• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Intimidator

StepandFetch

while the Borg was fun, the way it ends is somewhat painful. it's because leaving the station you are layed down about 5 degrees past level, and get flipped over for that flying feeling, but it doesn't leave you flipped coming back into the station. The VERY abrupt stop at the end sent so much blood into my head that several veins in forehead began to show, and they leave you there just as long as any other coaster does. You finally get put back upright once you pull into the station. I went in that day planning to ride it several times and only rode it once because of this.

As for tearing something down...Don't they have plenty of land?

ok ok I didn't quite let on that I was a thrill ride enthusiast... I love roller coasters and have ridden many at different parks..

The clamshell restraints/ open- air stadium seating are two of the best components of the B&M hyper... I think our new coaster would easily be the best of all B&M hypers if the original plans had been carried out- that is- the first drop would have been steeper- around 80+ degrees- and the turn up to the micro-brake would have been a tight helix instead of just a turn... but who knows? It is difficult to see how great this ride will truly be from the video... it all depends on pacing: the faster, the better.

The end of the ride looks a bit slow and muted... we will just have to wait and see.

And about how big this thing will be and where it will go: the station/ lift hill/ brake run will all go where the log flume was, near the front of the park. The coaster will extend from the flume's footprint, up to the north gate, down to the south gate over re-claimed parking lot, and all the way back. If you know how far that is, then you understand how HUGE this coaster is going to be! It will look magnificent from the interstate.

They tore down the water logs. plus it is taking some of the parking lot if I remember correctly. Kings Dominion is also building a new coaster call Intimidator 305 which is higher and faster.

our intimidator is longer... and it looks like more fun IMO... there's very little air time on the other intimidator.. and I gotta have my air time

Last time I went was the first and only time ive been since I kinda grew up and filled out...now im about 6'5" and 210 lbs, and I felt like I had gotten hit by a truck by the time the day was over....I just dont fit well in most of those rides.

I went to Carowinds a couple weeks ago and Thunder Road has become a very rough ride. It was more painful than fun when we went on it. I don't remember there being so many jarring bumps on the track or it shaking so violently in past years. Was killer on my lower back.

That's the ride's charm. ;)

Bigger and better roller coasters have been built for more thrills but nothing beats the feeling on thunder road that this could finally be the run where this PoS ride finally gives out.

Cedar Fair is in the 3rd year of a 5 year retracking project for Thunder Road. Dunno if anyone noticed it, but the ride out is really smooth and enjoyable. The ride back though, is almost as bad as the Hurler.

And I'm really happy with the mid-course brakes being after all the hills. The diving helix is more of a cooldown after all that romping around.

The diving helix also reminds me a little of the Wild Bull that used to be where Afterburn is now.

Loved the Wild Bull!

Hate the log flume is gone, though...that and Rip Roarin' Rapids where the only two things you could get wet on there back in the day.

and come out smelling like afro sheen, sun tan lotion, and whatever else the masses would be wearing. i'm glad they put those cool zones up, and got rid of the need for those two rides. hell, even the pool in the water park area has that terrible smell.

Archived