• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hornets Sign Marvin Williams

It's interesting to read the opinion of this signing on some of the bigger general NBA boards around the internet. It's widely regarded as one of the worst signings of the summer.

Because places like RealGM have the idea that tanking seasons are a success and if you're not in the finals or not tanking you're on a treadmill and every player outside of LeBron that gets over the vet minimum is an over pay.

At first glance it looks bad but if this guy can bring what mcbob did with the addition of better defense then we got good value. It all depends on what they are trying to do with him.

It's a bad decision because it's $7M per season. I don't care how he produces, that's still too much.

I thought people were getting paid based on what they've proven they could do up to this point. If not, then everyone demands a great contract just because they want one.

This is where you're wrong and you're getting caught up. You don't just pay a player based on their past production and match that with what has historically been an appropriate salary range. You have to consider the following:

*Where does the player rank on the FA list?

*Where does he rank on FAs at his position?

*How much is that a position of need for your team?

*How many other teams are in need of a Player at that position?

*How many teams are targeting that players?

*Do those teams have the cap space to outbid you?

*Are you ultimately will do what it takes to make the investment and close the deal?

When I first read the signing I was, too, like WTF. But then I looked closer and thought 1) we need a starting PF more than a starting SG at the moment, 2) Cliff puts big value on a stretch 4, 3) no other PF available is obviously that much better than MW, 4) we've all agreed that Charlotte is going to probably have to pay a little more to close deals (see Hayward)

They valued the position and went after what they thought was the best available and closed him. They did what it took in this market which is why $7M is his MARKET VALUE, not his perceived value based on past performance.

It's not hard to understand. But you guys can still stick with the "he's a UNC fan" argument since you don't have any that are better.

Sent from my iPhone

This is where you're wrong and you're getting caught up. You don't just pay a player based on their past production and match that with what has historically been an appropriate salary range. 

Sent from my iPhone

I know you don't just pay a player based on their last production, and never said that was MY position, so I stopped reading your post right there.

I was being sarcastic based on what some people were saying about why Hayward could be paid $15M compared to Stephenson.

I know you don't just pay a player based on their last production, and never said that was MY position, so I stopped reading your post right there.

I was being sarcastic based on what some people were saying about why Hayward could be paid $15M compared to Stephenson.

Then what's your problem with MW getting $7M then?

Sent from my iPhone

Ohhhh.....this is all about your obsession with Stephenson which makes you totally disregard that our need of a starting stretch 4 is greater than our need at starting SG. Got it now!

Sent from my iPhone

SEVEN MILLION A YEAR WAS TOO MUCH FOR WILLIAMS!

HE IS NOT WORTH ALMOST AS MUCH AS DENG!

HE IS NOT WORTH MORE A SEASON THAN PAUL PIERCE EVEN AT THIS STAGE OF PIERCE'S CAREER!

The SG spot was the biggest need heading into the offseason, and it makes no sense to tie that much money up in Marvin Williams, hurting your chances at getting the best SG remaining in free agency. 

If there was another SG out there that fit the Hornets' system and needs as well as Stephenson, I might be using another name instead of his, but there isn't, so it is what it is. 

SEVEN MILLION A YEAR WAS TOO MUCH FOR WILLIAMS!

HE IS NOT WORTH ALMOST AS MUCH AS DENG!

HE IS NOT WORTH MORE A SEASON THAN PAUL PIERCE EVEN AT THIS STAGE OF PIERCE'S CAREER!

The SG spot was the biggest need heading into the offseason, and it makes no sense to tie that much money up in Marvin Williams, hurting your chances at getting the best SG remaining in free agency.

If there was another SG out there that fit the Hornets' system and needs as well as Stephenson, I might be using another name instead of his, but there isn't, so it is what it is.

You should go back and read my post since you have ZERO idea what market value is. You can say you're not using past production to place a value on MW but if you can't say WHY $7M was too much then what else should we believe your reasoning is?

SG was our biggest need. We addressed it in the draft for one. Once McBob left and we drafted a SG, PF became our biggest need.

Not having a starting caliber stretch 4 will have more of a negative impact on this team than not signing another SG.

Sent from my iPhone

Didn't Deng get $20M? Since when are $20M and $14M close to the same number?

Sent from my iPhone

Not to mention Deng has played like hot garbage in recent years.

Marvin could average 15/7 & people will still bash him because he's from UNC. Just like people bash Hairston/Henderson no matter what.

Archived