• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Smitty and returning punts.

weyco2000

remember back in '05 in the playoffs against the seahawks when steve got fed up with jake not being able to give him the ball, so he was all "bitch, I'ma return punts again" and he did it and he scored a touchdown on a punt return?

that was cool.

we definitely got a break on that one. There was a blatant block in the back, but b/c we were getting our asses handed to us the refs felt bad and picked up the flag.

My thoughts exactly. Just before Moore botched the return, I was thinking about that 05' playoff game and how they should think about putting Smith back there.

Now that I think about it, that game had a lot riding on it. Getting to .500, keeping the momentum that they had built from the past 2 wins. why not at least try?

I wouldn't expect him to run it back, but if he had a shot, take it, if not, get what you can and get out of bounds. And hell, even if all he could do was fair catch the damn thing, it's better than what ended up happening.

K Moore did not lose the game for them,Jake did!they had many opportunities to win that game way before the botched punt return!

Who is the highest paid S then? He was the highest paid the previous seasons at his position in Balt....so if he was jumped it was just this year.

He isn't the only example...he is just the best. I don't have 09 to look at to rank all salaries but I can look at every other year....there are plenty example each season fo coaches going to those guys in situational roles.

I think I told you this morning while I was in the whirlpool, back it up with some stats, cause everyone I looked at with household names, and a lot of talent were not under deals not close to some of their lineman. I'll give you Ed Reed, but the numbers I found, he isn't the highest. But the deal was, I'd believe you when u got me some numbers. I bet only a few, who are key position players on their teams, are doing it. If the Panthers do it with Steve Smith, they are dumber than they already look!

I think I told you this morning while I was in the whirlpool, back it up with some stats, cause everyone I looked at with household names, and a lot of talent were not under deals not close to some of their lineman. I'll give you Ed Reed, but the numbers I found, he isn't the highest. But the deal was, I'd believe you when u got me some numbers. I bet only a few, who are key position players on their teams, are doing it. If the Panthers do it with Steve Smith, they are dumber than they already look!

like I said, tell me who the highest is then? Reed was the highest paid S in Balt the prior seasons and was used in the return game. Also, being the highest paid really doesn't matter....Ed Reed is not replaceable and is argued to be the best overall defensive player in the league. That is what is important. I backed it up w/ stats. He was the highest paid S and is not replaceable. I don't have 09's numbers but you claim to have them...yet you can't name him.

Also, look at the Redskin WRs. Both the #1 and #2 WRs are used in the return game. Who is the highest paid WR in Minny?

I can understand you thinking using Smith is dumb b/c he might get hurt. I can understand that viewpoint. However, you are 100% when claim teams don't use top tier talent in the return game for sparks. They do it and the facts back that up. The youth and lack of confidence in the return game is glaring.......and watching those guys all game long having trouble even known when to fair catch foreshadowed something bad happening. At most I think Smitty should be brought out maybe 3-5 times in a year...and only in select scenarios.

Obviously, Carolina has done it also with Smith....I just think they should do it a little more and last week provided one of those rare moments I thought he should have been called upon. Smitty has returned a kick every season. I think they will call upon him again.....I think they will have to.

What difference does it make how much your contract is worth? Can he return punts? Yes! Is he one of the best return guys in the NFL? Yes! Having a huge contract should give him more incentive, our highest paid players are the first to bitch and moan! A true leader, leads by example.

You do not put probowl wide receivers at kickoff and punt return duties, how dumb are you people? Watching football for how many minutes?

you do when your pro bowl WR isn't getting the ball in the passing game and when your return game is weak.

Carolina does it and other teams do it. It is just a fact. I just think they should do it a tad more....but Carolina already does what I am suggesting.

you do when your pro bowl WR isn't getting the ball in the passing game and when your return game is weak.

Carolina does it and other teams do it. It is just a fact. I just think they should do it a tad more....but Carolina already does what I am suggesting.

We have pro bowlers returning kicks? I didn't know Mike,Jonathon, Captain and Kenny made the pro bowl. Thats amazing, Captain and Mike have only been here a few months!

We have pro bowlers returning kicks? I didn't know Mike,Jonathon, Captain and Kenny made the pro bowl. Thats amazing, Captain and Mike have only been here a few months!

Um, Smith has been used in the return game every season he has been a Panther. Like I said, Carolina does it with Smith...they should just do it a tad more.

Um, Smith has been used in the return game every season he has been a Panther. Like I said, Carolina does it with Smith...they should just do it a tad more.

He last returned a kick in 2006, if you going to talk, talk out your mouth, not your other hole!

My question is this. Why was Moore returning the last punt when Munnerlyn had been back there for the first 5 punts.

I believe he was shaken up on the sideline. Something shook him up on the previous defensive stand, if my memory serves.

But yeah, if Smith wants to return punts, I don't see why we don't let him. He's not getting any touches on the offense, and if he really wants to be an "asset", then why not? Barring some Disney movie comeback kid miracle, the season is lost anyways.

He last returned a kick in 2006, if you going to talk, talk out your mouth, not your other hole!

Last year (2008), he was used in the return game against the Saints.

2007, he was used in back to back game against the Saints and Cardinals.

Carolina has gone to Smith every season he has been a Panther.....you don't know what you are talking about.

Archived