• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Early 53 Man Roster Projection

Seltzer

Still think we add a couple of FA's that will make the team, but as of today, here are the 53 players I think would make the roster. Happy to hear anyone else's thoughts.  Think the roster is mostly set.

With all the new players, scheme, and rookie QB, I don't see us as SB contenders (although this roster has talent), but I do think and have the expectation that we can win the NFC South.

OFFENSE: 25 Total Players

QB: Bryce Young, Andy Dalton, Matt Corral

Thought maybe Corral would be moved during the draft, but I think he will be on the roster this year, and Eason will be QB4 on the practice squad.  He has history with Reich.  Dalton is a perfect backup to Young IMO.  5 years from now, the most (and really only) important thing to come from this season is Bryce Young and how he develops.

RB: Miles Sanders, Chuba Hubbard, Raheem Blackshear

Sanders is obviously the starter, and Chuba showed he could be a legit RB2 last year.  Blackshear showed some burst and was also a solid kick returner, so he could very well make this team again.  Could see him replaced with Cam Peoples as a short-yardage back or we could sign a FA (Kareem Hunt, Leonard Fournette).

TE: Hayden Hurst, Ian Thomas, Tommy Tremble

Not the best group ever, but better (on-paper) than last year, and better than many of the TE groups we've had in franchise history.  Hurst is a major upgrade at receiving TE, Ian Thomas is one of the better blocking TE's, and Tremble is still only in Year 3.  Giovanni Ricci has been a serviceable FB, and Stephen Sullivan has shown flashes as a receiving TE but I think with the numbers at WR, we only keep 3 TE's and these are the guys.

WR: Adam Theilin, DJ Chark, Terrace Marshall, Jr., Jonathan Mingo, Laviska Shenault, Damiere Byrd

I think the first 5 guys are set, and the 6th spot comes down to whether Byrd or Shi Smith can provide more at returner- my money is on Byrd.  If for some reason we only keep 2 QB's and drop Corral, Shi probably gets the 7th spot, but I think we only keep 6.  The big question is can this group collectively overcome the loss of DJ Moore and produce more?  I think so, especially if TMJ continues his late-season surge.

Offensive Line:  Ikem Ekwonu (LT), Brady Christensen (LG), Bradley Bozeman (C), Cade Mays (RG), Taylor Moton (RT), Austin Corbett, Chandler Zavala, Justin McCray,Deonte Brown, Larnel Coleman

The good news is that we are returning all five starters from a Top 10 and maybe even Top 5 unit last year .  Even with Corbett missing the start of the season, Mays and Zavala are good options to replace him.  I feel good about the top 7.  I'm sure Fitterer will be continuing to look at ways to upgrading until the season starts.  This should be a team strength provided injuries don't ruin it.

Defense: 25 Players

Defensive Line: Derrick Brown, Shy Tuttle, Deshawn Williams, Henry Anderson, Braviyon Roy, Marquan McCall

Decent group- will be interesting to see how DB does in this scheme, and if we have anyone else who can step up and take this group to the next level.  Who would have thought with all the Temple/Baylor players Rhule brought in, that Braviyon Roy might be the one to be on the team the longest?  John Penisini and Raequan Williams were both brought in as priority UDFA's who could challenge for roster spots.

Outside Linebacker: Brian Burns, Marquis Haynes, Amare Barno, Yetur Gross-Matos, DJ Johnson

I think this is the one area we still have to add a FA at, but this is the group for now.  Burns has developed into a superstar, but there are question marks behind him.  Can Haynes claim a starting spot?  Can YGM become the player they hoped for?  Can Barno and DJ Johnson make contributions this year?

Inside Linebacker: Shaq Thompson, Frankie Luvu, Brandon Smith, Bumper Pool:

Shaq and Luvu seem set as the ILB starters.  I think Bumper Pool is the one UDFA I feel has the best chance of making the roster- he only has to beat out Kamu Grugier-Hill.  I'm also interested in watching more of Brandon Smith this season.  I'm including Jeremy Chinn in the safeties group, but he will get plenty of time at LB also. 

Safeties: Jeremy Chinn, Von Bell, Xavier Woods, Jammie Robinson, Sam Frankin

After what seemed like treating this position as an afterthought during the Rivera Era, we finally might have the best safety group (on-paper) that I can remember.  Good starters, positional flexibility, and depth

Cornerbacks: Jaycee Horn, Donte Jackson, CJ Henderson, Keith Taylor, Eric Rowe

Outside of OLB/EDGE, this is the other position where I think adding a FA is still likely.  Two things that could elevate this group: 1) Donte Jackson being back healthy & 2) CJ Henderson being capable of effectively playing outside CB so we can slide Donte into the slot/nickel more where I feel like he is better suited.  It's probably a long shot, but I would love to see Marcus Peters playing opposite Jaycee.

Special Teams: 3 Players

Special Teams:  Eddy Pineiro, Johnny Hekker, JJ Jansen

Must like safety, this is an area we have quietly gotten better at the last couple of years.  JJ Jansen is a legend, and Hekker played like an All-Pro last year.  Pineiro was great outside of the Atlanta debacle.  He doesn't have the biggest leg, but he is overall accurate and available, something we came to not be able to depend on Zane Gonazles to be.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2