• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

UPDATED: AI to sign with Grizz

Sam Mills Fan

I think we can all agree now as a city and blogosphere that it's now B. Johnson's put up or shut up moment.

Get AI the value of your team goes up. If you don't you look cheap and nobody will want to play for you.

They're reporting that he may be taking his chips off the table. I couldn't see a better reason.

Jordan knows. Who wouldn't have signed a 34 or so year old Jordan?

Guest BradThomas

Now they are talking about Iverson to the Grizzlies. Ouch.

I wonder if the potential sale is hindering any negotiations with Iverson.

I think we can all agree now as a city and blogosphere that it's now B. Johnson's put up or shut up moment.

We've heard this a million times for the past 5 years. Nothing's changed. Everytime Bob makes a positive move, there's 30 new ones he must make to prove he's not tryna rob us all blind. It wont be up to Bob whether AI comes here or not, it'll be up to AI. Bob could want him here all he wants but if AI dont wanna be here, guess what?

Larry Brown.

I dont think thats enough to lure AI. It might be, but I dont think that is the dealbreaker for Iverson as its been hyped up. If he comes here, I'll be happy, but Im not expecting miracles and Im not expecting us to become a better team because I dont see it. Dude is washed up and not the same player he was, and he's not the leader you want as the face of your franchise. Anything he brings to the table would be short term. There's a reason why only teams like the Grizz, us, the Clippers are even entertaining bringing him in.

The guy can still score and that's what we need. We need a D to collapse on such a player to open up lanes for G. Wallace to do his thing.

That's the issue with playing time. Brown knows exactly what AI needs as far as PT and monetary respect go.

Brown said it's the money and the playing time. That's as blunt as you can get. IMHO I think the Felton issue is slowing things because of them not knowing but come on!?! He may not want to sign and get traded, who knows?

You own a team. Don't cry about it. Put up or shut up.

I'm tired of the media talking about it. I'm tired of hearing about it.

Its not that easy man. Yall gotta understand, the NBA is not like the NFL, the NBA players union is more powerful and the players have almost total control over where they will be employed. Bob Johnson has NEVER made basketball decisions for this franchise EVER. When Bernie was here, he did, and now MJ does, so why are you telling Bob Johnson to put up or shut up when he's probably vacationing in France or something. It wont be his call.

Lets look at what AI will bring...

-bandwagon fans who will jump on board because we have a washed up "star" player

-more scoring and FT attempts

-more national visibility

Lets look at what AI wont bring

-unconditional leadership

-defense (we will go from being strong at the 2 guard spot defensively to having to hide AI and hope the other team wont capitalize)

-someone who's willing to come off the bench to help his team if need be

You can look at the last 2 situations AI was in and see dude does NOT make teams better. He's a volume shooter, albeit a Hall Of Fame one, but a volume shooter none the less. He needs 30 shots to make an impact, always shoots a low percentage (like another guard we already have), and is a HUGE defensive liablity. I used to defend this guy back in the day, but after the Nugs and the Pistons situation its clear AI while a great player is not motivated to win championships and isnt willing to do WHATEVER it takes to win. Sure, we could bring him in and increse jersey sales for a year or two, but I just dont see it as being worth it. I'd rather we spend our cash on a younger player who has more upside than AI.

We didn't boot George Shinn out of town for nothing. It was stuff like this. The owner is known to be cheap so players go elsewhere.

AI at the same time should know that if you give a little, especially someone in his position, you get a lot in return. Working with your first and best NBA coach, playing for a great salary in a very nice city... priceless...

IDK

Its not that easy man. Yall gotta understand, the NBA is not like the NFL, the NBA players union is more powerful and the players have almost total control over where they will be employed. Bob Johnson has NEVER made basketball decisions for this franchise EVER. When Bernie was here, he did, and now MJ does, so why are you telling Bob Johnson to put up or shut up when he's probably vacationing in France or something. It wont be his call.

Lets look at what AI will bring...

-bandwagon fans who will jump on board because we have a washed up "star" player

-more scoring and FT attempts

-more national visibility

Lets look at what AI wont bring

-unconditional leadership

-defense (we will go from being strong at the 2 guard spot defensively to having to hide AI and hope the other team wont capitalize)

-someone who's willing to come off the bench to help his team if need be

You can look at the last 2 situations AI was in and see dude does NOT make teams better. He's a volume shooter, albeit a Hall Of Fame one, but a volume shooter none the less. He needs 30 shots to make an impact, always shoots a low percentage (like another guard we already have), and is a HUGE defensive liablity. I used to defend this guy back in the day, but after the Nugs and the Pistons situation its clear AI while a great player is not motivated to win championships and isnt willing to do WHATEVER it takes to win. Sure, we could bring him in and increse jersey sales for a year or two, but I just dont see it as being worth it. I'd rather we spend our cash on a younger player who has more upside than AI.

Larry Brown is basically putting his TEAM together. We have great players already. You need scorers that can put the ball in the hoop to get to the play offs. He is just one more. He is not the focus. It is a team. Larry Browns team.

If Johnson wanted this done it would be done. Yes it is basically about the money. The players union won't stand in the way of that. AI must shook you so hard you broke a knee cap or somethin' :D

Archived