would be getting a contract at about 8mill a yr.

Archived