• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Looking for some new Sci/Fi or Fantasy novels.

Kurb

I read somewhere that the Kingkiller Chronicles is being adapted to a TV series. I haven't read these yet, so how do you feel about that?

Totally excited. I HOPE it is on a premium cable network to do it justice. There aren't too many adult situations, I suppose... well, besides this whole section of one book so far, but I think it is in the vein of GOT that it would be better served somewhere that can take that kinda time with it.

• Pie 2

Has anyone read The Way of Kings?

I've thought about it. But, I saw that it is part 1 of 10. I don't know that I can get into another series that is that long, lol.

If you have read it or plan to, let me know how it is and I might just eventually get to it.

I've thought about it. But, I saw that it is part 1 of 10. I don't know that I can get into another series that is that long, lol.

If you have read it or plan to, let me know how it is and I might just eventually get to it.

Apparently I have absent mindedly become an exclusively Brandon Sanderson reader for the next several weeks.

I went to Barnes and Noble to try and pick up "Red Country" by Joe Abercrombie as it is a stand alone novel that takes place in the First Law world that extends the story of one of my favorite characters. 

Anyway, Barnes and Noble didn't have the book, but I had a gift card so I figured I would pick up something new.  I finally decided to pick up the "Mistborn" trilogy because I had heard it was pretty good.  Then I was trying to decide between the first novel of the The Kingkiller trilogy and "The Way of Kings" but then heard the third book of "Kingkiller" had been pushed back.  Everywhere I had read on the internet kept saying how good "The Way of Kings" was.  I knew it was just the beginning of a supposed 10 book series, but finally I was like "fug it.  I will read these 4 books, and then whenever the final book for the Kingkiller trilogy is out I will pick up the whole trilogy and knock that out then.

It was only after I got back to the house that I realized every book I bought was a Brandon Sanderson book. :huh:

Point of that overly long story being, I have "The Way of Kings" and will read it after I finish the Mistborn trilogy.  I will let you know if it lives up to the hype, and I really hope I like Brandon Sanderson because that is all I am reading for the next several weeks lol

Edited by teeray
  • Pie 1

BTW, have you read the First Law trilogy yet??

BTW, have you read the First Law trilogy yet??

I haven't. I almost bought The Blade Itself once on a whim... but the trilogy did find its way on my list. I will get to it eventually.

Right now I'm reading 3 books, lol.

Perdido Street Station by China Mieville (on recommendation from a friend)

Shift by Hugh Howey (actually the second book in the series, a prequel to the first, but I have read Wool and Dust so I am kinda backtracking with this one)

1984 by George Orwell (never read it back in the day but figure I need to knock out some classics)

• Pie 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished the First Law Trilogy. Can't recommend it enough. I loved it.

It had some of the gritty darkness and realism that a George Martin book has, it had great POV characters that you really care about. None of them are inheritably good, as they all have dark flaws. One is a barbarian and mass murderer, one is a torturer, one is self centered asshole, etc.

If you like ASOFAI, you would probably like these 3 books. Really it is just one big book in 3 volumes. The last book was impossible to put down for me.

Good stuff. Would recommend.

ETA: this trilogy also had one of my favorite characters in recent memory. Logen Ninefingers, none as the "Bloody Nine".

He is a badass

Really? I thought it was garbage at the end.

Really? I thought it was garbage at the end.

I liked the end even if everything doesn't get wrapped up into a happy ending for all with all loose ends tied.

The ending also helped spurn his other books in the same world.

I just finished "Red Country" which expanded one of the stories of a main POV character (I don't really want to give it away even though it is pretty obvious after a couple of chapters)

It was more like a western than fantasy, but it was really good. I would recommend.

There is a book I am about to read about Black Dow and his reign.

I am sure there are more books from the First Law world coming.

His books are different and dark, but that is what I like about Abercrombie, and some of the dialogue is awesome.

Edited by teeray

I just finished the Mistborn trilogy. Pretty good read. Interesting magic system.

The main characters are really well developed especially the main protagonist Vin.

First book was a little slow as it spends a great deal of time explaining the magic and introducing the characters. But it ends strong.

The second book I enjoyed a lot, and I burned through the third book anxious to see how it all ended.

It doesn't hold up to some of the others I have read, but it was a pretty strong series.

Brandon Sanderson is a great story teller and does a good job making you excited to see what is going to happen next.

Mistborn would make for a good movie trilogy I think.

Edited by teeray

Way of Kings is my jam. Super excited for that series.

I am only 60 pages in, but I am excited about starting it. I have heard nothing but good things about it. I am worried about how long it will take Sanderson to finish a 10 book 10,000+ page epic story like this one is planned to be. I hope I am not 60 years old by the time it is finished.

But the reviews have been so good I decided to go ahead and take the plunge.

Plus Brandon Sanderson is such a good writer.

Have you read book 2 yet?

Also, any other completed series you would recommend?

Edited by teeray

• 2 weeks later...