• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ryan Kalil Question

Reebis21

I’m having a debate with a friend and need somebody to help clarify something. I admit I could easily be wrong here. He keeps saying we should restructure Ryan Kalil like we did with Gross before he retired, which would lower Kalil’s cap hit this year. But I didn’t think that’s the same situation as to what we did with Gross. 

1) With Kalil being in his last year before retirement, I didn’t think we could push money to an additional year unless he agreed to it. But why would he agree to the same amount of money over a 2 or 3 year period vs taking it all now?

2) Let’s say Marty offered to pay him $2 mill more total if he agreed to spread out the payments over 2 years. That incentivizes him to accept the restructure. However if he retires after this year, does that count as dead money next year and Kalil still receive the money? I read an article that Gross was pissed when DG restructured him. Why would he be pissed if he got more guaranteed money? Or did he not get more money?

3) If what I said in question 2 is possible, I would expect far more GMs who are trying to do one last hail marry to save their job, try this out and go for a SB now and sacrifice the future.

Again, obviously I’m ignorant to how this all works. But I’d love to have anybody willing to explain it.

Archived