• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2016 Free Agency Discussions

HeatCheck

Hornets Current Salary Situation

Under Contract (Estimates)

Walker $12 million, MKG $13 million, Hawes $6.3 million, Zeller $5.3 million, Lamb $6.5 million, Kaminsky $2.7 million, Daniels $1.2 million, Harrison $874,000, Belinelli $6.3 million

Total Committed: $56 million

Cap Holds (Estimates)

Jefferson $20 million, Batum $19.6 million, Lee $10 million, Williams $9 million, Lin $ 2.5 million, Gutierrez $980,000, Hansbrough $980,000

Total Salary + Cap Holds: $120 million

Should be interesting to see what we do with our own FAs. I foresee us being more active in the trade department than the free agency market. I also see a domino coming from the Belinelli trade.

If Batum signs elsewhere, it's going to be wide open our part. I think we're set on trying to keep our core in tact but if Batum goes, who knows what happens?

Prediction on our own FAs:  We sign Batum and Williams. I think we renounce Jefferson (no brainer), Lee, Lin, Guiterrrez, and Hansbrough. We'll definitely have to renounce to clear space for the Belinelli trade.

Any bold, baseless predictions? I've got one, we sign Malcom Delaney.

• (Above tweet concerning Durant) Woj saying that GS has the best chance to lure him away
  • Knicks recruiting Durant but he wants to win right now. Noah even trying to get him to go New York. Woj basically confirming Noah to NY.
  • Al Horford meeting with Celtics and Rockets in the morning.

So Bobby Marks is saying that Batum's salary starts at $20 million his first year, which is not that much different from his cap hold.

Although it looks like were only saving about $1 million, we won't sign Batum until we've finished with all their dealings in FA. That way his cap hold of $19 million is on the books bot $20.

6 hours ago, El Dandy said:

It pisses me off to no end that we're somehow cap strapped with a dogshit team like this, yet Cleveland has what they have. The NBA is fuging stupid.

If we renounce all the remaining cap hold we are at around 30 million in cap space. We have room.

Basically what I've been expecting. We needed to target our own FAs first but it was going to be near impossible to lure Lin away from the money + starting job.

We should renounce all of our FAs left but keep the $9 million hold of Marvin.

Walker $12 million, MKG $13 million, Hawes $6.3 million, Zeller $5.3 million, Lamb $6.5 million, Kaminsky $2.7 million, Daniels $1.2 million, Harrison $874,000, Belinelli $6.3 million= $56 million 

+ Batum's cap hold of $19 million = $75 million 

+ Marvin's cap hold of $9 million = $84 million

That's 11 players with ~$10 million to spare. This makes me think we are going to be active in trade talks. 

Still need a Center and back up PG

1 minute ago, HeatCheck said:

Walker $12 million, MKG $13 million, Hawes $6.3 million, Zeller $5.3 million, Lamb $6.5 million, Kaminsky $2.7 million, Daniels $1.2 million, Harrison $874,000, Belinelli $6.3 million= $56 million 

+ Batum's cap hold of $19 million = $75 million 

+ Marvin's cap hold of $9 million = $84 million

That's 11 players with ~$10 million to spare. This makes me think we are going to be active in trade talks. 

Still need a Center and back up PG

I would drop Marvin and let Kaminsky start at PF. Then you have money to fill Center and back up PG. Also, still be looking to trade Lamb or Hawes.

Just now, OldNorthPowell said:

I would drop Marvin and let Kaminsky start at PF. Then you have money to fill Center and back up PG.

So if we renounced Marvin, we'd sitting around $75 million with about $19 million to spend.

The question becomes would you rather:

Have Marvin + $10 million to spend on a C

Lose Marvin + $19 million to spend on a C and PG

Regardless, still think we need to make some moves in the trade market to clear space. My realistic center preference is Mahinmi. Not sure $10 million is enough for him.

5 minutes ago, HeatCheck said:

So if we renounced Marvin, we'd sitting around $75 million with about $19 million to spend.

The question becomes would you rather:

Have Marvin + $10 million to spend on a C

Lose Marvin + $19 million to spend on a C and PG

Regardless, still think we need to make some moves in the trade market to clear space. My realistic center preference is Mahinmi. Not sure $10 million is enough for him.

Well center and back up point guard should be the top priorities.

Wouldn't like the idea of signing I'm of anything over the $12.25 million we can offer with the Early Bird. By doing so, we hold on to his $9 million cap hold and have some money to spend. Once we go over that $12.25 we are dipping into cap space and aren't using his EBR.

Archived