• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I think we should be prepared to let burns walk

electro's horse

51 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

I'd like to see how he performs when utilized by a good DC in a strong NFL-style defense.  He looks like more of a fit for a 3-4, and as Scot said, he was drafted at a time when we were "sorta" switching to a 3-4 and we never really did.

The problem I see is the price tag he will command when the time comes.  The decision may be made for us.

Maybe it's me, but I don't feel like we have had a coherent defensive scheme/strategy since the brain trust at the time thought the 3-4 was the answer to our problems.  I'd like to see one before I start parting with talent.  If we don't see one, we probably have to be prepared to see him elsewhere, whether we like it or not.

Good post. I could see him causing all sorts of problems as an OLB in a 3-4 scheme coordinated by a Bill Belichik or a Wade Phillips type running the defense.

To make that work though you've got to have a massive presence at the NT to cover both A gaps and DE's capable of playing the B and C gaps. We'd need bigger lineman in the middle and on the EDGE.

I have wondered if D. Brown would be more affective as a DE in a 3-4 if he had Burns coming of the edge. He'd see less double teams on passing plays. We'd also need bigger ILB's. We'd need to make a firm commitment and it would take at least 2 seasons to acquire all the pieces, assuming you drafted the right players and acquired the right FA's. I don't think the saying "the answer is on the roster" applies to us right now.

Edited by SCO96