• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Official Huddle Beer Thread

CharlotteBeer.com

Can't go wrong with Arrogant Bastard, or most of Stone's offerings, for that matter. I really like their Smoked Porter as well.

The Smoked Porter is the B-O-M-B!!! I really love it in the fall when the air is crisp at night while sitting on the patio. I have a hard time really enjoying dark beers when it's hot out. That's not to say I don't appriciate them, just happen not enjoy them as well when it's scortching like it has been lately.

Do you homebrew 'Berry? I have in the past, but not recently as I've been ridiculously busy at work.

I enjoy drining white/wheat beers in the summer...their so darn refreshing. If you haven't tried it, the best American white is by Allagash. It beats the snot out of Blue Moon. It's a bit pricey, but well worth it.

I had Allagash White for the first time at the beach a few weeks ago. Whites and wheats are definitely refreshing. Another that I had recently and enjoyed was Southampton Double White. And if you haven't gotten into any saisons yet, you should check them out. They are great for the warmer weather, but they don't compromise with flavor and complexity. Ommegang Hennepin is my favorite. It's a little expensive at $8.99 for a four-pack, but it's worth every penny.

The Smoked Porter is the B-O-M-B!!! I really love it in the fall when the air is crisp at night while sitting on the patio. I have a hard time really enjoying dark beers when it's hot out. That's not to say I don't appriciate them, just happen not enjoy them as well when it's scortching like it has been lately.

Do you homebrew 'Berry? I have in the past, but not recently as I've been ridiculously busy at work.

I've found myself holding on to a lot of my dark beers lately. I have so many barleywines and imperial stouts that I'm saving right now. I think I'm going to have a bunch of people over for one big stout tasting.

I've actually accumulated nearly everything I need to start homebrewing, but I have yet to brew a batch. I even bought a vintage Frigidaire that someone had turned into a kegerator, and I've got three homebrew kegs to eventually put in it so that I can have three beers on tap at all times.

Of course, my wife would go and get knocked up, so now I'm wondering if I should sell all of this stuff. :P We'll see.

I had Allagash White for the first time at the beach a few weeks ago. Whites and wheats are definitely refreshing. Another that I had recently and enjoyed was Southampton Double White. And if you haven't gotten into any saisons yet, you should check them out. They are great for the warmer weather, but they don't compromise with flavor and complexity. Ommegang Hennepin is my favorite. It's a little expensive at $8.99 for a four-pack, but it's worth every penny.

I've found myself holding on to a lot of my dark beers lately. I have so many barleywines and imperial stouts that I'm saving right now. I think I'm going to have a bunch of people over for one big stout tasting.

I've actually accumulated nearly everything I need to start homebrewing, but I have yet to brew a batch. I even bought a vintage Frigidaire that someone had turned into a kegerator, and I've got three homebrew kegs to eventually put in it so that I can have three beers on tap at all times.

Of course, my wife would go and get knocked up, so now I'm wondering if I should sell all of this stuff. :P We'll see.

You are starting out a bt ambitious going straight to kegging. You really need to do a batch or two in bottles. The only things you need are a bottle capper $10 or so (if I remember correctly) and bottle caps (only a few dollars) at a homebrew store. Save your beer bottles and if you have a favorite bar, have the tender save a nights worth of bottles before you start. Most batches yield 40-48 beers. So have a buddy go in with you on the supplies and you could do a batch for around $30-$50 buck apiece. Sounds a bit pricey, but go out and buy 40-48 quality microbrews and you'll far exceed that.

I've had the Hennepin (a bit orange flavored) and the South Hampton white; both REALLY good. Barley wines are good too, but I have to sip on those puppies for obvious reasons and tend to be sweet. I like just about all beers that aren't macro-American, South/Latin American or Asain. Other than those, I tend to enjoy just about everything. When I visit bars that specialize in large beer selections like Taco Mac, Flying Saucer or Barley's, I'm like a kid in the candy store--I get freakin' stoked!!!

You are starting out a bt ambitious going straight to kegging. You really need to do a batch or two in bottles. The only things you need are a bottle capper $10 or so (if I remember correctly) and bottle caps (only a few dollars) at a homebrew store. Save your beer bottles and if you have a favorite bar, have the tender save a nights worth of bottles before you start. Most batches yield 40-48 beers. So have a buddy go in with you on the supplies and you could do a batch for around $30-$50 buck apiece. Sounds a bit pricey, but go out and buy 40-48 quality microbrews and you'll far exceed that.

!

I always just reused twist off bottles.

\bad form probably.

IS the smoke dporter anything like a German Rauchbier? I really thought id like this bier, but i didnt. Ill try again some time.

Im the same on the summer time beer. I normally drink heavy beers, love the chocolate stouts, belgians, etc...

but this time of year, ill just drink miller lite. Of course, its something like 3 MLs to a Belgian doppel.

not to even mention calories?

I always just reused twist off bottles.

\bad form probably.

If you drink them quickly and don't want to vintage any of them, twist offs are fine for short shelf life. Pop offs are best for longer shelf life and if you wish to vintage any of them.

IS the smoke dporter anything like a German Rauchbier? I really thought id like this bier, but i didnt. Ill try again some time.

Im the same on the summer time beer. I normally drink heavy beers, love the chocolate stouts, belgians, etc...

but this time of year, ill just drink miller lite. Of course, its something like 3 MLs to a Belgian doppel.

not to even mention calories?

Yup, hit on the head, the Stone Smoked Porter is exactly like a good ole Rauchbier, though obviously the real thing is better. Stone's product is darn close though!

If you don't like overwhelming flavor, then Rauchbier isn't for you. Rauchen is the German word for smoke. It's like the liquid smoke people use when cooking BBQ. VERY robust! My girlfriend likened it to drinking bacon flavored beer. I laughed, but so true.

The only macros I drink when I have to (i.e. tight on funds) are PBR and the Highlife.

I'll tell you what. Ever since Yuengling came down to the south. You folks have been drinking it up.

Amber PBR. Don't believe me, try a side-by-side. Yuengling is slightly sweeter/heavier from more malt. Besides that, you're drinking PBR and paying more money.

I've had the Hennepin (a bit orange flavored) and the South Hampton white; both REALLY good. Barley wines are good too, but I have to sip on those puppies for obvious reasons and tend to be sweet. I like just about all beers that aren't macro-American, South/Latin American or Asain. Other than those, I tend to enjoy just about everything. When I visit bars that specialize in large beer selections like Taco Mac, Flying Saucer or Barley's, I'm like a kid in the candy store--I get freakin' stoked!!!

I know I'm sort of skipping a few steps. I've actually got a wing capper and an old bench capper as well, and more bottles than I know what to do with. Actually, if anyone wants any (still with labels), let me know; most of my glasses these days get recycled, especially since I've got everything I need now. I do plan on bottling some beers -- especially some bigger imperial stouts and such.

Hennepin is my favorite saison. I love that stuff.

IS the smoke dporter anything like a German Rauchbier?

I think the smoked porter is quite different, myself. A Rauchbier can be any smoked beer, so you can have a smoked porter, a smoked lager, etc. Still, most Rauchbiers are lagers. Aecht Schlenkerla has a smoked marzen (Oktoberfest) and a smoked bock. I really liked both, and I didn't think the smoked flavor was as prevalent as Stone's, to be honest. But again, I really loved them all.

Oh, and right now I'm drinking a bomber of Coronado Brewing's Idiot IPA. Coronado is out of San Diego and just entered the Carolinas about a month or so ago. I can't speak for their other offerings, but this imperial IPA is damn tasty. If you're a hophead, you should pick it up.

If you guys are in the Charlotte area, we should meet up at Vintner Wine Market for a beer. That place is great, as you can see by their tap list.

The hoppiest beer I've ever had is Victory Hop Wollop. It's good, but you have to be in the mood for some serious hops. It's like grapefruit juice minus the acidity. I can just have one. When I get one, I have people take a sip just to see the reaction. It's like they just sucked on a lemon. Hop Devil by Victory is extremely good. I've seen the Coronado line but have yet to try any.

If you like robust beer, try the Yeti by Great Divide. This offering is aged in oak barrels so it has that woody taste to it. Seriously good and seriously expensive. It's only available in large bottles--22 oz. I think.

Were is the Vinter Wine Market? Is it located at University boardwalk? There is a wine bar there that has a decent beer selection too. Am I thinking of the same place? It's been a few years and can't think the name of the place I visited.

The hoppiest beer I've ever had is Victory Hop Wollop. It's good, but you have to be in the mood for some serious hops. It's like grapefruit juice minus the acidity. I can just have one. When I get one, I have people take a sip just to see the reaction. It's like they just sucked on a lemon. Hop Devil by Victory is extremely good. I've seen the Coronado line but have yet to try any.

If you like robust beer, try the Yeti by Great Divide. This offering is aged in oak barrels so it has that woody taste to it. Seriously good and seriously expensive. It's only available in large bottles--22 oz. I think.

Were is the Vinter Wine Market? Is it located at University boardwalk? There is a wine bar there that has a decent beer selection too. Am I thinking of the same place? It's been a few years and can't think the name of the place I visited.

I've had the Victory Hop Wallop, and you're right: it's very good. I also just tried Victory Storm King Stout -- that's a helluva beer as well.

I've had the regular Yeti, and a few weeks ago I got to try the Chocolate Oak-Aged Yeti on draft. I really enjoyed it, but I still think I like my Old Rasputin a bit better.

Vintner Wine Market is in south Charlotte, in the Arboretum shopping center between Pineville and Matthews (intersection of Hwy. 16 and Hwy. 51).

Archived