• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Car Selling Question

Johnny Rockets

So I put my GMC Envoy up for sale yesterday and have had a couple of calls on it but I have a slight problem. I still owe about $5K (which I don't have to pay off right now) on it so the finance company has the title.

The problem is that the finance company is not local so I would need to have someone pay for the truck, then wait for their check to clear, then mail the finance company the payoff amount and then wait for them to mail the title so I could hand the vehicle over. Not sure who would hand over $9K to me and then wait until all that happens with nothing more than a receipt I give them saying they gave me the money for the car.

Any suggestions? Should I go to my bank (Fifth Third) and take out a personal loan to pay it off so I have the title in hand and then pay off the personal loan in a couple of weeks when I sell it (as long as there are no early payoff penalties)?

Thank You,

Confused in Concord

Is the person buying the vehicle going to pay cash?

If not, his bank/Credit Union should have no problem contacting your bank who has the title, get a payoff amount, send them a check and deal with their client and you just get a check from them for the difference.

Painless!

Tough situation to be in....You legally can't transfer a car without the title. And for the most part companies, when you pay them off, don't take longer than 2 weeks to get the title to you.

Archived