• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mock Offseason 3.0

CatalystNX

My third attempt. Went with projections for comp. picks.

------------------------------------------

RELEASE:
DeAngelo Williams (June 1st)

RE-SIGN:

Richie Brockel (1 year)

CONTRACT EXTENSIONS:
Greg Olsen (4 years)
Thomas Davis (4 years)

Josh Norman (5 years)

FREE AGENCY:

Jabaal Sheard, DE, Browns (5 years)

Chad+Henne+Jacksonville+Jaguars+v+Clevel

The first of two "splash" signings I made in this mock. It would depend on what kind of contract he wants, but I don't expect Sheard to get JPP money or anything. We all know Gettleman loves his pass rushers and our defense is built around it. We also know he was interested in signing Peppers last offseason, so I think it's reasonable to assume we could bring in a guy like Jabaal Sheard this year. He's been miscast as a 3-4 OLB the last couple years, but early in his career played really well at DE in a 4-3 scheme. I think he'd be a perfect fit for us taking Hardy's place and giving us one of the deepest DL rotations in football.

Doug Free, OT, Cowboys (4 years)

DougFree.jpg

The second "splash" signing. Ideally, we sign Free to play right tackle with Remmers serving as great depth. However, Free can also play left tackle and that would give us a bit of flexibility heading into the draft. He's not a long-term answer at left tackle, but he could hold it down for a year until we find that answer if the draft doesn't fall our way this year. And if it does, he's a great right tackle.

Davon House, CB, Packers (3 years)

USATSI_7455132_168380188_lowres.jpg

He's got special teams value, but honestly I think this guy could be a big time steal on a mid-tier FA deal. He's never really been given the chance to start in Green Bay, but he's flashed starter ability when on the field. He shouldn't cost a ton and we can bring him in and let him compete. Ideally, we start him and Norman outside and move Bene' to nickel where he's better suited. If it doesn't work out that way, House is a good special teams player and outstading depth in the secondary.

Ted Ginn, WR/KR, Cardinals (2 years)

082213-NFL-Carolina-Panthers-Ted-Ginn-TV

While he's still under contract to the Cardinals, it's a safe bet they release him to save cap space. Ginn had one of his best years here in 2013 and I'm sure would love to come back. He's already got chemistry with Cam, knows the offense, provides the deep threat we're lacking, and fixes our punt return woes as well. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Stevie Brown, SS, Giants (1 year)

Stevie+Brown+New+York+Jets+v+New+York+Gi

Brown has connections to Dave Gettleman from his NYG days and would be a great signing to bring in to compete with Roman Harper at strong safety, perhaps along with a mid-round rookie. If nothing else he's solid veteran depth and he shouldn't cost a lot to bring in on a 1 or 2 year deal.

Corey Peters, DT, Falcons (2 years)

ap-6251b2978d494c66956027d7c88b4c08.jpg

Assuming Dwan Edwards is likely gone, we're going to need to add someone fairly cheap who can fill his spot. Corey Peters is a solid veteran tackle who can rush the passer and play solid against the run as well. He'd be a good addition to our DL rotation.

2015 NFL DRAFT

1st: Breshad Perriman, WR, UCF

tumblr_naufn1V2i51rmkxndo1_500.jpg

Breshad Perriman hasn't been mentioned as a legit 1st round prospect until recently, but this guy is a monster and would give us one of the best young WR duos in the game and quite possibly the most physically imposing. That's huge when going up against the Legion of Boom as we're almost certain to have to in the playoffs the next several years if we ever want to reach the Super Bowl. Benjamin and Perriman on the outside, Ginn in the slot (or Philly Brown), Greg Olsen at TE, and Cam's running threat... that's a scary thought for opposing defenses.

2nd: Cedric Ogbuehi, OT, Texas A&M

0ap3000000426741.jpg

If not for his torn ACL he'd be a sure-fire 1st round pick. That said, if he's still on the board when we pick in round 2 we should jump all over him. Remember the Doug Free signing? Well, even if Ogbuehi's not ready to go by week 1 we've got both tackle spots covered with Free and Remmers. Long-term he's our left tackle with Free on the right side.

3rd: Ellis McCarthy, DT, UCLA

Ellis+McCarthy+Colorado+v+UCLA+mX3A-kefF

Keeping our strengths strong with this pick and giving us a massive (6'5, 325) presence on the interior DL to keep our rotation strong. Would also give us flexibility when it comes time to re-sign Star Lotulelei and/or Kawann Short.

4th: Donovan Smith, OT, Penn State

16352230-mmmain.jpg

Hog mollies, anyone? This guy is massive at 6'5, 335 pounds and would be a great pick if he's still on the board in the 4th round. He would give us even more depth at tackle and more flexibility moving forward along the OL as we turn a weakness into a major strength.

5th: Mike Davis, RB, South Carolina

South_Carolina_UCF_Fo_Jone2_r600x400.jpg

With DeAngelo gone and Stewart's injury history we'll want to add a RB at some point in the draft. With our new and improved OL we can ease Davis into a backup role behind Stewart and Fozzy and hope to groom him for the future. In any event, he should be no worse than quality depth for us.

5th (COMP): Durell Eskridge, S, Syracuse

20131123_mjm_ai8_033.0.jpg

Roman Harper isn't the long-term answer to anything and while we signed Stevie Brown in this mock, he isn't either. Durell Eskridge may well be gone by this point in the draft, but good players drop every year and if we get a shot at him this late we'd be crazy not to take him. Let him sit for a year and develop and hopefully he can team with Tre Boston to form our safety tandem of the future. In the meantime, he can contribute on special teams.

6th: Martrell Spaight, OLB, Arkansas

3252865.JPG

I liked what I saw from Adarius Glanton late in the year, but he could regress and I'm not as sold on A.J. Klein at that other OLB spot.as some are. I really like Martrell Spaight; he's the one player I've mocked to us in every mock offseason I've done so far. He can be a solid special teams contributor and possibly much more down the road.

6th (COMP): Byron Jones, CB, Connecticut

6f0e10696a322090eaae10ff615d21e6-img1.jp

It never hurts to add to your CB depth late in the draft. While I like the idea of Josh Norman, Davon House, and Bene' Benwikere as the top-3 with Melvin White coming off the bench, it never hurts to add some competition.

7th: Aundrey Walker, OG, USC

Aundrey_Walker_insta-thumb-500x500-47298

More OL depth. I can't be the only one worried about the possibility of Amini Silatolu being forced into the starting lineup if Turner or Norwell go down with an injury.

---------------------------------------

PROJECTED 2015 ROSTER/DEPTH CHART:

QB: Cam Newton, Derek Anderson
RB: Jonathan Stewart, Fozzy Whittaker, Mike Davis
FB: Mike Tolbert
WR1: Kelvin Benjamin
WR2: Breshad Perriman
WR3: Ted Ginn/Philly Brown/Jerricho Cotchery
TE: Greg Olsen, Brandon Williams, Richie Brockel

LT: Cedric Ogbuehi/Doug Free
LG: Andrew Norwell, Amini Silatolu

OC: Ryan Kalil, Brian Folkerts