• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Post-Staal Promotion...

Canes are 5-1 since giving Staal the C. And with the Chicago game tonight, you can't say it's just because he stepped his game up. He only had one assist with four different team mates scoring.

Just further proof that this is something that should have been done a long time ago. Changed the entire mentality of this team. No way to get out of the basement now, but at least they don't have to wake up ashamed every day.

They have been playing very well, but it's still the mark of the transition to a younger team. Veterans will be moved, and the team will just have to deal with it. It's unfortunate that they waited this late to really get their game going, but being completely realistic, we have no chance at the playoffs. It's just nice to see the guys playing hard and winning some games, and seeing our best player actually be our best player.

only 11 points out of a playoff spot with 28 games left, we have 2 extra games then Montreal. 2 games against Montreal as well. That's 4 game swing on Montreal or 8 points if we win those 4 games. makes it 53 - 55 in points. In 7th place we have Atlanta and we play them 3 more times the rest of the year...While it isn't likely to happen and most likely won't happen, it's actually still very feasible.

Off the top of my head, we should get rid of Whitney, Samsonov, Cullen, Yelle, Brind'Amour, Cole, Walker, Wallin, Aaron Ward, and Corvo.

Trade away who we can for what we can, and get rid of the rest at the end of the year.

Wouldn't argue with that. Wouldn't even argue with scrapping the games for the rest of the year and using them all as "auditions" for farm talent. See who we've got on the books already who would work better with development.

Absolutely. I have been impressed with all of the Rats so far like Boychuck and Samson. Sutter, obviously, but he's clearly made the club by leaps and bounds.

JR has just been holding out to get the most he can for the veterans he'll deal out. I have not lost faith, and I wouldn't be surprised if we were very well compensated for guys like Whitney and Cullen.

LeBrun: I wouldn't be surprised if Ponikarovsky is the guy who ends up in Pittsburgh, but that's just a hunch. While we're talking about contenders, I should update a situation with the San Jose Sharks. It does appear a trade with the Carolina Hurricanes, from what I've been told, could go through as early as today. (The Sharks would acquire Niclas Wallin.) San Jose was hot to trot for a blueliner, and it appears it has one now. The trade was first reported by TSN in Canada on Wednesday night, but it has taken a while to complete the deal because of Wallin's no-trade clause. Good pickup for Sharks GM Doug Wilson if the deal is indeed completed.

also from the article

I think ownership will put some level of pressure on Lombardi to do something because it will have known he was on the final short list to land Kovalchuk. Whitney, at age 37, can't expect a three-year extension, not with the 35-and-older rule that says a player's average salary counts against a team's cap each year of the contract, even if he retires. The Kings would be willing to do a one-year extension; I have to think cooler heads will prevail there. But we'll see. The Penguins, I'm sure, are hoping the Kings miss out on him. From what I was told Thursday, the Penguins haven't called Carolina yet because they simply can't afford him right now. It's not so much that Whitney's $3.55 million salary is that big a deal, but it's the fact that Carolina won't take any salary in return in any Whitney swap. The Hurricanes want picks or prospects. So, if you're Pittsburgh with its tight cap room, it appears you have to wait until March 2 or March 3 to enter the fray.

Wallin is apparently refusing to waive his NTC.

A potential trade involving Carolina Hurricanes defenseman Niclas Wallin has fallen through.

"There was a pending deal with a team, and after going through the process of a few days, it didn't materialize," Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford told ESPN.com on Saturday.

TSN of Canada reported Wednesday night that a trade to send Wallin to the San Jose Sharks was nearly complete. Rutherford refused to identify the team to ESPN.com, but a source confirmed it was the Sharks. Wallin, an unrestricted free agent July 1, has a no-trade clause.

Archived