• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers trade QB Kyle Allen !!

TheSpecialJuan

9 minutes ago, GOOGLE JIM BOB COOTER said:

i can’t think of another player as bad as kyle allen who was the beneficiary of so many excuses and even praise lol. one of the worst quarterbacks i have ever seen.

Entertaining morning read...

11 hours ago, Sgt Schultz said:

This year, at least based on the roster and Cam's expected situation right now, if our starter for most of the year is not named Bridgewater, we are dead.  The difference is the expectations this year are almost nonexistent. 

I would normally agree with this but I am actually pretty high on the Walker kid. He seems to have some of that Russell Wilson/Donovan McNabb ability to make something out of nothing. Not sure it will translate to the NFL, but if it does, I could easily see him doing much better on our team than Bridgewater can. Bridgewater has to have a LOT of things go right for him to be effective(as evidenced by his time in Minnesota). 

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

I would normally agree with this but I am actually pretty high on the Walker kid. He seems to have some of that Russell Wilson/Donovan McNabb ability to make something out of nothing. Not sure it will translate to the NFL, but if it does, I could easily see him doing much better on our team than Bridgewater can. Bridgewater has to have a LOT of things go right for him to be effective(as evidenced by his time in Minnesota). 

I'll gladly yield to you on Walker, because I have not seen him.  I've read the comparisons to Wilson and McNabb, and they are intriguing.  Considering his immediate competition is Grier, that bodes well for him.

I admittedly do not rely much on Bridgewater's time in Minnesota.  They were built to run the ball and play defense.  He just had to create some spark on offense.  They were what they were by design, not necessarily by his limits.  I don't think we have really seen what he can and can't do yet.  That may sound optimistic, but it is really just acknowledging an unknown on my part. 

One of many unknowns I have, and not just on football.

14 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

I'll gladly yield to you on Walker, because I have not seen him.  I've read the comparisons to Wilson and McNabb, and they are intriguing.  Considering his immediate competition is Grier, that bodes well for him.

I admittedly do not rely much on Bridgewater's time in Minnesota.  They were built to run the ball and play defense.  He just had to create some spark on offense.  They were what they were by design, not necessarily by his limits.  I don't think we have really seen what he can and can't do yet.  That may sound optimistic, but it is really just acknowledging an unknown on my part. 

One of many unknowns I have, and not just on football.

Go check some XFL highlights out and watch how much McNabb there is in his game. I don't see the kind of arm that McNabb had but his improvisation and play extension ability sticks out. That will help a team like ours that is not likely to be able to pass block well as a unit. 

Bridgewater is a wildcard. He looked like a solid game manager in New Orleans and he looked like a somewhat limited but promising rookie in Minnesota. He has only ever started 16 games once and has never thrown for more than 14 TD's. 

3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Go check some XFL highlights out and watch how much McNabb there is in his game. I don't see the kind of arm that McNabb had but his improvisation and play extension ability sticks out. That will help a team like our that is not likely to be able to pass block well as a unit. 

Bridgewater is a wildcard. He looked like a solid game manager in New Orleans and he looked like a somewhat limited but promising rookie in Minnesota. He has only ever started 16 games once and has never thrown for more than 14 TD's. 

Game manager. He threw for 9 tds and 2 ints in 5 games. I like that y'all keep hating on the kid.

4 minutes ago, steven8989 said:

Game manager. He threw for 9 tds and 2 ints in 5 games. I like that y'all keep hating on the kid.

I don't understand why people assume that is hatred. Alex Smith is a game managing QB and has been very successful. I think you are just looking for a reason to be offended. 

Teddy is a relatively low ceiling but a high floor. It doesn't mean that we can't win with him but we will need to build a very strong roster around him, which is unlikely to happen during his time in Carolina. I don't see that as a possibility in the next 2-3 seasons. 

As for his success on the Saints, he had that success with arguably the most talented roster in the NFL. He is going to be working with the least talented roster that he has ever played with, by a very wide margin. 

3 minutes ago, steven8989 said:

I think it is more skepticism than hating.  We have seen some hating of him on this board.  We have people posting things that would lead one to believe he is #33 of 32 starting QBs.  Then again, many of those same people insisted Cam was going to return to 2015 form, which was never my expectation in wanting him back for 2020.

I think what he was being asked to do in New Orleans was also restrained, again, not based on his cans and cant's.  Whenever you have to start your backup, the natural thing is to clamp down on the playbook and ratchet up the defense.  If nothing else, the timing on offense is likely to be less crisp.  Those things usually get relaxed the longer the backup is starting, sometimes to the detriment of the QB (see Kyle Allen).

My take on TB is that he did what was asked of him in both Minnesota and NO.  Does that mean we saw the limit of his upside?  Not at all.  Does that mean his upside is well beyond what we saw?  Not necessarily, it is an unknown that we hopefully are impressed with.

7 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

I think it is more skepticism than hating.  We have seen some hating of him on this board.  We have people posting things that would lead one to believe he is #33 of 32 starting QBs.  Then again, many of those same people insisted Cam was going to return to 2015 form, which was never my expectation in wanting him back for 2020.

I think what he was being asked to do in New Orleans was also restrained, again, not based on his cans and cant's.  Whenever you have to start your backup, the natural thing is to clamp down on the playbook and ratchet up the defense.  If nothing else, the timing on offense is likely to be less crisp.  Those things usually get relaxed the longer the backup is starting, sometimes to the detriment of the QB (see Kyle Allen).

My take on TB is that he did what was asked of him in both Minnesota and NO.  Does that mean we saw the limit of his upside?  Not at all.  Does that mean his upside is well beyond what we saw?  Not necessarily, it is an unknown that we hopefully are impressed with.

That's the thing, he has never really been asked to do much in his NFL career so there should obviously be some skepticism. I imagine the biggest reason we ended up with him was that Brady has been around him so he had an up close view and was less skeptical. For the rest of us, we should very much be skeptical because he really hasn't shown very much to indicate he is more than an average NFL starter in his career so far. 

Perhaps he blows up here for 30+ TD's and 4000+ yards and ultimately puts to rest all those doubts, perhaps he tracks pretty similarly to the rest of his short NFL career(less than 20 TD's, less than 3500 yards passing) or perhaps he is ultimately beaten out by PJ Walker and ends up having to answer those questions for another franchise(ala Nick Foles). We will know next season.

Archived