• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers training camp beckons

Zod

(By David Scott, [email protected]) There's a reason a group of Carolina Panthers players spent Thursday morning sweating in the July heat on Ardrey Kell High's football field ndash; rather than relaxing as the beginning of the team's training camp looms.p/ldquo;If you want a job in the fall,rdquo; says safety Chris Harris, ldquo;you can't relax in the summer.rdquo;p/Harris, sweating in a long-sleeve T-shirt after the voluntary workout ends, is a vocal part of the group that worked out with Charlotte athletic trainer Jeremy Boone most weekday mornings since early June.p/Boone puts the players through the kind of grueling conditioning and agility drills ndash; wind sprints, running around cones, pushing blocking sleds ndash; they'll face when training camp opens Monday in Spartanburg.p/But he also keeps it light.p/Thursday's workout, which concludes with a spirited game of Ultimate Frisbee, also includes a ldquo;rock-paper-scissorsrdquo; contest in which the loser chases down the winner and tags him. p/As the summer wore on, the Panthers group included at various times: Harris, defensive end Tyler Brayton, fullback Brad Hoover, running back DeAngelo Williams, quarterback Matt Moore, receiver Ryne Robinson, linebackers Thomas Davis and James Anderson and defensive tackle Damione Lewis. Appalachian State tight end Ben Jorden (who played at Charlotte Latin) also trained with the pros. p/ldquo;The two weeks before training camp is the most important time of the season,rdquo; says Williams, who finished third in the NFL in rushing last season with 1,515 yards. ldquo;It lets you know where you are. I'm finding out what I can do and what I can't do.p/ldquo;Hopefully I have more can-do's than can't-do's.rdquo;p/The training session doesn't reveal much about the players' conditioning, except that they all come through it with ease. And Robinson looks lithe and agile after recovering from the knee injury that doomed his 2008 season.p/The 75-minute workout concludes. Spartanburg beckons.p/Brayton gets in one final stretch.p/ldquo;Summer's over,rdquo; he says.

More...

All of this real Panthers news has me freaking out a little bit. I'm too used to the rumor and speculation from the summer of doom.

:D get used to it! hopefully the "real panthers news" will be good news this season...

Archived