• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

DeAngelo Williams: Best in Football

NewEnglandAFChamps

Just to sneak a rock in your pillow case. Couldn't his success be, in part, to Stewart's ability to run the ball. A healthy and WELL rested HB attributes a lot of his yards/carry and other stats to the "other" guy. Without Stewchunk, he's wouldn't be doing things he's doing.

So, in other words, those numbers, as always, don't mean much considering they don't show the whole picture.

Alot of great RBs now have had the same luxruy. AP/Taylor, Tomlinson/Turner, Turner/Norwood.

Yes, he is the best running back in the league. I posted on the board during about the fourth week of the season and said there is no way Adrian Peterson is any better. Or Barry Sanders for that reason.

The board went nuts. There were about 30 responses. Maybe two people said it was possible, but wait longer to see. I told them I had watched DeAngelo at Memphis for four years, and though I graduated from there I was not a homer. The bottom line is that everyone thought I was nuts. He was nowhere close to Adrian Peterson, can't even mention them in the same breath.

DeAngelo was stat wise the greatest college running back of all time. And what he is doing right now is remarkable. For some reason people have a hard time thinking that Barry Sanders is some God and that DeAngelo has to do it for five years, then maybe we can talk.

These people need to watch. What he is doing is not a fluke. Only the idiots on this board think it is a fluke. Now, I agree that before he can be ranked as the xy or z greatest running back of all time, he has to do this for a few more years.

Agreed. However every day I see more and more people agreeing with me, slowly but surely. He has 100 or so less carries than Adrian Peterson. More runs than AP over 40 yards. AP has six fumbles. DeAngelo has zero.

At some point you simply have to look at stats and say, at least in 2009, DeAngelo is having the best year.

Now, having said that, stats can lie. DeAngelo is always fresh. Adrian Peterson isn't, that may change things a bit. Honestly, however, if DeAngelo carried one more time per quarter plus two more, would that really affect his ability? I doubt it.

Barry Sanders got yanked at the goal line, he could not make short runs. Was not a power back. DeAngelo can be a power back, or a "scatback" runner. Take your choice.

I am right with you. Best runner in the NFL. Stats don't like, at some point. People who think anyone else is better than DeAngelo, other than the possibility of AP, have their head up their you know what.

When I say I saw him at Memphis, not every game. I am 62 years old and have been watching football since the early sixties. DeAngelo is simply the best that has ever been. Some people stronger? Yes, but they don't have his moves. A few people with better moves? Maybe, but they don't have his power.

He's the best that has ever played the game. Because he will share time with Jonathan Stewart, he will never put up numbers like a few other backs. But when he leaves the league, it will be with the highest ypc average in history.

Wait and see....

Well, he has been the best RB in the second half of this season. That's for sure. I think it's at least safe for us to call him a top 5 back now. Really the only current back that might have more pure talent is AP.

D William's 5.5 yds per carry is higher than any back with over 85 carries. He leads the league in total touch downs (16). He's second in rushing TDs (14). He has the most runs over 40 yds (5). He has 0 fumbles this season.

Give the man the 100 extra carries that Turner and Peterson have and he would have as many yards, if not more.

again, let's see if he can keep this up for more than one year at the PRO level.

i don't care what he did in college. that doesn't matter largely because of who he was playing at the time which wasn't usually top tier college talent.

i am not saying he can't be the best ever but i am saying that it isn't likely.

from this era right now he has some very serious competitors. ladanian tomlinson being the chief one. he has scored every 21 times he has touched the ball. this year has been a weak spot for him but he will still be able to get double digit TDs.

can you make a perfect comparison of them? no as you can't with really any two RBs.

but what sanders did is something that will be hard to duplicate. you have him with a better team than the crap he had in detroit and he would have been able to do a lot more....or would he?

there are far too many what-ifs involved and we may never know for sure but one thing i have said before that i will keep on saying to anyone who keeps bringing this subject up that is really starting to bore/annoy a lot of people in here: let him repeat the success over the course of several years at this level and then we can talk. until then it's all just wishful thinking.

i swear this is about as dumb an argument as who is going to be the next jimi hendrix.

Yes, he is the best running back in the league. I posted on the board during about the fourth week of the season and said there is no way Adrian Peterson is any better. Or Barry Sanders for that reason.

The board went nuts. There were about 30 responses. Maybe two people said it was possible, but wait longer to see. I told them I had watched DeAngelo at Memphis for four years, and though I graduated from there I was not a homer. The bottom line is that everyone thought I was nuts. He was nowhere close to Adrian Peterson, can't even mention them in the same breath.

DeAngelo was stat wise the greatest college running back of all time. And what he is doing right now is remarkable. For some reason people have a hard time thinking that Barry Sanders is some God and that DeAngelo has to do it for five years, then maybe we can talk.

These people need to watch. What he is doing is not a fluke. Only the idiots on this board think it is a fluke. Now, I agree that before he can be ranked as the xy or z greatest running back of all time, he has to do this for a few more years.

Agreed. However every day I see more and more people agreeing with me, slowly but surely. He has 100 or so less carries than Adrian Peterson. More runs than AP over 40 yards. AP has six fumbles. DeAngelo has zero.

At some point you simply have to look at stats and say, at least in 2009, DeAngelo is having the best year.

Now, having said that, stats can lie. DeAngelo is always fresh. Adrian Peterson isn't, that may change things a bit. Honestly, however, if DeAngelo carried one more time per quarter plus two more, would that really affect his ability? I doubt it.

Barry Sanders got yanked at the goal line, he could not make short runs. Was not a power back. DeAngelo can be a power back, or a "scatback" runner. Take your choice.

I am right with you. Best runner in the NFL. Stats don't like, at some point. People who think anyone else is better than DeAngelo, other than the possibility of AP, have their head up their you know what.

When I say I saw him at Memphis, not every game. I am 62 years old and have been watching football since the early sixties. DeAngelo is simply the best that has ever been. Some people stronger? Yes, but they don't have his moves. A few people with better moves? Maybe, but they don't have his power.

He's the best that has ever played the game. Because he will share time with Jonathan Stewart, he will never put up numbers like a few other backs. But when he leaves the league, it will be with the highest ypc average in history.

Wait and see....

You're a moron

I've been saying this for a while now but the best runningback in the league is DeAngelo Williams for a few reasons IMO.

1. D-Will is second in TDs of the top 4 HBs. He has 14 so far, in front of Adrian Peterson's 9, and Clinton Portis's 7.

2. He has the longest TD run out of all of them at a 69 yard run, and just capped off a 56 yrd run this past week

3. He has the highest yards per carry average of 5.5 which tops everyone in the top 4 category

4. He has no fumbles and the fewest attempts of them all at 224 atts compared to Adrian Peterson's 320, Clinton's 291 and Turner 332 yet right there with them in yardage and closing in pretty fast

5. Along with having the most runs beyond 40 yards at 5 of them over AP's 3, Clinton's 0 and Turner's 1 he has the ability to stop, cut and change direction just out of the drop of a dime that I've seen since Barry Sanders. And LT could never do that as fast and as swiftly as D-Will can along with the ability to elude tackles and run you over.

You can argue but NUMBERS DON'T LIE people

M-V F***ing-P

MVP...MVP...MVP...MVP

I'll settle 4 a ring though

Homerific are we? One of the best for sure but the Barry Sanders comments have got to go. He cannot cut like Barry did, he has some nice cuts but certainly not like Sanders. I always wondered why he sat behind Foster.

?

Yes, the comparison to Barry Sanders is premature and, well, makes no sense, but what does any of that have to do with him sitting behind Foster?

John Fox likes to stick with his starters. He likes to give them the benefit of the doubt, and he ends up sticking to the status quo for too long. That's the only excuse we have for that situation, seeing as how it made absolutely no sense.

I like it when coaches stand by 'em but there has to be a point where you just go "this guy sucks"

Archived