• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Our new GM?

jramsey4

To me the writing is on the wall for Marty Hurney and John Fox. It wont be long till we are signing a new GM. Why wait lets Speculate! Here are a few options:

1. Steelers College Scouting Coordinator Ron Hughes. He started out in Detroit were he rose through the ranks from scout to Vice President of Player Personnel. But was swept away by the Matt Millen disaster hiring.

Some of his picks in Detroit

* RB Barry Sanders (1st round, 10 year starter)

* DB Ray Crockett (4th round, 11 year starter)

* QB Rodney Peete (6th round, 7 year starter)(Kinda Ironic)

* WR Herman Moore (1st round, 8 year starter)

* DE Robert Porcher (1st round, 10 year starter)

* K Jason Hanson (2nd round, 17 year starter)

* G Mike Compton (3rd round, 7 year starter)

Started with the Steelers in 2001 as a draft consultant and was promoted to the position he holds now in 2003.

In 2003 He was the one that pushed the Steelers into trading with the Chiefs so he could get Troy Polamalu and the Chiefs selected....Larry Johnson. In addition, they got 3 year starter Ike Taylor in the 4th round.

In 2004 Ben Roethlisberger was the big one. Made a solid pick in 3rd round tackle Max Starks.

2005 Heath Miller in the 1st round appears to be a solid selection. Chris Kemoeatu, a guard, was selected in the 6th round and sees action.

Bottom line: In his Tender the Steelers they have won two Rings. Drafted at least one possible two future Hall of Famers (and Sanders with the Lions which BTW IMO is the 2nd best RB in history behind Jim Brown). Intersting side note the Steelers LB coach, Keith Butler, is considered to be Lebeau's replacement at D coordinator when he retires. If we hire Cowher we can steal this guy from them to implement that 3-4 Cowher loves (and if its anything like Lebeau's I will love it too).

2. Marc Ross Giants College Scouting Coordinator (My Favorite Candidate) - He was part of the brain trust in Philly that drafted Mcnabb and got booed for taking him over one of the all time bust Ricky Williams. Was first promoted to his current position with the Eagles in 2000 and is responsible for Brian Westbrook, Lito Sheppard and Derrick Burgess. His climb and good standing with the Eagles ended, however, four years later. Modrak (the GM at the time) had butted heads with the organization and was fired, followed out the door soon after by his entire staff.

2004: Then he got rehired as a Scout for the Bills and was part of the scouting dept that scouted and drafted Marshawn Lynch, linebacker Paul Posluszny and quarterback Trent Edwards -- each of them started as rookies.

2007: He got his job with the Giants in 2007 where in his first year he was directly responsible of this list of players.

1 20 Aaron Ross - CB

2 19 Steve Smith - WR

3 18 Jay Alford - DT

4 17 Zak DeOssie - LB

5 16 Kevin Boss - TE

6 15 Adam Koets - T

7 14 Michael Johnson - S

7 40 Ahmad Bradshaw - RB

All of these players made the team and contributed from day 1 and were a very big reason they won the Super Bowl. Now Ross, Smith, Johnson, Boss, are all starters (wow 4 starters in 1 draft). Koets is there version of Hangartner (man thats a hard name to spell) and Bradshaw is a very good change of pace back.

Bottom Line: One draft like the one he orchestrated in 2007 and a franchise is set for 3 or 4 years. He is by far my favorite candidate and Richardson needs to take a long look at this guy because I think he has a really good eye for talent.

3. Ruston Webster - VP of Player Personal Seahawks - This is another intriguing scouter. From 2001-2004 he was the Bucs Director of College Scouting. During his tender there they won 1 ring (we all know of that one). He got the postion he holds now in 2005.

In 2005 the Seahawks drafted Chris Spencer C 1st , Lofa Tatupu MLB (2nd), Leroy Hill OLB(3rd), and Ray Willis T (4th) all start. They got to the Super Bowl with this draft.

In 2006 they got DE Daryl Tarp in the 2nd, a good rotational DE. And a starter at G in the 4th.

In 2007 Josh Wilson CB in the 2nd is there version of Richard Marshall. They also picked up Brandon Mebane DT in the 3rd starter since day 1. And a very versatile Olineman in Steve Vallos in the 7th that they use as depth at every Oline position (talk about value).

Bottom Line: 2005 was a franchise building draft but since then its been only a little better then our own drafting. I love some of his picks but I still like Ross more.

As the season progresses I will add a few of the guys I've got my eye on to the list. And BTW this is a trademark of me so don't you be publishing it ESPN.

if cowher is hired he may be gm/head coach not sure if he would still want that role but he seemed to like it in pitt

That's the reason I said as a side note. I just really want Keith Butler as a D coordinator. I would faint if we got Cowher, Butler, and brought in Marc Ross as the GM (he still has to go throw Cowher but he is a really good scout). Ross would still be getting a promotion, Cowher gets finally say and we have a young mans Dick Lebuea with maybe a few new wrinkles to that vaunted 3-4 defense. That is a stacked FO.

Nice research on the GM possibilities.

I'm not on the Cowher train at all, but I like what I've heard about Keith Butler. Whisenhunt fired Clancy Pendergast hoping to get him but couldn't. I expect he's lined up as Dick LeBeau's successor and thus, likely unattainable.

That's the main reason I want Cowher. I'm fairly confident he can be pried away from them if we have Cowher to recruit him (he brought him into the Steelers Org.) Don't be surprised if someone takes a flier on Butler as an HC. I wouldn't mind that actually.

That's the main reason I want Cowher. I'm fairly confident he can be pried away from them if we have Cowher to recruit him (he brought him into the Steelers Org.) Don't be surprised if someone takes a flier on Butler as an HC. I wouldn't mind that actually.

Cowher wants total control (coach and GM). That model doesn't fly with the Richardsons.

(and frankly, it pretty much never works)

I am dead set against any and all retread coaches. The majority of them are out of work for a reason. Others like Cowher have pitfalls attached.

• 2 weeks later...

I will add to the list here..

Jimmy raye director of player personnel with the San Diego Chargers

1.He is young and youth will play a big role in the next GM

2.He is from NC

He took over in 2000 so here is some of his picks

LaDainian Tomlinson

Drew Brees

Quentin Jammer

Igor Olshansky

Shaun Phillips

Michael Turner

Shane Olivea

Shawne Merriman

Vincent Jackson

Darren Sproles

Antonio Cromartie

I will add to the list here..

Jimmy raye director of player personnel with the San Diego Chargers

1.He is young and youth will play a big role in the next GM

2.He is from NC

He took over in 2000 so here is some of his picks

LaDainian Tomlinson (1st Round)

Drew Brees (1st round)

Quentin Jammer (1st)

Igor Olshansky (2nd)

Shaun Phillips (4th)

Michael Turner (5th)

Shane Olivea (7th)

Shawne Merriman (1st Round)

Vincent Jackson (2nd)

Darren Sproles (4th)

Antonio Cromartie (1st Round)

Nice. I added when they were drafted. I hadn't even thought about the Chargers. Most people forget how bad they were before Marty took over. The only concern I have here is almost every guy listed here was drafted when Marty was coaching so how much was it him and how much Marty. Because Marty has always been good at bringing in good talent even before he was at the Chargers.

Cowher wants total control (coach and GM). That model doesn't fly with the Richardsons.

(and frankly, it pretty much never works)

I am dead set against any and all retread coaches. The majority of them are out of work for a reason. Others like Cowher have pitfalls attached.

I really would rather have a good young D mind like Butler but I would not be too pissed with Cowher. But I do agree there are better candidates.

I like Reggie McKenzie as GM.

I'm also very much in favor of dropping Koncz as Pro Personnel. I really would prefer Gregory stay.

I really like Gregory as well wouldn't be surprised if we just gave him the promotion to GM.

Archived