• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Colin Cowherd: Cam lacks work ethic to become a superstar

truthjuice

8 minutes ago, The Lobo said:

I appreciate another teams fan perspective. With that said, I disagree with the sulking part. Like many on here I've been to games and watched cam play. I watch him on the sidelines and what the camera doesn't show is cam going up and down the oline giving pep talks and patting them on the back and cheering them on. He does this after his quick meeting with Dorsey (qb coach). The camera shows what it wants to show. Simply put, the narrative has been made long ago about Cam...he's the villain. Networks will show him at his worst to keep that going. They won't show him cheer on his line after a three and out. They will show him dab to drive home he's a show boat. They will show him pissed on the sidelines to show he pouts. Remember how the towel on the head was a big deal? Then people said MJ did it and it went away. 

Producers see him pissed they say show cam be pissed. He doesn't fit the narrative of a robot saying the same PC football answers in interviews and doing the same boring robot stuff. The dude is his own man and I like that. He's different and people don't like different. In today's day and age people applaud other people for being themselves. They should because being yourself is important. Cam is himself and is torn apart...doesn't make sense. The truth is, no one knows what he does in the locker room, at practice, or in the film room. most people just watch highlights or ESPN comments and make their decision about cam. 

Good post. I don't have an issue with Cam being himself at all. He's a great competitor and it clearly shows when he's winning AND losing. 

But, take press conferences for example. Cam should take some ownership as the highest paid player, franchise QB, and leader. He should man up and face the media. I would be very impressed if Cam actually faced the media that made him out to be the villian and owned everything regardless of it's his fault or not. That's what I personally like from my franchise player. I think his "loser" comments after the super bowl loss last year is a good example. That was the wrong thing to say. Is he wrong? Technically no. But that was a childish comment. 

13 minutes ago, thomas96 said:

I don't believe in the race card at all either but when comparing how people perceive Cam and Wilson it has nothing to do with maturity or professionalism. Cam was a polarizing college player coming into the draft and the media determined he'd be the next massive #1 overall pick to bust. Some dumb mistakes and immaturity in college were a part of that, yes, but the media just wanted to sell their stories and be right. They still want to be right even now, which is why they make such a big deal out of things that don't matter like the SB press conference. Wilson coming into the draft was pretty much a nobody on the national level to your average NFL fans. 3rd round pick with no high expectations came in and exceed what anybody thought would happen and the team has won consistently since he got there (mainly because of that defense of course). Those are the two types of stories that sell. The underdog Rudy type players like later round QB picks like Brady, Wilson, Prescott this year. And the other is the guy with huge expectations that just blows it and busts. Media influences the average fans who don't ever even see Cam or the Panthers and those people just join in on the nonsense. You as a Falcons fan obviously are viewing him from a Falcons fan lens, instead of one of logic, even if you have indeed watched him as extensively as you claim to.

Or it's because Wilson won a championship and Cam didn't. I get what you're saying about the underdog vs the 1st overall pick and there is definitely merit there. But I don't think Newton takes as much flack this last offseason if 2 things happen, the Panthers won the super bowl or Cam reacted differently to the media. I agree with you 100% that football is a team game and Wilson has been VERY fortunate his entire career. But like I said earlier, there's an expectation that society has put on quarterbacks in the NFL. Whether it's right or wrong. It is what it is. 

8 minutes ago, carolinajay said:

I'm not denying Peyton's greatness as I am a big Peyton fan. We were taking about maturity and how it is never brought up in regards to certain players.

and my point was if you win consistently the media opts to portray in a certain light

as soon as you don't...then they feast 

winning is why Peyton wasn't touched.  Why Brady's obvious tantrums are spun as fire.  Why Wilson despite being one of the flat out weirdest QBs is brushed over.  

If they lost? Brady would be deemed not collected. Wilson would be questioned as a locker room presence and if guys could really follow a caricature of a person, etc 

9 minutes ago, carolinajay said:

What QB doesn't make bad decisions sometimes? Matt Ryan pick 6 before Halftime against Green Bay in the playoffs, Ryan also had costly turnovers vs the 49ers in the NFC Title game.

Read my post and the examples I used. Stop deflecting with bashing on Ryan. We aren't talking about the Falcons. I said I don't like that Cam doesn't avoid hits. He doesn't throw it away, he avoids his check down target to try and make a play, he doesn't run out of bounds, and he doesn't slide. He puts his health at risk. 

3 minutes ago, CRA said:

and my point was if you win consistently the media opts to portray in a certain light

winning is way Peyton wasn't touched 

Andrew Luck will be praised whether he wins or lose. 

The media did give Peyton a hard time for his playoff record but he was still highly regarded otherwise for his greatness in the regular season.

4 minutes ago, CRA said:

winning is way Peyton wasn't touched 

You're right. Winning is the ultimate cure. Maybe I've been too tough on Newton before I opened this thread and starting talking with you guys. 

1 minute ago, carolinajay said:

The media did give Peyton a hard time for his playoff record but he was still highly regarded otherwise for his greatness in the regular season.

Peyton was just nitpicked over what type great he would be. He was practically made an untouchable by the media.  

As far as Luck goes...if you really pay attention the mumbles are starting.  If you don't win the media will come for you eventually. 

4 minutes ago, carolinajay said:

Andrew Luck has cooled off in terms of praise. It seems like the permanent way to avoid criticism is to win a super bowl. Look at guys like Eli and Flacco. Both of those guys have been actually pretty bad in big chunks of their careers but they tend to avoid criticism. 

7 minutes ago, Jd dirtybird21 said:

Read my post and the examples I used. Stop deflecting with bashing on Ryan. We aren't talking about the Falcons. I said I don't like that Cam doesn't avoid hits. He doesn't throw it away, he avoids his check down target to try and make a play, he doesn't run out of bounds, and he doesn't slide. He puts his health at risk. 

I did use your post and I pointed out that all QB make bad decisions even the great Matt Ryan. I don't like the way Matt Ryan folds like a soft shelled taco in the playoffs (Green Bay, New York Giants, SF) He had home field advantage throughout the playoffs two of those years.

4 minutes ago, Jd dirtybird21 said:

Andrew Luck has cooled off in terms of praise. It seems like the permanent way to avoid criticism is to win a super bowl. Look at guys like Eli and Flacco. Both of those guys have been actually pretty bad in big chunks of their careers but they tend to avoid criticism. 

Cowherd praises him still.

Archived