• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Davidson or Trgo... you must fire one.

Zod

Candidate A: Controller of one of the most prolific offenses in Panthers history, stocked with first round talent, that has stayed pretty healthy. Has scored <17 points only twice this season, and has only been here 2 seasons.

Candidate B: Controller of what has been an increasing embarrassing disaster of a defense that can seem to stop neither the run, nor the pass, while stocked with first round talent and good leadership. The past few weeks have been some of the biggest defensive stinkers in the history of the Carolina panthers. Injuries have hit, unfortunately, where they are the thinnest: DT, but even when healthy in the games before last week, we got gashed. Regardless, each week has seen a defense that has devolved away from the instinctive, attack and swarm the ball type defense that carried us in the beginning of the season, to what we have now. With the exception of the Denver game, the opposition's offense has done whatever they damn well pleased, and the offense has to bail em out. The ferocity is just gone and even worse, often look lost. I rarely see anyone swarming to the ball anymore, and Fox is supposed to preach "finishing games". Well guys, time to finish the season. Unless the injury report is understated, the downturn has to come from somewhere.

Remember those threads earlier this year where some people were actually trying to say that we had an elite defense? And of course when anyone tried to talk some sense into these people, they weren't "real" fans. LOL. Where are those punks now?

You don't honestly think anyone's going to answer Davidson, do you?

As big a detractor of Trgovac as I am, kurb has a valid point.

My favorite offseason "never gonna happen" notion is that Herm Edwards gets let go from the Chiefs and his old friend John Fox asks him to come on board and run the Panther defense, or at least be a "consultant' who ends up running the defense eventually. Herm may not be a great head coach, but he's got a record as a solid (and aggressive) defensive coordinator. That, plus his aggressiveness would help balance Fox's cautiousness.

(no, it won't happen, but I can dream)

Way more likely that if Trgovac is replaced, it's Tim Lewis who gets the call.

Even more likely that nothing happens to Trgivac at all.

Tim Lewis used to be a great DC. He had a terrible time with the New York Giants, but I don't think he's forgotten how to do his job. I'd much rather have Lewis than Trgo. It wouldn't be a dream exchange, but it would probably be an improvement. Somebody just needs to remind him that soft zone doesn't work ever.

But everyone and their little sister knows and have known that the DTs are the thinnest and weakest link on that defense. Lewis shouldn't be starting, he's a great sub a la Burton was in the day. Kemo does his thing well but they need depth. Badly. And it showed.

So I guess Turdo has yet another excuse to keep his job then. The previous 2 was on injuries.

Remember those threads earlier this year where some people were actually trying to say that we had an elite defense? And of course when anyone tried to talk some sense into these people, they weren't "real" fans. LOL. Where are those punks now?

Statistically, we did have a very good defense in the beginning of the season before the bye week. Whether this was from strength of schedule, who knows. All I know is that I have had to refill my hemorrhoid medication and buy a new bottle of pepto for the last 6 Sundays, and it's getting expensive.

First question:

It seems the D was playing pretty well early in the season. People seemed excited about it. The word was that the coaches had simplified the D...because of younger players. The players said they liked it...they could just react...did not have to think too much.

The 1st game after the bye week, Oakland......a poor D performance....Fox mentioned that they were putting in some new schemes for the D.

My question is.....did they try to fix something that was not broken? Much of the D...especially the secondary, looks lost out there lately.

2nd question:

How can the Giants run the same play over and over....and the Panther D never make an adjustment to stop it?

Never said he was blameless. But without a runstuffer in the middle, the entire defensive philosophy changed. People were put in positions they weren't used to, doing things that they aren't equipped to do. Run blitzing to make up for that line presence, which in turn left huge holes in the zone. Secondary playing off to keep everything in front of them because they knew the LBs were selling out against the run. One thing leads to another. It's a domino effect. It's a sad truth that some people are more valuable than others...and we saw it last night. I've never been a Trgo fan, and I would be in the front of the line to help him pack his bags. But last night, especially after Lewis, who is mediocre at best at the run, goes out, the defense was put in a very precarious situation. There is no room for error at all on that side of the ball until we can grow some depth.

Archived