• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Trading back multiple times - Theory

CanadianCat

13 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I am not expressing my views here-but the argument for trading back is compelling.

• 1. It takes OL a year or so to get their footing.  Not many rookies are dominant.
  • 2. We have holes at OT, OG x 2, OC, TE, CB, S, MLB, and possibly FB, DE, WR, and DT.  And that is not even looking carefully at expiring contracts. Trading UP for the third or fourth best QB in the draft could be stupid, if you are sacrificing quality players to fill other needs.
  • 3. If you want to increase the chances of a young QB coming in and doing well, build the OL, give him weapons (RB, WR, TE)  and give him a solid defense.
  • Bridgewater is still under contract for 2021 at least.  So we have an experienced QB (I know, you hate him, but with a better D, TE, and an ungraded OL....) 

After a 5 win season, we are all frothing at the mouth for a QB, but if our guy does not fall to us, I am not sure moving up is the best long term solution compared to trading back and filling holes. 

Just a theory--and one that should be considered, since there are literally hundreds of options.

Saying that trading up for the 3rd or 4th best QB is stupid isn't really true. In some of the drafts over the past 20 years, even the third QB off the board was a franchise guy. Supposedly this is a very strong QB draft. We just need to worry about our evaluations. If we think there is a guy(or more than one), either go get them or see if they are available at 8.

We can actually jettison Teddy in 2021. The contract was structured to make it a 1-2 year deal with marginal cap impact after the first season. 

I will stay on message with this is trade up/trade down scenario.....it's all about the evaluations. We have a couple of months before we have an idea about who we are really targeting.

2 hours ago, MHS831 said:

After a 5 win season, we are all frothing at the mouth for a QB, but if our guy does not fall to us, I am not sure moving up is the best long term solution compared to trading back and filling holes. 

I agree 100% Teddy is not the long term option but I think its clear that its either this year or next we go for one. If we dont think our guy is there at 8 then taking Teddy into next year is not a bad option. 

That being said, if we dont draft a QB I would like to see us bring in more guys to and have a open competition. 

Archived