• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

UNDRAFTED FREE AGENT thread

MHS831

On 4/28/2024 at 9:42 PM, MHS831 said:

Since I live on the edge, I will make some bold predictions.  You may know me as the guy who got the player and the team correct during my first round mock draft 8 times.  That is a 25% of perfection, baby.

Without further ado do:

Undrafted signees that will make the 53-man roster:

Willie Drew CB Virginia State.  6 foot CB who ran a 4.46 at the combine and had six picks last season.  With Horn and Jackson at starting positions and Hill and Smith Wade at Nickel, Drew and Bootle will be the reserve CBs.

Jalen Coker, WR Holy Cross.  6' 1" and 210lb WR who can play any WR position.  He had a 42.5" vertical and a 1.52 Ten yard split.  Broad jump as nearly 10' 8".  Great hands, excellent route runner (entire tree), and successful with an inferior QB.  1950 yards last 2 seasons and over 100 receptions when everyone knew he was getting the ball.  I personally think they would have drafted him but they calculated that he would become an undrafted free agent and they already had a deal on the table for him.  (my theory).  He has to beat out TMJ, Smith-Marsette, or Mingo to get the job.  I see the WR Corps:  Johnson, Legette, Thielen, Mingo, Coker, and the sixth guy (Smith-Marsette or TMJ.

Undrafted signees that could make the Practice Squad:

Andrew Raym, C Oklahoma.  Centers on the PS are two dimensional, and the Panthers need one since their current centers are talking online classes in "NFL Hiking".  Raym would be the third C in the depth at the position, and a third center allows you to run offensive reps faster at practice with three groups (assuming we get a third QB).   NFL Combine reports call him a "tough guy" with size who needs to work on some issues.  Sounds like a dawg.

Christian Duffie, OT/OG, Kansas State:  The scheme fit that best fits Duffy's strengths is a zone scheme with quick passes in an RPO/Possession, or heavy run Offense.  That sounds about right for the Canales system.   He should be a good project for the practice squad, but he is 24 years old.

Sam Pinckney, TE Coastal Carolina.  Can't beat the press man coverage, runs poor routes, slower than CBs.  However, he catches contested balls and is 6' 4", 220.  If the Panthers can add 20 pounds, he might get a look at TE by 2025.  However, he is 25 years old, so his window is going to close by next year. 

Popo Aumavae  NT,  Oregon.   At 6'3" 315, he plays with good arm extension, strong hands, and balance.  He hustles to sideline (like Brown).  He had 3 sacks his SR year--his 7th season (He will be 26 in January 2025).  I would keep Popo on the practice squad for a season or two to give depth.

Now look at the draft from the perspective that we added a CB and WR--two areas of need--with the undrafted free agents.  We added a second rounder for 2025.  We got a first round WR, the best RB in the draft, the second-best pass catching TE in the draft, a dawg LB, a versatile CB, a defensive lineman, and a LB.  Pretty solid draft that followed a pretty solid free agency period.

Why was Coker not a 3rd/4th round guy? Besides small school, he must have a glaring weakness. That size, vertical and production is very very good and I’ve heard he’s elite route runner. Slow? Drops? 

• Pie 1

20 minutes ago, jb2288 said:

Why was Coker not a 3rd/4th round guy? Besides small school, he must have a glaring weakness. That size, vertical and production is very very good and I’ve heard he’s elite route runner. Slow? Drops? 

slow long speed along and no one seen him against good CBs. 

He still has other traits that many successful WRs carry. He's got elite 10 yard speed and vert. Also seems to be a great route runner. 

He's got NO issues for drops, I think hes only had two for the whole season. Great hands, but those balls were creampuffs. 

Carolina Panthers 2024 Undrafted Free Agents (Not yet official) 

·       1)  QB – Jack Plummer, Louisville

·       2)  RB – Jaden Shirden, Monmouth

·       3)  WR – Devin Carter, West Virginia

·       4) WR – Jalen Coker, Holy Cross

·       5) WR – Sam Pinckney, Coastal Carolina

·       6) TE – Kevin Foelsch, New Haven

·       7) C – Andrew Raym, Oklahoma

·      😎iOL- Christian Duffie, Kansas State

·       9) iOL – Jeremiah Crawford, Tennessee

·      10) EDGE – Derrick McLendon, Colorado

·      11)  EDGE – Kenny Dyson Jr, Bryant University

·      12)  DE – Darius Hodges, Tulane

·      13)  DE – Popo Aumavae, Oregon

·      14)  LB – Jackson Mitchell, UConn

·      15)  CB – DeShawn Gaddie Jr, Ole Miss

·      16)  CB – Willie Drew, Virginia State

·       17) SAF – Clayton Isbell, Coastal Carolina

·       18) SAF – Demani Richardson, Texas A&M

·       19)  PK – Harrison Mevis, Missouri

• Pie 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, jb2288 said:

Good question--good athlete, good hands.  Everyone knew he was getting the ball and his qb was not good.  Good routes, high character.   The only answer I can come up with--small school--but we had a first round CB from Toledo. 

He can even get off against press coverage.    Hands are great.  Even catches contested balls (see Buffalo game).  His only criticism is that they do not see elite vertical speed and there is a "lack of suddenness" .  Some feel his YACs will be limited.  Beyond that, I have no idea.

Edited by MHS831

2 hours ago, jb2288 said:

Well he was projected 5th/6th by most profiles I read. Most had these same weaknesses, slow vertical speed, no NFL competition, whatever. He had the same 40 and 20/10 splits as Antonio Brown, 3" more height and like 10" more vertical.

It's mostly going to come down to the level of competition he faced and if he can get decent separation 

SCOUTING REPORT: WEAKNESSES
  • Lacks explosive separation quickness and deep speed, often requires contested catches due to close coverage.
  • Performance against higher caliber defenses remains a significant unknown, potentially impacting transition to the NFL.
  • Subpar after-the-catch dynamics, with limited elusiveness and downfield acceleration affecting YAC potential.
  • May struggle to step up his game - especially after playing at a lower level of compeition
  • Initial stiffness in press situations could be exploited by physical NFL cornerbacks, necessitating refined footwork and release strategy.

2 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

Well he was projected 5th/6th by most profiles I read. Most had these same weaknesses, slow vertical speed, no NFL competition, whatever. He had the same 40 and 20/10 splits as Antonio Brown, 3" more height and like 10" more vertical.

It's mostly going to come down to the level of competition he faced and if he can get decent separation 

SCOUTING REPORT: WEAKNESSES
  • Lacks explosive separation quickness and deep speed, often requires contested catches due to close coverage.
  • Performance against higher caliber defenses remains a significant unknown, potentially impacting transition to the NFL.
  • Subpar after-the-catch dynamics, with limited elusiveness and downfield acceleration affecting YAC potential.
  • May struggle to step up his game - especially after playing at a lower level of compeition
  • Initial stiffness in press situations could be exploited by physical NFL cornerbacks, necessitating refined footwork and release strategy.

Working for a season under Adam Thielen (another undrafted WR) should be a positive factor.  Some of these issues are correctable.  Many kids from small schools not only lack experience against DI schools, they lack the coaching that develops talent. 

2 hours ago, MHS831 said:

Good question--good athlete, good hands.  Everyone knew he was getting the ball and his qb was not good.  Good routes, high character.   The only answer I can come up with--small school--but we had a first round CB from Toledo. 

He can even get off against press coverage.    Hands are great.  Even catches contested balls (see Buffalo game).  His only criticism is that they do not see elite vertical speed and there is a "lack of suddenness" .  Some feel his YACs will be limited.  Beyond that, I have no idea.

I mean you can see it in his highlights - he has CBs from Yale and Colgate in his hip pocket. 

Yes he's making contested catches and moving the chains, but those aren't even P4 CBs and he's struggling to separate. 

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, OldhamA said:

I mean you can see it in his highlights - he has CBs from Yale and Colgate in his hip pocket. 

Yes he's making contested catches and moving the chains, but those aren't even P4 CBs and he's struggling to separate. 

Yeah, banking on his hands, vertical, height etc. Thing is we have a processor with an average arm, not a gunslinger so he might not even get those 50/50's to even show what he can do. XL has some of the same BY issues, if he doesn't get some 50/50 throws his way he's going to be stuck catching a lot of expected shallow crossers aka dinks and dunks

• Pie 1

53 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

Obviously he has limitations. but Coker was running a lot of deep routes.  I do not see that as his role here, but we will see if they can get him to fit in.  It seems (based on what I saw reported about his contract-if accurate) that they want him here for some reason.  Deep routes take away his advantage as a WR...he is a route runner, so we will probably see him running slants and outs quite a bit--wherever they play him

22 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Obviously he has limitations. but Coker was running a lot of deep routes.  I do not see that as his role here, but we will see if they can get him to fit in.  It seems (based on what I saw reported about his contract-if accurate) that they want him here for some reason.  Deep routes take away his advantage as a WR...he is a route runner, so we will probably see him running slants and outs quite a bit--wherever they play him

BY don't throw deep so they might like the red zone jump ball option

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, MHS831 said:

Working for a season under Adam Thielen (another undrafted WR) should be a positive factor.  Some of these issues are correctable.  Many kids from small schools not only lack experience against DI schools, they lack the coaching that develops talent. 

Exactly, I mean it as no offense to his coaches, but they coach at Holy Cross and not a Power 5 school for a reason.

Given his success at that level and his solid testing, I'm surprised he went undrafted, seems like the type that could excel once he gets NFL level coaching.

One of higher expectations I've had for an UDFA in a long time.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, MHS831 said:

This^

My receivers coming out lack the coaching needed to play in the nfl. Very few schools run an nfl style offense. Most rookies will need a lot of coaching even more than before to learn a nfl system. It's the nature of the game in the last half decade or more. I've heard that mentioned by coaches on more than one occasion in past several years. That's why receivers coaches are more important than ever before.

Edited by Jon Snow