• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The problem with filling holes after cuts discussion

ForMac

There is some chatter every season to pickup talent that a majority seems to think will outperform what we currently hold on our roster. The popular skills gap that a large enough voice from the fanbase want replacement players for these positions.

SS

LT

WR2

And to a smaller degree

CB

PR

OT Depth

The main thing people seem to forget is there are always many teams looking for upgrades at the same positions. I cringe when I hear "No worries, we will fix up these holes by watching the waiver wire after final cuts. First there is a system to be learned so that player even if naturally more gifted then who he is replacing will take and unknown amount of time to become a better quality starter. Another obvious problem is not all recently cut free agents will decide the Panthers is the team for them to continue their career with.

I guess you could get into a "The answer is already on your roster" point of view, but sometimes talent can be found by offering draft picks if you really feel one positions is gonna completely derail our season. The only player I view as trade worthy to ensure we aquire the services of would be Roo's. Keeping in mind my previous point that it will take him time to show more than Bell or Chandler. Is he that much better then both our projects that we will have to deal with more cap issues, and sacrifice a draft pick for?

How about WR's or any of the other positions that we have concerns at? Is there anyone worth trading for rather then developing our own talent? I agree with the huge concern of a starting SS caliber player, but im in the miniority that I would rather slug it out with a Harper and .... Godfrey filling the gap atleast for one more season at the SS position.

Summary,

Any players worth trading draft picks for the replace our current starters/depth?

Anyone so detrimental to the team as a starter that will derail our season?

Anyone else agree better odds to play serviceable players and fill the holes in the draft and free agency with a offseason to prepare?

Archived