• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Drafttek Mock Draft (April 17th)

kungfoodude

9 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

I’m gonna stop right around Gary. Those guys right there around are the first round targets. The rest I’m not taking at 16.  Ferrell I have watched More of than I care to watch and he doesn’t do much for me. Your predicting Pro Bowl and all that but that rarely happens with players with his limited skill set. He’s not overly strong, or fast he’s just a solid player. 

Statistically he’s put up better numbers than all of those guys.. why would we even have a shot a someone who is as gifted and putting up the production he has?  The answer is he has limited ability. His hands can be as violent as they want but he isn’t bull rushing NFL left tackles or running around them. So what does he resort to when their technique matches his? 

As the man above said he’s a fine rotation complimentary rusher. If u need a double digit sack a year guy your better of testing one of the other guys. The fact that we pick this low and have a shot at a double digit sack talent speaks to the talent of this class.

We will see when we get to 16. Everyone knows I prefer Taylor, Jonah or Ford unless Sweat somehow drops there and is in the mix. I pretty much only like Allen Sweat and Wilkins in the mix with Taylor and Jonah. Ferrell and Ford being there at 16 I would have to go with Ferrell because we need a DE. Ford and I would be happy too.

hurney picks great first round picks— so if it’s Ferrell or Burns or anyone I trust they will be a great player for us until 3 years down the line they prove wrong.

28 minutes ago, JARROD said:

watch both. 

Burns will or could be good at some point but he relies on his speed and has zero power, actually looks fragile.

now watch Jalen Jelks, similar size etc— just as quick as Burns yet much more power and shows a lot of different techniques. 

For me, the first round guy can make a major impact today— that’s Ferrell over Burns. If you want a project that has a lot less boom or bust than Burns, take a Jelks in the 4th or 5th and you have your “Burns”

watch the tape and call me crazy

You do know this is not “film” right. It’s a highlight reel, showcasing a player at their best splash plays, you don’t see the good plays be just holding up at the point of attack or setting the edge, of the bad players where these guys get stone walled.  If you have formed an opinion just off these then you would get the wrong idea and would come to the conclusion Ferrell is better than all the other guys because he has more production. 

You would see more splash player because of that. Add in the fact he played with 2 other first rounders and a 3rd rounder and I’m not sure how good this guys is seeing as he probably saw less double teams than anyone we already mentioned. I think drafting Ferrell is risky just because he does have limited ability and we don’t know how much of his production was tied to the guys around him, the testing that could have shed some light on this he”was injured or skipped out on”

30 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

You do know this is not “film” right. It’s a highlight reel, showcasing a player at their best splash plays, you don’t see the good plays be just holding up at the point of attack or setting the edge, of the bad players where these guys get stone walled.  If you have formed an opinion just off these then you would get the wrong idea and would come to the conclusion Ferrell is better than all the other guys because he has more production. 

You would see more splash player because of that. Add in the fact he played with 2 other first rounders and a 3rd rounder and I’m not sure how good this guys is seeing as he probably saw less double teams than anyone we already mentioned. I think drafting Ferrell is risky just because he does have limited ability and we don’t know how much of his production was tied to the guys around him, the testing that could have shed some light on this he”was injured or skipped out on”

Well the reverse is someone like Amini that was overwhelmingly better than everyone around him and look how that turned out?

ferrell is the least risky actually besides Ford. 

32 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

You DO know that you can play entire games where it’s just the plays that player is in and watch.... right? 

Thats how I brought up seeing things like Burns being stopped with one arm repeatedly, often thrown down,.. he does great if he has a little space, is really fast, but only has one move I saw repeatedly, like Everette Brown did— and as soon as anyone engages with him, he’s out of the play.

Ferrell makes plays all the time, in many different ways. He also looks like he plays much faster than what people say— has a great reaction to the snap, always is in the right place— 

Ive spent time watching Sweat and I have the same question marks as Burns except Sweat does show some ability to get off blocks, so he’s not always out of a play he’s touched in.

Gary just looks lazy,.. about one out of 5 plays he shows up and does something amazing or decent— otherwise it looks like he has minimal effort or might just be clueless.

Jonah looks like a guy that keeps working strategy and adjustments against his guy, gets beat but then changes technique and angles so he’s a football smart professional.

Ford is a Jeff Otah mixed with a little Ryan Clady— mauler but has better feet than Otah had.

so yeh,.. I watch a lot, not just highlights.

anyway, time will tell.

On 4/19/2019 at 11:39 AM, JARROD said:

You DO know that you can play entire games where it’s just the plays that player is in and watch.... right? 

Thats how I brought up seeing things like Burns being stopped with one arm repeatedly, often thrown down,.. he does great if he has a little space, is really fast, but only has one move I saw repeatedly, like Everette Brown did— and as soon as anyone engages with him, he’s out of the play.

Ferrell makes plays all the time, in many different ways. He also looks like he plays much faster than what people say— has a great reaction to the snap, always is in the right place— 

Ive spent time watching Sweat and I have the same question marks as Burns except Sweat does show some ability to get off blocks, so he’s not always out of a play he’s touched in.

Gary just looks lazy,.. about one out of 5 plays he shows up and does something amazing or decent— otherwise it looks like he has minimal effort or might just be clueless.

Jonah looks like a guy that keeps working strategy and adjustments against his guy, gets beat but then changes technique and angles so he’s a football smart professional.

Ford is a Jeff Otah mixed with a little Ryan Clady— mauler but has better feet than Otah had.

so yeh,.. I watch a lot, not just highlights.

anyway, time will tell.

All good points. The question i always ask is how does the guy make plays. Is he simply further along in terms of physical ability than those he plays against? Has he had damn good coaching (many at the power 5 dont)? Is he a athletic freak? Is he just a player that somehow gets it done?

Its that last one thats the hardest to quantify. Ferrell is a known locker room leader and hard worker. Despite his athletic limitations (they arent that egregious) if he is a lunch pail guy then whos to say he wont keep learning the finer points and out smart OL?

I love that he comes to work everyday, so few have that work ethic, that alone will carry him a long way. 

Archived