• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

McBain vs. Babchuk

The signing of Anton Babchuk to a contract could effect the power-play ice time and fantasy value of Jamie McBain.

The talented blueliner, who registered 10 points in only 14 games last season, will have to share the power-play point with Babchuk and Joni Pitkanen in 2010-11. Although he is a breakout candidate, McBain may be limited to approximately 35-40 points due to the presence of Babchuk. That's a shame, as he otherwise could have been a 45-point defenseman candidate.

Source: Raleigh News & Observer

The canes need a good "stay at home" defense man anyway. If less time on the power play and less time worrying about generating points for McBain means better defense and less quality chances on Ward than that's fine. I hope last year was not a glitch and McBain turns out to be the solid d-man we need. Our defense was very problematic most of last year. Can't wait for the season to start!

Here is the Depth Chart on http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/depthchart.htm?dcid=12

New Faces on the chart include

Jiri Tlusty on the second line as a Left Wing: I really like this he did well everytime he laced his skates up for the Canes.

Zach Boychuk moves up to the third line as a Left Wing: He also looked good in his time with the Canes last year.

Zac Dalpe see's his first action in the NHL as center on the third line: He should be fun to watch with Cole and Boychuk.

Dwyer is the center of the 4th line: We have some of the youngest center's in the league but also some of the best top to bottom wise in my opinion.

Oskar Osala, Jon Matsumoto, Drayson Bowman, Jerome Samson, and Chris Terry are on the depth chart: These guys bring a lot of added depth.

Anton Babchuk and Jamie McBain are paired together on the second defensive line: This will be a fun tandem to watch.

Bobby Sanguinetti is paired with Jay Harrison: This will be interesting I am not sure about this tandem yet.

Bryan Rodney and Casey Borer are also expected to see time with the Canes: They are decent but not great.

This guy named Matt Karash is big Canes fan and he does articles on them on HockeyBuzz he said that the Canes may go after one more defensive player and named two possible targets in Joe Corvo and Paul Mara. He also said the Canes may explore the option of one more veteran center and named Dominic Moore being an option. Adding Moore and Corvo would pretty much set this roster and it would be a damn good one.

I wouldn't mind seeing Corvo back in Raleigh. The Canes love bringing back old players and it usually works out well. I think getting a seasoned vet on the team is a must. Losing Brindamour in the locker room will be irreplacable but a vet will be great for this young team. Next year should be a solid roster with plenty of speed and talent. I hope Maurices system will work out. If not I hope he is yanked before the season is already lost

JR said in an interview the other day there was very little chance of corvo coming back because he was out the canes price range. Dont see this happening even though it would be cool.

Yeah I heard that I just dont understand how that is possible.

We have $16,485,000 in cap space.

They could get away with paying Corvo $2,000,000

I wouldn't mind seeing Corvo back in Raleigh. The Canes love bringing back old players and it usually works out well.

It didn't work to begin last season. I agree, it has worked out well in some situations, especially as the Canes gear up for the playoffs, but IMO the big problem at the beginning of last year was a lack of youth on the squad. Fortunately, the youth movement started around the olympic break and seemed to ignite the team and bring about some optimism toward this year. I'm all for bringing back the vets as long as Rutherford makes it a good balance of youth and experience.

Yeah I heard that I just dont understand how that is possible.

We have $16,485,000 in cap space.

They could get away with paying Corvo $2,000,000

I think Karmanos set a ceiling for the Canes salary at around 46mil for this year. I think they are pretty close to that already. In order to bring someone in there would need to be a trade involved.

$43,820,833 according to capgeek.com but that does not include contracts for Peters (unsigned) or any of the unsigned kids (Rodney, Borer).

Additionally, Carolina does not operate by the salary cap. They are a small market team that plays according to an internal budget. The only thing they have to worry about is reaching the salary cap floor, at $43 million, in order to be eligible for revenue sharing as per the CBA.

With the influx of rookies on bonus heavy contracts and incentive laden deals, our cap number will be higher than the salary we "pay out". Plus, with the way the NHL contracts work it's not that uncommon for players to have a higher or lower cap hit than their actual salary.

Carolina is going to make a push for ONE more defenseman and he's going to have to be cheaper than Joe Corvo. If all Joe wanted was $2 million, he would already be back. The team didn't qualify RFA players Picard and Carson because they wanted one way deals for better money, so the possibility of Carson in particular coming back would be likely once he finds there are no other offers out there.

I also wouldn't rule out a low key signing like bringing Brian Pothier back or signing a player like Mike Van Ryn. Carolina is going to wait until free agency sorts out to see who is left without a team in the musical chairs game and then try to get them at a discount.

Next year is a "rebuilding" year for the Hurricanes. With season ticket sales very strong as a result of the All Star game coming to Raleigh, they can afford to be not as competitive this season and not get destroyed at the gate. Season ticket sales are up this offseason despite a pretty bad year last year.

As far as McBain vs. Babchuk goes, it shouldn't be an issue. McBain and Pitkanen will remain the top pairing pointmen on the powerplay. Babchuk will have to work back into the rotation. We like to run two units anyways.

However, 45 points was a lofty goal for McBain anyways. I think 30 points is much more realistic.

Archived