• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

General Positions Questions Thread

Mark S

I have been following football for quite a while now but I have always wondered a couple things about positions on the football field:

-Difference between FS and SS

-Difference between HB and FB

-Difference between DT and NT

-What a Nickel CB is

Maybe some of you have some questions as well.

I have been following football for quite a while now but I have always wondered a couple things about positions on the football field:

-Difference between FS and SS

-Difference between HB and FB

-Difference between DT and NT

-What a Nickel CB is

Maybe some of you have some questions as well.

FS covers the weak side of the field/last ditch guy.

SS cover the strong side of the field, and is asked to run with TE's more.

Halfback is usually smaller, shiftier, faster, and is the main ball carrier in most offenses.

Fullback is stout, is a good blocker, and leads the way for the HB.

DT usually refers to the position of Tackle, and a nose talk is usually a sub set of that.  NT's normally line up in the face of the C or in a gap on either side of him...normally.  They are normally shorter, but have great strength, not needed to rush the passer but to hold onto two OL and not get pushed back.  Star could be a NT in some schemes, KK could not.

Nickel Corner usually describes a 3rd corner as most base D's have 2 CB's and 2 S's.  When extra WR's are brought in (3 wide or more) the nickel is brought in.  These days most teams base is nickel as many teams run with extra WR's.

FS covers the weak side of the field/last ditch guy.

SS cover the strong side of the field, and is asked to run with TE's more.

Halfback is usually smaller, shiftier, faster, and is the main ball carrier in most offenses.

Fullback is stout, is a good blocker, and leads the way for the HB.

DT usually refers to the position of Tackle, and a nose talk is usually a sub set of that. NT's normally line up in the face of the C or in a gap on either side of him...normally. They are normally shorter, but have great strength, not needed to rush the passer but to hold onto two OL and not get pushed back. Star could be a NT in some schemes, KK could not.

Nickel Corner usually describes a 3rd corner as most base D's have 2 CB's and 2 S's. When extra WR's are brought in (3 wide or more) the nickel is brought in. These days most teams base is nickel as many teams run with extra WR's.

Very much appreciated. That cleared it up for me.

Archived