• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

jramsey4's Draft Board (25+ prospects reviewed)

jramsey4

In the time I have been following the draft (the last 5 or 6 years) I can never remember a draft class that stood out this much to me. I can see starting caliber talent projected to go all over the board, from 3rd-UDFA. The hype for the last couple of year about this impending draft class has lived up to the expectations IMO.

It was actually very difficult to narrow down prospects that I liked. So difficult I ended up just making a kind of draft board instead of a mock to cover all the bases. Some guys I like such as Jimmy Graham TE, Lagrette Blouut RB, Joique Bell RB, and CJ Spiller RB will never be a Panther due to depth at the positions but I think will all be stars. I can see this draft going down as one of the greatests depending on how the CBA works out and work stopage.

Round 2

Brandon Graham DE - Michigan:

Probably wishful thinking but he had an average combine (Great on the Bench and that shows on tape) and with this loaded draft class who knows. If not I could concievably see us trading our 1st next year again for a 2nd and 4th if he falls to the early 2nd. To me as it stands Graham is the best 4-3 DE in this draft.

He is outstanding in both the pass rush and run coverage/containment (had one play in the Senior Bowl where he perfectly read a reverse and forced it back inside then cleaned up the tackle for a loss). Absolutely dominated in the senior bowl where he was almost unblockable. If he makes it here he would be a great steal and BPA in a position of need.

Demaryius Thomas WR - GT

Had he not broken his leg he probably would have lite up the combine and been a lock in the 1st (according to what I have read he still should be ready to go by TC). Now he could end up falling to us. If that happens we would be very foolish to pass on him. He has ridiculous talent. 6'3" 230lbs and can run like a gazelle.

Supposedly ran a 4.39 40 at Arizona not long ago. He also is very good at coming back to an underthrown ball (Moore isn't as bad as Jake but he isn't perfect). He played for a run-first offense (and mostly terrible QB play) that severly limited is production and at GT if you can't block you don't play so thats not a concern.

Brian Price DT - UCLA

Boy has Price taken a tumble down draft boards. At the start of the offseason I don't anyone thought he would make it out of the 1st (although I had hoped, now most don't even think he'll be drafted until early 2nd. I sure hope people continue to sleep on this guy because he would be a beast at UT here. IMO he is the 2nd best pentrating DT in this draft (behind Suh, Yes I think he is better then Mccoy however he is not as well rounded).

He fits the role of UT perfectly. We need to be able to get pressure up the middle and Price is one of the best I have seen at doing this. Another one I wouldn't mind trading a 1st next year for a 2nd and 4th (next year he most likely, with a similar year of production, would be a top 15 pick and the 4th is loaded with talent).

Corey Wootton DE - Northwestern

If they are all gone by 48 I think we should trade back far enough to pick up a n extra 4th and get Wootton. Don't get this wrong but Wootton reminds me of what Pep always brought to the table.

Although he is nowhere near the athlete Pep was he has an outstanding bull rush and he has shown he can drop back into short zone coverage. He also is big weighing in at 270 and standing 6'6" and has the frame to put on more muscle. He also is similar to CJ in that I think you could move him in on passing downs to the 3 Tech.

A formation with Brown, CJ, Wootton, Taylor would be a pretty potent 3rd down/pass rushing front. Wooton is more of a younger more athletic and bigger Brayton. Best on the left side and is a better run defender then pass rusher. This is a good thing as both CJ and Brown are more suited for the RE so it gives us a good rotation and depth.

Round 3

I wouldn't mind if there is a run on recievers in the early 2nd and Brian Price is off the board if we trade 48 for 2 3rds. There really isn't that many guys that will be available, most likely, that you couldn't get similar players with better value in the 3rd and pick up another pick. This is escpically the case if we trade our 1st for a high 2nd again.

Torrell Troup DT (NT) - UCF

Stands in at 6'3” and is 315lbs of muscle. Is big and good at clogging the hole and good at absorbing blockers, must have qualities for the 0 or 1 technique. But he also is good at collapsing the pocket. He has been a major reason UCF ranked 4th nationally in rushing defense at 2.58 YPC avg (wow).

His blocker-eating ability has allowed his team to make big plays all season long allowing them to finish 5th in sacks with 37. He also has had 80 tackles and 4 sacks the last two years. I think he has great potential at the nose and we IMO could use another one. I see him starting at some point this year.

http://www.patriots.com/mediacenter/index.cfm?ac=VideoNewsdetail&pid=42464&pcid=83&searchstring=

(On a side note look what the Pats fans get on their website)

Austen Lane DE - Murray State (unless we get Wootton or Graham)

Lane is a bit of a project but I think he could be a good rotational guy with what we already have. A good Strength coach needs to get a hold of him to bring out his potential (his main weakness is lack of upper body strength) With the right coaching and training he could develop into an every down replacement for the dominant force that just left. He has outstanding athleticism and I believe our coaching staff (Meeks and company) could do wonders for him.

Geno Atkins DT - Geoirga

Every time I see this guy play I see him get consistent pentration into the backfield and disrupts plays. I hear alot of concerns about that translating into sacks, I say sacks are overrated. With our playmaking back 7 we really should be just trying to maximize pressure on the QB up the middle and if our DE's don't clean up hopefully it turns into picks (TO>Sack any day of the week).

At the Senior Bowl the man looked unstoppable. I wan't us to get him or Price even though our DT situation looks locked up because I still don't see the great 1 gap pentrator we need. I think Tyler would be fine there but I think Price or Atkins could star there. And with a solid penetrating DT it would keep QB's from being able to step up out of Browns speed rush as easily.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/09000d5d8177ec1e/2010-Draft-Vignettes-Geno-Atkins-Georgia

Donald Butler MLB/SLB Washington

I personally think Butler would make an outstanding SLB in our scheme (and be solid MLB depth allow us to move Connor). He's big (6'1 245) and strong (5th most reps at the combine period including both lines) and still good enough in coverage to drop back with a RB or TE. He is very good at reading the QB eyes in coverage. Has great instincts and is hard to fool on PA or misdirection. His so called biggest weakness is his speed is ironic considering he ran a 4.61 40. Don't be suprised if you see this guy in Hawaii this January.

4th round:

This is a good year if your the Panthers and can, to try to stockpile 4th's somehow. There is starter-caliber talent IMO in both great positions of need (DT and WR). In fact I find it hard to narrow down all the prospects projected to go in this range. I'm going to choose 4 WR's, a NT/DT and a SLB that I believe will develop into solid starters.

Jacoby Ford WR - Clemson

If he makes it to the 4th he is easily my BPA. I have watched him at Clemson ever since he has gotten there and I have always said he will be special at the next level. You all know about his speed but his ability in the open field to make people miss is very underrated. That makes him an excellent fit for our vacant returner position (where as good as he is in that area he wasn't even the best on the team, Clemson has speed thats for sure).

He has good hands and hand-eye coordination (watch the highlights at the 2:05 mark) and his YAC ability is IMO very underrated and I think he would be a perfect "Smith-type" reciever waiting in the wings for when he wants to hang them up (or by the looks of things we trade or cut him).

Riley Cooper WR - Florida

One of the most underated WR's in this draft. I hardly ever here any mention him other then myself on this board. He would thrive in our O as he has the ability to stretch the field (he has deciptive speed) and is an outstanding blocker. He also has a good set of hand and was probably one of the best route runners at the SB. IMO he is an ideal #2 in our offense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1KagXIaQxQ

Andre Roberts WR - Citadel:

Roberts is a quick receiver who is very good at YAC. Can change directions in a flash which has made him a dangerous returner as well (both things we need). Showed the courage to catch passes up the middle of the field in the senior bowl, making some fantastic catches. Has played well everytime he has faced tougher competition (seen him torch my Tigers and played well at the SB) so I have no concerns about the level of comp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An5rP_BiEdg

Jimmy Williams WR - Tulane

Williams is a big strong possession receiver who has good speed (ran a reported 4.44 40 at his pro day) and outstanding hands and body placement. I watch him consistently get between the QB and defender covering allowing the QB to complete an easy pass, in the Senior Bowl. He also showed off his route running all game, seemingly getting opened and targeted every play. Would be great in the slot.

AJ Edds SLB - Iowa

Diggs 2.0, Edds is a more athletic, younger, and cheaper diggs. He is great in coverage (one of the best LB's in the draft) and is also outstanding in run defense (always around the ball despite his average speed) but brings no pass rushing value. I would wager if we get him that Edds would beat out Connor by mid-season for the SLB positon. Hes also a good leader (permant team captin). Get this (didn't know this till the NFL Vignettes video) he is a good longsnapper. Two best word in a later round draft prospects review: Value and Versatality (could save us a spot if he does well there).

6th Round:

Well we sure do have a lot of oppurtinuites to get some gems with all those new shinny compensatory picks. Its a good draft becuase there is a ton of good talent that will fall due to depth. And like I said a lot of players will probably drop in this range that in other years would have been 3rd-4th range. This is the range we start working at depth mainly on the lines.

Tony Washington LT - Abline Christian

Very good atlhete with the ideal LT build (6'7" 310lbs). And even at that size is very light on his feet. He also has those long arms teams covet at the LT position. He has charicter concerns (sex offender, I won't go there) and is very raw (needs to improve his footwork and hand technique) which is why he is projected to go here (although I tend to think he gets overdrafted).

I love Wharton's versatility but I would much prefer him stay at LG so we are in need of a solid backup. I think with time and good coaching (IMO we have the best oline coaching in the league) he could be a very good backup LT, maybe even win out the job in a year or two allowing us to trade Gross. IMHO in a year of plenty in the 6th, I think it is fine and even advisible to take a chance on a guy with his upside.

Brandon Carter OG - Texas Tech

He played at T but I want to see what he can do at G. He has a nasty mean streak that would suit him well at G. Also his tight hips won't be as much of an issue inside a phonebooth. He is a huge mountain of a man at 6'6" 330 and is pretty quick on his feet for that size. Carter would be a talented and verasatile swing backup (I think he could play at any postion aside from C). Probably would be best at RT due to his height but he might make an excellent G.

Zoltan Mesko P - Micighan

Yes I think this is a need. Not only is Baker not that great of a punter but he has a horrible punting time that I have timed at 2.5 seconds (catch to toe) before. This combined with only average blocking = block. He also brings next to no KOS value. Zoltan is considered by many to be one of the best P prospects in awhile. He has a booming leg and I really like how his left footed kicks make it more difficult for returners to field. He also could handle the KOS role. I think he will be go 4th-5th but if he is there when we pick I think we should grab him.

7th Round

Freddie Barnes WR - Bowling Green

Slow as mollasses but that didn't stop him from racking up over 155 catches, 1770 yards, and 19 tds this season. As slow as he is he still finds a way to get open by running great routes. He might never excel in this league but I like what I see enough out of him to take a chance on him in the 7th.

Aaron Webster SS - Cinncanti

Good size at 6'2" 211 lb. He has the range to play center field but he can also come up and stop opposing teams in the run game. He is a hard hitter and would make a excellent backup SS/special teamer. I think Harris is still good but it isn't like his irreplaceable I think Webster has more talent in coverage and brings the same kind of presence in the run game Harris brings and would be a solid backup or eventual replacement. He also would contrbuite on ST.

UDFAs:

Sean Canfield QB - Oregeon State

He stands in at 6'4” 215 lbs, has solid arm strength, played in a pro style offense, and is accurate (he completed 67.9% of his passes this year 70% before a bad bowl game), he threw 21 td and 7 ints this year as well. I have been watching him closly this offseason and have he has been inconsistent (looking great in some times like on the rollout while average or bad in other areas like in the SB practices at times). But at the end of the day I see a Matt Moore clone.

They are similar in size, arm stregth, mobility, and accuracy came from the same team and when I see him play I could just as easily believe it was Moore still behind center. They are also both great at hitting there recievers in stride They even have/had similar knocks on them the biggest being driving the ball outside the hashmarks. If nothing else he's worth a preseason roster spot IMO.

AJ Jackson WR - California (PA)

Small school huge kid. Jackson stands in at 6-5 240 lbs and runs in the 4.68-4.75 range so is defiently the big pocession reciever type. All the film I have seen of this kid makes me think he will be an awesome redzone threat. He is able to go up beat the defender and highpoint the ball (35" vert). He also has the ability to make some crazy catches (one handers, sideline acrobatic catches, etc).

Has a good set of hands on him and makes quite a few big plays. And the best part is he is an outstanding run blocker (in the video he puts 2 dbs on there butts) Low risk/high reward player. If it was me I would most likely use a 7th on him because I would say he will be a higly sought after UDFA.

Scott Long WR - Louisville

Man as far as combine numbers are concerned hes perfect. Standing at 6'2" and weighting 216 lbs he ran a 4.46 40, 41.5" vert, 10'3" broad jump and get this he now owns the all time record for 3 cone drill at 6.45 (wow). He is a good route runner and he does have good hands. You might be saying wait and he is supposed to go undrafted. Well unfortuanetly for him he is about as unlucky as it gets. He didn't get to start until his junior year where he missed the 1st game due to a foot injury came back had a stellar game (134 yards 2 tds) then tears his ACL. This season he was surronded by poor talent and poor QB play that limited his production to just 727 yards and 2 tds. For as well as he did at the combine he gets next to no love but I defineitly think he is worth a UDFA signing.

Callahan Bright DT/NT- Saw

If your thinking you have heard that name before you would be right. Bright was a 5 star prospect coming out of HS (where he was a monster). He is an athletic freak at 6'2" 340 lbs he still has nimble feet and is pretty fast for his size. Watch him destroy Eugene Monroe (2009 8th overall pick) in the HS combine (1:20 mark of the video in the link). He was going to go to FSU but his grades weren't up to snuff so he went to Junior college and stayed there. Also had a small marijuana pocession. He has a tremendous bull rush where he gets outstanding leverage. His atletism and size are Worth a shot as an UDFA. With good surrondings and coaching he could be a force.

Mike Ward DT/NT - Weseley

For a 6'1" 320+ NT he has got some wheels (just watch go watch the video in the link). I swear at times its like watching a 320 pound LB chasing the QB. Hes got a good bull rush and plays with good strength and has good agility. Main concerns are level of competition and he needs to work on better use of his hands. Once again a ton of upside in a position of need worth a shot as a UDFA

Wildcards:

Some other guys that have a lot of upside that would fit our scheme/need/team but probably not be who the Panthers go after. Preticularly the QB's I think we will go the UDFA route (and let Cantwell and them fight it out for # 2 or 3) and then get a Vet that gets cut due to a draftee. Garrard is my best case possibility there.

Jarrett Brown (WVU) - QB

IMO its a dead heat with Skelton and Jarret Brown for the most upside, at QB, in this class. I think Skelton has more arm strength (that is debatable) but Brown is more accurate but also more inconsitent. Both of them are projects coming from a non-pro style offense, that I wouldn't pick before the 3rd-4th but who could go higher. The more I watch of Brown the more I like him. I have seen him stay calm under pressure avoid it then hit a deep route 60 yards down the field on the run and the pass is right on the money and it hits the receiver in stride. And boy does he throw a pretty pass. The more and more I see him the more and more I would take him over Skelton but I would be happy with either.

Dan Lefevour QB - CMU

Wherin Brown is a project QB I think Lefeveor is the other end of the spectrum. If he he can make the transition to under center (played well there in the SB) he could start almost immediatily IMO (by his 2 or 3rd year). If Moore was to go down or not live up to expectations I would trust Lefevour to lead this offense. He has good accuracy, great mobility (many say he is better then The Golden Calf of Bristol I am one of them), above average Arm strength, and has great field vison. He also would bring some trick play options (brings a passing threat to our Wildcat). Most likely he will go in the 4th round where he has great value.

The Golden Calf of Bristol QB

I wont go into much detail except to say I would not put money on The Golden Calf of Bristol to fail in this league. He seems the type of guy that all these doubts and critcisms just feed to his determination. Depending on where he goes (I would take a flyer on him in the 3rd if he falls, unlikely) I wouldn't mind us getting him because its kind of like buying a lottery ticket, you could have nothing or you could hit a gold mine. If he ends up in a situation like Aaron Rodgers had I think he will be a top NFL QB but if he is pressed into service before he can be deprogramed he will fold like a house of cards.

Dexter McCluster RB/WR/KR - Ole Miss

Mr. Versatility, Mighty Mouse, or just Playmaker pick a nickname out because this kid could make D coor have nightmares. Yeah I know he doesn't have straight line speed running a disastoures 40 yard dash at the combine, but I say who cares. McCluster has insane change of direction skills that have you holding your breath every time he touches the ball (especially in space). Thoose COD skills also make him a prime candiate for the slot reciever postion and at kick/punt returning. His size is a concern but I think in the right O he could be special. I'm guessing he is a Pat come Draft Day as he would be perfect in a Wes Welker/Recieving RB type roll.

http://vimeo.com/7781366

There is no reason not to come away with a good receiver in this draft. There are just too many good options if Hurney misses in this draft he shouldn't have a job just MO. This draft is so loaded we ought to come out with at least a solid starter or 2 late and is an excellent draft to restock the coffers (depth).

4th round:

This is a good year if your the Panthers and can, to try to stockpile 4th's somehow. There is starter-caliber talent IMO in both great positions of need (DT and WR). In fact I find it hard to narrow down all the prospects projected to go in this range. I'm going to choose 4 WR's, a NT/DT and a SLB that I believe will develop into solid starters.

Jacoby Ford WR - Clemson

If he makes it to the 4th he is easily my BPA. I have watched him at Clemson ever since he has gotten there and I have always said he will be special at the next level. You all know about his speed but his ability in the open field to make people miss is very underrated. That makes him an excellent fit for our vacant returner position (where as good as he is in that area he wasn't even the best on the team, Clemson has speed thats for sure).

He has good hands and hand-eye coordination (watch the highlights at the 2:05 mark) and his YAC ability is IMO very underrated and I think he would be a perfect "Smith-type" reciever waiting in the wings for when he wants to hang them up (or by the looks of things we trade or cut him).

Riley Cooper WR - Florida

One of the most underated WR's in this draft. I hardly ever here any mention him other then myself on this board. He would thrive in our O as he has the ability to stretch the field (he has deciptive speed) and is an outstanding blocker. He also has a good set of hand and was probably one of the best route runners at the SB. IMO he is an ideal #2 in our offense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1KagXIaQxQ

Andre Roberts WR - Citadel:

Roberts is a quick receiver who is very good at YAC. Can change directions in a flash which has made him a dangerous returner as well (both things we need). Showed the courage to catch passes up the middle of the field in the senior bowl, making some fantastic catches. Has played well everytime he has faced tougher competition (seen him torch my Tigers and played well at the SB) so I have no concerns about the level of comp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An5rP_BiEdg

Jimmy Williams WR - Tulane

Williams is a big strong possession receiver who has good speed (ran a reported 4.44 40 at his pro day) and outstanding hands and body placement. I watch him consistently get between the QB and defender covering allowing the QB to complete an easy pass, in the Senior Bowl. He also showed off his route running all game, seemingly getting opened and targeted every play. Would be great in the slot.

AJ Edds SLB - Iowa

Diggs 2.0, Edds is a more athletic, younger, and cheaper diggs. He is great in coverage (one of the best LB's in the draft) and is also outstanding in run defense (always around the ball despite his average speed) but brings no pass rushing value. I would wager if we get him that Edds would beat out Connor by mid-season for the SLB positon. Hes also a good leader (permant team captin). Get this (didn't know this till the NFL Vignettes video) he is a good longsnapper. Two best word in a later round draft prospects review: Value and Versatality (could save us a spot if he does well there).

6th Round:

Well we sure do have a lot of oppurtinuites to get some gems with all those new shinny compensatory picks. Its a good draft becuase there is a ton of good talent that will fall due to depth. And like I said a lot of players will probably drop in this range that in other years would have been 3rd-4th range. This is the range we start working at depth mainly on the lines.

Tony Washington LT - Abline Christian

Very good atlhete with the ideal LT build (6'7" 310lbs). And even at that size is very light on his feet. He also has those long arms teams covet at the LT position. He has charicter concerns (sex offender, I won't go there) and is very raw (needs to improve his footwork and hand technique) which is why he is projected to go here (although I tend to think he gets overdrafted).

I love Wharton's versatility but I would much prefer him stay at LG so we are in need of a solid backup. I think with time and good coaching (IMO we have the best oline coaching in the league) he could be a very good backup LT, maybe even win out the job in a year or two allowing us to trade Gross. IMHO in a year of plenty in the 6th, I think it is fine and even advisible to take a chance on a guy with his upside.

Brandon Carter OG - Texas Tech

He played at T but I want to see what he can do at G. He has a nasty mean streak that would suit him well at G. Also his tight hips won't be as much of an issue inside a phonebooth. He is a huge mountain of a man at 6'6" 330 and is pretty quick on his feet for that size. Carter would be a talented and verasatile swing backup (I think he could play at any postion aside from C). Probably would be best at RT due to his height but he might make an excellent G.

Zoltan Mesko P - Micighan

Yes I think this is a need. Not only is Baker not that great of a punter but he has a horrible punting time that I have timed at 2.5 seconds (catch to toe) before. This combined with only average blocking = block. He also brings next to no KOS value. Zoltan is considered by many to be one of the best P prospects in awhile. He has a booming leg and I really like how his left footed kicks make it more difficult for returners to field. He also could handle the KOS role. I think he will be go 4th-5th but if he is there when we pick I think we should grab him.

7th Round

Freddie Barnes WR - Bowling Green

Slow as mollasses but that didn't stop him from racking up over 155 catches, 1770 yards, and 19 tds this season. As slow as he is he still finds a way to get open by running great routes. He might never excel in this league but I like what I see enough out of him to take a chance on him in the 7th.

Aaron Webster SS - Cinncanti

Good size at 6'2" 211 lb. He has the range to play center field but he can also come up and stop opposing teams in the run game. He is a hard hitter and would make a excellent backup SS/special teamer. I think Harris is still good but it isn't like his irreplaceable I think Webster has more talent in coverage and brings the same kind of presence in the run game Harris brings and would be a solid backup or eventual replacement. He also would contrbuite on ST.

I like Carter and Barnes.

I like Carter and Barnes.

we need to nab him with our first pick, if he is still around

i have watched him for 3 years as well and he is just a step behind cj spiller, the panthers would be nutts not to take him because speed kills

he could handle kickoff and punt returns as well.

steve smith and jacoby ford, together with the ol, running backs and matt moored, like gruden said, feddy kruger, it would scare the heck out of all we play, but fox is an idiot,

i hope we could john gruden as coach, i am sick and tired of, what is the matter with punting the football, fox needs to go to the horse farm with jake the fake:p:p

there are probably going to be a few WRs I would rather take than Jacoby Ford. Speed isn't everything. I'd rather have a more elusive guy like gilyard. I went to clemson too and I didn't really find Ford impressive as a WR. His cuts were really rounded and he dropped some easy passes.

He's very fast and looked good at the combine but no to Ford in the 2nd.

there are probably going to be a few WRs I would rather take than Jacoby Ford. Speed isn't everything. I'd rather have a more elusive guy like gilyard. I went to clemson too and I didn't really find Ford impressive as a WR. His cuts were really rounded and he dropped some easy passes.

He's very fast and looked good at the combine but no to Ford in the 2nd.

I wouldn't want him in the 2nd but by the 3rd, if we didn't draft a WR at 48, it starts to become a possibility. I think once you get past the 2nd round value at WR I think he is definitely the top of the next teir of WR.

I think Andre' Roberts would be a solid pickup if we can get him in the 4th. he is smart and tough, loves the game. this is the kind of guy that will make himself better, watching film and training. maybe jarrett could learn something from him.

I as well. He impressed the hell out of me at the Senior Bowl. Hes fearless too, going up the middle and holding onto the ball knowing he was about to get decked. Great value in the 4th.

Archived