• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Making the NBA the best sport

Shocker

Thought I would add this as a discussion to get a feeling on this...

If I was commissioner...

Shorten the season to eliminate back to backs

Scrap the lottery...worst teams get first picks

Make the playoffs a tournament...one and done.

Seriously think this would make the league so much more interesting

Thoughts?

On 2/19/2020 at 7:45 PM, Shocker said:

Thought I would add this as a discussion to get a feeling on this...

If I was commissioner... - 1st RULE- you are doing the will of the owners (aka to make them the most money)

Shorten the season to eliminate back to backs - contradicts 1st rule ^^ but I'd be down for playing with schedule to limit B2Bs

Scrap the lottery...worst teams get first picks - yeah, this one pisses us ALL off.. the Iowa primary fiasco reminded me of the NBA lottery.. simplify it all.. "well then teams will tank!!".. no poo, they already do..

Make the playoffs a tournament...one and done. - naw, and this definitely contradicts the 1st rule of commish

Seriously think this would make the league so much more interesting

Thoughts?

1- Get rid of conferences in playoffs = pick the 16 best teams.. with air travel as good as it is nowadays on private jets etc. it's not like it was back in the 80s and 90s where west coast/east coast trips were crazy..

2- Not sure of the solution, but the way the monitors are used for replay in NBA games is just the worst. the stoppage of play now at the end of close games sucks all the life out of the arena and on TV.. have, in essence, a "shot clock" for the refs.. you get 24 secs to review the replays angles available and if you don't have the definitive call - the ruling on the court stands..

3- Gotta get more parity.. it improved a lot this offseason with the split up of the Warriors - but seriously there are only 3-5 teams still fighting for the NBA title (LAL, LAC, HOU, MIL, BOS).. why do the bad teams stay the bad teams and the good teams always stay the good teams?? probably goes back to the 1st RULE, huh?

1 hour ago, bLACKpANTHER said:

1- Get rid of conferences in playoffs = pick the 16 best teams.. with air travel as good as it is nowadays on private jets etc. it's not like it was back in the 80s and 90s where west coast/east coast trips were crazy..

2- Not sure of the solution, but the way the monitors are used for replay in NBA games is just the worst. the stoppage of play now at the end of close games sucks all the life out of the arena and on TV.. have, in essence, a "shot clock" for the refs.. you get 24 secs to review the replays angles available and if you don't have the definitive call - the ruling on the court stands..

3- Gotta get more parity.. it improved a lot this offseason with the split up of the Warriors - but seriously there are only 3-5 teams still fighting for the NBA title (LAL, LAC, HOU, MIL, BOS).. why do the bad teams stay the bad teams and the good teams always stay the good teams?? probably goes back to the 1st RULE, huh?

Pretty good ideas as well...not sure pumping up the enthusiasm across the league wouldn’t provide rule 1 but who knows.  I love the tournament idea but guess no one here does.  That would be must see for me.

42 minutes ago, Shocker said:

Pretty good ideas as well...not sure pumping up the enthusiasm across the league wouldn’t provide rule 1 but who knows.  I love the tournament idea but guess no one here does.  That would be must see for me.

As far a tournaments go - I say all the teams that don't make playoffs should be thrown into a single game elimination tournament. The winner of said tournament gets awarded a pick in the Top 3.

Image result for bingo ball cage

A big bingo ball scrambler is turned immediately after the Final tournament game and the MVP of the winning team gets to reach in with the sweat still dripping from his hands and grab a ball numbered #1 (5 balls in spinner), #2 (15 balls in spinner) or #3 (30 balls in spinner) and is awarded whatever pick he draws.. Do you know how many eyeballs and $$ that would generate!? I'm hype just thinking about it!!

So if Hornets finished last - just outside the playoffs (#14 in the current lottery pecking order) but WIN the tournament and Rozier gets MVP and reaches in and grabs #2, Then we move up from #14 to #2 and the rest of teams slide back a pick. Simple.

Archived