• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coaching Staff

Ship

I've noticed that we have 2 guys getting head coaching looks this offseason. Patrick Ewing has interviewed for the Memphis Grizzlies job and Stephen Silas has interviewed for the Houston Rockets job -- in the article there is also a mention that Golden State is interested in bringing Silas back as an assistant.

Ewing has to be a matter of time until he gets a head coaching job, it can happen any year -- even this one. The only thing I'll regret when he leaves is not having a true young Center for him to have developed here. Apparently that would have been Bismack, but otherwise we haven't had a young guy who can play the role Ewing did during his career. Ewing will be gone sooner rather than later though.

Silas is interesting one too, he is a very smart guy and could be a great head coach. I think he had a big impact on helping Steph Curry develop while he was in Golden State. I wonder if he would actually consider going back to Golden State in the same position he is now or if he'd stick with 'the home team'. I guess the difference is being the "top" assistant coach rather than being further down the bench. Maybe he is waiting to see if Ewing leaves and gives him the opening here.

I honestly can't say I know a ton about how assistant coaches function in the NBA-- as compared to all the position specific/offense or defense coaches in NFL-- it seems like they have specialties but they end up coaching everyone. We very well could be going into next season without two of our assistant coaches though and I wonder how that affects the team and the development of our guys.

On 5/22/2016 at 8:24 PM, HeatCheck said:

Am I the only one who doesn't think Ewing isn't HC material? I think there's a reason he's been stuck as an assistant. I'd rather have Silas as our "top" assistant.

I would rather have Silas as our associate as well I think, but Ewing definitely deserves a shot more than guys like Jason Kidd and Derek Fisher who went straight from playing to being head coaches.

Archived