• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2022 Charlotte FC Preseason

This team is in rough shape right now. Without wingers it looks like MAR might switch to a 4-4-2, with that said I’ve updated the roster:

GK - Kristijan Kahlina (XI), George Marks (SUB), Pablo Sisniega (SUB), Adrian Zendejas (SUB)

LB - Joseph Mora (XI), Adam Armour (SUB)

LCB - Jan Sobocinski (XI), Christian Makoun (SUB), Christian Fuchs (SUB)

RCB - Anton Walkes (XI), Guzman Corujo (SUB)

RB - Jaylen Lindsey (XI), Harrison Afful (SUB)

CDM - Jordy Alcivar (XI), Brandt Bronico (SUB)

CM - Sergio Ruiz (XI)

CM - Chris Hegardt (XI), Ben Bender (SUB)

CAM - Christian Ortiz (XI), Alan Franco (SUB)

LF - Karol Swiderski (XI), McKinze Gaines (SUB)

RF - Yordy Reyna (XI), Vinicius Mello (SUB), Kyle Holcomb (SUB)

Notes:

- I still have Marks backing up Kahlina but Marks very well could be the starter.

- Mora is likely the starter at LB out of necessity, this position needs to be upgraded.

- I think Sobocinski starts at LCB with Makoun backing him up, Fuchs also provides depth at LCB and LB.

- I like Walkes starting at RCB with Corujo backing him up.

- At RB, Lindsey seems to be performing better than Afful. The pace of play might start to become a problem for Afful.

- At CDM, Alcivar looks to be the starter, Bronico can provide depth and Hegardt can also play CDM when he isn’t starting.

- Ruiz and Hegardt look to be the starters in the midfield with Bender providing depth.

- Ortiz is the probable starter at CAM with Franco seeing time there as well as CM.

- Swiderski and Gaines are at LF.

- Reyna and Mello are at RF, I’ve also momentarily left Holcomb on the roster until it’s confirmed that he isn’t receiving a contract.

- I haven’t included Gabriel Obertan and Laukoa Santos as they are on trial.

So I watched a little bit of the replay on YouTube… noticed a few things.

- MAR definitely wants to play out of the back and unfortunately most of our defenders are not comfortable doing that.

- Our midfield pushes up way top high for a team that’s looking to play out of the back. If you watch premier league teams you’ll see constant movement from guys checking in and out to create space and opportunities. Our midfield didn’t do that at all tonight. There was no linkup play whatsoever.

- You can tell the team hasn’t played together much as a lot of the quality was just flat out poor. Passes weren’t weighted properly and a lot of guys are just in the wrong spot on the pitch.

- We desperately need DP level wingers and strikers, guys that can create their own chances.

• Beer 1

Looks like it could be a 4-4-2

GK - Kahlina

RB - Lindsey (I expect him to push forward and create some chances)

RCB - Corujo (He’s looked comfortable on the ball and is a heavy tackler)

LCB - Makoun (First look at him)

LB - Mora (Need a better game from him)

CDM - Alcivar (I think he’ll be the holding midfielder)

LCM - Hegardt (He’s been solid)

RCM - Franco (He needs to create more chances)

CAM/False 9 - Ortiz (He’s been our best player)

LF - Gaines (I want to see him use his speed and get in behind)

RF - Reyna (Excited to see what he can do in his first start)

Edited by MillionDollarCam
  • Pie 1

FT: Charlotte FC 0 - Columbus Crew 0

Much better performance today!

We are still struggling to play out of the back a bit but things are coming along. Corujo, Walkes, and Sobocinksi all impressed on the back line and Ruiz and Franco were solid in the midfield. No one really impressed much up top, but Obertan did create a little magic in the final moments of the game. If we had a few DP level wingers we might be able to build something here.