• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cable vs. DirecTV

Darth Biscuit

Time Warner and Fox didn't come to an agreement, so six Fox owned channels are now off TWC. I wonder if they'll lower their price now that they don't have to deal with Fox's "criminal" asking price? Nah.

I don't see how TWC has any bargaining room anymore. Simple research shows DirecTV is superior, and Dish Network is cheaper. They're the worst option of the three.

Just ordered the switch to Dish Network today. And while I knew it was cheaper than Time Warner, I was shocked at just how much cheaper. We got the classic Gold 250 package with two duel HD DVR's that will cover four rooms (the equipment and installation were free, and no start-up costs).

This gives us every channel we have with TWC, plus Encore and TMC all for just $59/mo. for the first year (then it only goes up an additional $15 after that, which will still only be $74). With TWC, we were paying approximately $115-$120/mo. for essentially the same package (and we just got a notice that the rates were about to go up as well), minus the two additional rooms of coverage and Encore/TMC...not to mention the NFL Network.

So, with the $50-$60 savings, this was about as clear a no-brainer as I've ever had.

Those of you using dish, or direct TV, what do you do about internet? I refuse to go back to dial up.

i still have to use TWC for roadrunner. nothing else is offered where I am, or i would have switched over. it really pissed me off when they said the price of that was going up after the first of the year.

Had TWC for years, and now have Direct TV. Direct TV is more expensive for the package I want, and goes out during every thunderstorm. But it has the channels my wife wants.

Don't care about Sunday ticket. Every game I want to watch comes on without it. And I am not all that excited about the NFL network either. Mostly a waste in that I might watch it 3-4 times a year.

I did dump TWC for my internet provider though. They did pretty good for several years, but when I started having problems, they tried to tell me the problem was with my 3 pc's and not their cable modem. I am a network engineer, and patiently tried to explain the problem was the cable modem, to no avail. Decided I would switch to ATT, and so far its worked out pretty well. Speed is just as good, and price is a little cheaper.

Just ordered the switch to Dish Network today. And while I knew it was cheaper than Time Warner, I was shocked at just how much cheaper. We got the classic Gold 250 package with two duel HD DVR's that will cover four rooms (the equipment and installation were free, and no start-up costs).

This gives us every channel we have with TWC, plus Encore and TMC all for just $59/mo. for the first year (then it only goes up an additional $15 after that, which will still only be $74). With TWC, we were paying approximately $115-$120/mo. for essentially the same package (and we just got a notice that the rates were about to go up as well), minus the two additional rooms of coverage and Encore/TMC...not to mention the NFL Network.

So, with the $50-$60 savings, this was about as clear a no-brainer as I've ever had.

It simply cannot be beat. Next year add on the RedZone channel for $5. Awesome way to watch football.

I did dump TWC for my internet provider though. They did pretty good for several years, but when I started having problems, they tried to tell me the problem was with my 3 pc's and not their cable modem. I am a network engineer, and patiently tried to explain the problem was the cable modem, to no avail. Decided I would switch to ATT, and so far its worked out pretty well. Speed is just as good, and price is a little cheaper.

I lost internet for three days in 2008, they tried to blame my PCs, my friend came in and discovered their modem had simply stopped working all together. Like your situation, they were adamant it wasn't on them.

AT&T got a new customer the next week.

I'm actually looking at Clear now, which provides unlimited mobile internet for $50/mo. Not sure about the speeds though.

I lost internet for three days in 2008, they tried to blame my PCs, my friend came in and discovered their modem had simply stopped working all together. Like your situation, they were adamant it wasn't on them.

AT&T got a new customer the next week.

I'm actually looking at Clear now, which provides unlimited mobile internet for $50/mo. Not sure about the speeds though.

Speed was the most important issue for me. I work from home a lot, and need as much bandwidth as possible.

Archived