• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hakeem Nicks: "I can see myself catching passes from Cam Newton" (among others)

Gabeking

Can I just ask this?

Lafell and Nicks both entered key contract seasons! Who came out better?.

Now I'm not saying who's the better player, I'm just asking the question, surely playing for your future should motivate you, either to stay and earn a deal or to play well too attract other teams of your ability.

They both apparently failed to impress, Both had roughly the same number of receptions LaFell 49, Nicks 56, LaFell had the TD's (5), Nicks had the yards 896 and a very respectable 16.0 yards per reception, basically he averaged an extra 20 yards per game than LaFell. LaFell caught 57.6%, Nicks 55.4% but  Nicks had a slightly larger percentage of those as deep passes so its pretty negligible.

Sooooo, you tell me?

They both apparently failed to impress, Both had roughly the same number of receptions LaFell 49, Nicks 56, LaFell had the TD's (5), Nicks had the yards 896 and a very respectable 16.0 yards per reception, basically he averaged an extra 20 yards per game than LaFell. LaFell caught 57.6%, Nicks 55.4% but Nicks had a slightly larger percentage of those as deep passes so its pretty negligible.

Sooooo, you tell me?

Don't sound a lot of difference in production considering the money difference there will be for both these guys in FA

Don't sound a lot of difference in production considering the money difference there will be for both these guys in FA

Not based on last years stats anyway. Then if you factor in the O's as well, the Giants had 100 more pass attempts and were playing from behind a lot whereas we were more conservative playing with a lead most of the time its even more confusing.

You're really looking at Nicks returning to his earlier years production where he had the TD's to match the yardage, or hoping for it anyway. But that can be kind of dangerous and wishfull thinking. It all depends on how motivated he truly is, id be concerned about handing him a long term deal.

Giant fans seem to think he half assed it the last year or 2.

Not based on last years stats anyway. Then if you factor in the O's as well, the Giants had 100 more pass attempts and were playing from behind a lot whereas we were more conservative playing with a lead most of the time its even more confusing.

You're really looking at Nicks returning to his earlier years production where he had the TD's to match the yardage, or hoping for it anyway. But that can be kind of dangerous and wishfull thinking. It all depends on how motivated he truly is, id be concerned about handing him a long term deal.

Giant fans seem to think he half assed it the last year or 2.

Sounds ever so tempting doesn't he lol, it's a risk I guess, I'm just not sure at all, but then Rice would be too based on injury history.

Didn't Smitty admit to checking out on Clausen?

Well if he did, I can't find it.  He admitted being frustrated and disappointed. He even said the he didn't believe that he was playing to his usual standards, but anyone could see that it was more about frustration than just emotionally checking out and losing focus.

To be honest, even though I watched the games, I can tell you that I did not pay too close of attention to the off-field interviews and such. As you can imagine, "I checked out."

As for Nicks, I followed him a lot since 2012 being that there has always been interest with him coming home, and the fact that he was on my fantasy team (until I couldn't take it anymore), so I read many many press reports. That being said, I read many like intimations about Nicks' issues that can basically be summed up by a short summary written in January.

The Giants reportedly “fell out of love” with Nicks after he piled up a few fines this past season for being late to meetings. It appeared as if he stopped caring about the team and his job, and that is always a dangerous situation to have. There have been no rumors as to how much value he will have on the free agent market, but as stated above there likely will be teams looking to sign him simply because of his potential...He seems to have a lack of focus and sometimes effort on the field. It will be interesting to see if that scares potential suitors away this offseason or if they believe that they can help turn his career around.

Now if Smitty didn't display such behavior while playing with Jimmy Clausen, it seems like a little bit of a bitter pill to swallow to that Nicks would have checked out on two-time Super Bowl champion Eli Manning.  It's all about professionalism.  I am not saying that Nicks doesn't intrigue me, and I'd probably smile if the Panthers signed him to a fair deal commensurate with his level of production throughout his career, but I also wouldn't act like the red flags don't exist. 

Nicks is talented, I don't think there are many who will dispute that. But there are concerns. You can't blame Eli Manning, or his other teammates for Nicks missing team meetings in the same losing season in which he was publicly declaring to the media that he is one of the best receivers in the league, while also failing to reach the end zone even once.

while i understand the giants and eli had a terrible year. i honestly dont know how a WR can get as many rec yards and receptions and not score ONCE. 2012 wasnt  the giants best either, but that team was much better than this season......and  nicks only managed to score 3 times. and yes i know he missed some games. Nicks is responsible for his fair share of his troubles. its not 100%  on Eli or the giants. and because of that every team should take pause when it comes to nicks.

Nicks is more of the mid to deep WR. If you recall the panthers raped the giants 38-0 with I think 7 sacks. The OL is garbage so there isn't really enough time for Nicks to get open on his routes. 

You remember the superbowl where the Hawks DL destoryed the broncos OL. Basically the giants OL played like the superbowl broncos OL for most of the season. 

To be fair, he said luck first. He talked about how awesome he would be with luck.. Then mentioned cam later.

You sir made this thread like we are in celebration. Get your poo together stew. Its like a girl kissiing on some other guy, but smiles at you and you claim she wants you

Sent from my XT1055 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

He will be cheap and with a vertical throwing qb if he is healthy (big if) he can be a threat..

the only & I mean ONLY attractive thing a/b him to me is his size. He's around 6'4 which is right around Cam's alley. But stays hurt & unlike Nicks he fails to be productive at all when unhealthy. I wouldn't be surprised at all if we settled for him tho. It would really suck but I could see it

To be fair, he said luck first. He talked about how awesome he would be with luck.. Then mentioned cam later.

You sir made this thread like we are in celebration. Get your poo together stew. Its like a girl kissiing on some other guy, but smiles at you and you claim she wants you

Sent from my XT1055 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

you mad or nah?

Archived