• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tom Brady, Cam Newton top NFL’s list of best-selling jerseys for 2015 season

FootballMaestro

Not sure if this has been posted.

But yes, Cam Newton had the #2 Jersey sales in 2015 (actually from April 1, 2015, through January 30, 2016).

I brought this up, cause I've heard several media (both pro and anti Cam) bring up that he was only 22nd in NFL Jersey sales (for those who care/whatever that was worth) without context.

So now that we know he's #2. Could they have waited, or known about the upcoming revised sales #'s, but somehow ignored them at an attempt for salaciousness? Will they even bring this up, and set the record straight? Or will they not notice, forget, and/or simply move on from this after bringing it up?

Either way, we always knew Cam was 2nd in endorsements behind Peyton and poised to pass him this year (imminent Manning retirement or not) to begin with. So this latest info only reinforces the notion on this parameter.

Maybe he [Newton] will do both quite soon (pass Brady for #1 in Jersey sales, and Peyton in endorsement $$)?

Cam Newton is hoping to come out on top in the Super Bowl, but he’ll have to be content with finishing second in the NFL’s most recent list of jersey sales. The top spot went to the man at the center of the story that dominated NFL headlines for much of 2015, Tom Brady.

Brady’s No. 12 New England Patriots jersey was No. 1 in sales at nflshop.com, the official store of the league, for the period of April 1, 2015, through January 30. Although the quarterback was in his 16th NFL season, all with New England, he likely received a jolt of support as the DeflateGate saga dragged on, and he led his team to a 10-0 start and finished one game short of the Super Bowl.

Here is the top 10 in sales at nflshop.com:

1. Tom Brady, quarterback, Patriots
  2. Cam Newton, quarterback, Panthers
  3. Odell Beckham Jr., wide receiver, Giants
  4. Rob Gronkowski, tight end, Patriots
  5. Peyton Manning, quarterback, Broncos
  6. Aaron Rodgers, quarterback, Packers
  7. Russell Wilson, quarterback, Seahawks
  8. Luke Kuechly, linebacker, Panthers
  9. Dez Bryant, wide receiver, Cowboys
  10. Jason Witten, tight end, Cowboys

Note: Greg Olsen's #3 behind Gronk and Jason Witten for Tight Ends. Didn't see any other position Panthers listed in top 10 by position.

Here's the link: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2016/02/02/tom-brady-cam-newton-top-nfls-list-of-best-selling-jerseys-for-2015-season/

8 minutes ago, Cookie Lyon said:

I remember hearing several media members say that Cam was only 22nd in jersey sales as well and I knew that wasn't true.

Funny, I heard that to (as I mentioned), but never really paid it any mind, figuring there was some sort of Anomaly, while nonetheless comforted in the fact he was #2 in endorsements to begin with. LOL

You can't win everything (shrugs). Nonetheless, it was good the record was set straight on this, after so many various media people brought it up in another direction.

2 minutes ago, Bartin said:

He was probably 22nd as of whatever date(probably offseason) but with the season he's had I'm sure there was a boom for christmas and he shot way up the list

That's probably what some of those media members were going off of, but I'm not sure why they would just focus on offseason jersey sales.

5 minutes ago, Bartin said:

He was probably 22nd as of whatever date(probably offseason) but with the season he's had I'm sure there was a boom for christmas and he shot way up the list

Funny.

The guys who reported it, never gave it any context (such as the time frame for the 22nd number, and when/if the new numbers were coming out-which were imminent).

They just said 'he's 22nd in sales. So does this man people don't like Cam Newton as he attest', yada yada. SMH/LOL

Typical hit and run "journalism", as it's done so often when it concerns Newton and the Panthers.

Anyway: If he was 22 before, and they talked about it. Well, he's #2 now, so talk about that to! LOL

21 minutes ago, Cookie Lyon said:

That's probably what some of those media members were going off of, but I'm not sure why they would just focus on offseason jersey sales.

I'm not even sure if they knew or cared.

They saw a number which fit a particular meme, and they went with it. Contextualization be damned! LOL

And what made it even worse: They would say this ("Cam Newton is 22 in Jersey sales, with such a great year; what's wrong"), without every bringing up his endorsement and marketing success during the same segment.

So they were just going for a particular angle, while not trying to paint a proper, broader picture.

6 minutes ago, FootballMaestro said:

I'm not even sure if they knew or cared.

They saw a number which feet a particular meme, and they went with it.

Contextualization be damned! LOL

And what made it even worse: They would say this ("Cam Newton is 22 in Jersey sales, with such a great year; what's wrong"), without every bringing up his endorsement and marketing success during the same segment.

So they were just going for a particular angle, while not trying to paint a proper, broader picture.

Agreed.

These media members that I heard bring up Cam's jersey sales were focusing on the "Cam being hated" angle and tried to use false information about his jersey sales as justification.

2 minutes ago, Cookie Lyon said:

Agreed.

These media members that I heard bring up Cam's jersey sales were focusing on the "Cam being hated" angle and tried to use false information about his jersey sales as justification.

How much you wanna bet, we won't hear a peep out of them/those same people with these updated numbers?

1 minute ago, FootballMaestro said:

Not sure if they did it "on purpose (though possible or likely)"? Nonetheless, they damn sure didn't care about accuracy; that's for sure. LOL

I think SOME of them did it on purpose since they didn't give out the time frame of the jersey sales.

They wanted people to think that they were updated jersey sales.

Archived