• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Laptop Help?

Speed

My D600 hit the floor and died slowly there after. I have a D610 on the way. Would it be advisable to swap out the hard drives in order to narrow the problem to hard drive or something else?

if you dropped it and it didn't die immediately, odds are it was your hard drive. Are you trying to repair the 600?

Does the PC turn on? Does the BIOS get to the point where it is supposed to load the OS?

If so:

Will it load your OS off of an USB HDD? Find this in your CMOS Setup.

If so try it with that.

Overall we need more information about exactly what your computer is doing or not doing.

The new system has an OS installed. The broken machine will boot from a CD. With out the cd I get the message "If this is the first time you have seen this try rebooting.

I am wondering if I put the HD from the new machine into the broken system can the broken system hurt the new HD. Also if I put the HD from the broken machine , can it hurt the new machine?

If the old HD boots in the new machine I will be certain the problem is with the PC. Or if the HD from the new system boots in the old PC, I will be certain it is the HD.

The HD is easy change. One screw and it slides right out. Slide right in and put the one screw back. I just would like to know that is the problem. I am guessing i is too. I can just order another HD a OS and back to business. I prefer not to order another HD if that is not the problem. That is why the original question.

i'd get another hard drive, don't take the one out of your laptop that works.

This

The problem with changing the HDDs from one to the other is that you may need to reinstall the OS.

Luckily HDDs are pretty cheap. If you have to then swap 'em and see what happens but I'd recommend getting a new one if you can afford it.

Archived