• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Can we please start Kyle Allen this week so we have a shot at beating the saints!

FeelTheBurns53

7 minutes ago, Kuechly&Moore said:

I don't think we could beat the Dolphins or Bengals right now

Probably not. That's the life of a Panthers fan.

Remember we still don't even have back to back winning seasons.

FYI the Atlanta Falcons didn't claim back to back winning seasons until 2009, and they started playing in 1966.

It can still get worse from here sadly. Remember that if you find yourself arguing over the likes of quarterbacks like Kyle Allen or Will Grier.

5 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

It’s got to be impossible to blame any QB on an interception stemming from his WR getting the ball stolen out of his hands. I think if you solely watch the box score, sure, he threw three — but blaming him for all three is unwise and speaks to some level of bias.

Not all of Allen’s turnovers were his fault either — but by week 15, he was hitting corners and safeties in stride. Grier had only one turnover until garbage time when he decided to take some chances. 

In the midst of this Grier vs Allen debate, looking at Allen’s first-half stats in recent games, they’re worse than Grier’s was last week, sans Moore. He hasn’t really moved the ball much other than handing to McCaffrey, until we’re down 3 scores and he hits his check downs and runs one in to soothe Snake’s ego.

As an aside, neither guy will be our backup next season.  But I actually thought Grier was better in tougher throws (fourth down strike to Samuel was more accurate than anything Allen has thrown since October) but Allen is better in over-the-middle passes. Allen CAN throw better but he makes worse decisions and is a statue in the pocket. No way does his mobility approach Grier’s. 

I don't give Allen a pass for the turnovers that bounced off of his WR's hands OR for the underthrown balls he tossed up that got intercepted, so why should I for Grier?  There are always mitigating factors.  Both were under tremendous pressure virtually every moment they had the ball because our OL sucks.  I have no preference to either player, and I hope both miraculously improve and end up being huge helps to the team.  But it is pretty silly to excuse Grier's interceptions so much, when people never did the same for Allens, particularly when both of them had huge problems with interceptions being caused by underthrows on deep b alls.

As to Allen in the first half, that isn't true at all.  Allen has thrown touchdowns in the first half of 3 of his last 4 games, and multiple TDs in the first half in 2 of those 4, and in all 4 the Allen-led offense put up more points in the first half than the Girer-led offense did all game vs the Colts.  Doesn't mean Allen played well, but he played better than Grier.  And yes, Allen put up some nice numbers against prevent defenses... but then, the wheels on Grier's bus certainly completely fell off in a similar situation, and that's quite the difference, isn't it?

And as to Grier throwing tougher throws, I disagree.  It is all opinion, of course.  The short throw to Samuel on 4th and 3 was a nice throw, but it was still a short throw.  I personally think Allen had a couple of throws to DJ vs Seattle and NO that were very, very nice.  But he didn't do much vs the Redskins and struggled vs Atlanta.

Anyway, I think we all agree neither seem to be the answer.  I think both will be with the team in camp, and I expect one to make it on to the roster, unless Cam comes back AND we draft a young QB.

10 minutes ago, TheRed said:

It can still get worse from here sadly. Remember that if you find yourself arguing over the likes of quarterbacks like Kyle Allen or Will Grier.

uhh, this thread is about starting one of them this week.  I don't even think Snake wants us to play Kyle Allen next year and the other rabid Allen dude just posts an animated gif of Tua all the time.  We're arguing about Allen or Grier to pass the time, not because either are likely to be here for the long term.

5 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

uhh, this thread is about starting one of them this week.  I don't even think Snake wants us to play Kyle Allen next year and the other rabid Allen dude just posts an animated gif of Tua all the time.  We're arguing about Allen or Grier to pass the time, not because either are likely to be here for the long term.

Oh there are absolutely a number of posters still carrying water for Allen. I don't know if they want him to be the starter next year, but he has his own little group around here. Snake wanted us to sign Allen to a lucrative extension back in October. I think he's a bit of a loon.

1 minute ago, TheRed said:

Oh there are absolutely a number of posters still carrying water for Allen. I don't know if they want him to be the starter next year, but he has his own little group around here. Snake wanted us to sign Allen to a lucrative extension back in October. I think he's a bit of a loon.

sure, probably... I don't know who they are, tho.  the most insane/vocal allen dudes have all moved on to other not-Cam QBs, predictably...

the rest of us are just resigned to finishing out the regular season arguing about which of our inadequate, young backups is the least inadequate :(

Archived