• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Colony

Samuel L. Jackson

I have been seeing a lot of commercials for it but never watched it. Still not sure what exactly it is. Give me the Cliffs notes version of what it is all about.

They have a 10 acre tract of abandoned/ruined commercial property in the Katrina ravaged area of Louisiana.

Seven people from different aspects of society have been chosen to simulate a post apocalyptic (in this season, it is a biological one) disaster.

Some of it is surely scripted, and there are "experts" off camera that aid the participants in the event of medical emergencies, or guidance in survival situations.

The goal is to re-establish some sort of small society consisting of the participants. They try to achieve this with securing the five basics of survival (Food, Water, Fire, Shelter, Security), and ultimately will be tasked with leaving this area behind in search of other colonies (this is how the season will probably end, like it did last season).

They are under the constant threat of outsiders (actors playing the part of the "bad guys") that are interested in taking their resources, and so far (one episode), this season has already proven that the producers will allow more physical contact from these people... The Colony folks got their butts pretty much handed to them on the first episode, and lost a good bit of their supplies...

It isn't 100% accurate, and it is kind of cheezy that they receive guidance from experts off camera, but it is entertaining, and you can learn some valuable info from it.

They have a 10 acre tract of abandoned/ruined commercial property in the Katrina ravaged area of Louisiana.

Seven people from different aspects of society have been chosen to simulate a post apocalyptic (in this season, it is a biological one) disaster.

Some of it is surely scripted, and there are "experts" off camera that aid the participants in the event of medical emergencies, or guidance in survival situations.

The goal is to re-establish some sort of small society consisting of the participants. They try to achieve this with securing the five basics of survival (Food, Water, Fire, Shelter, Security), and ultimately will be tasked with leaving this area behind in search of other colonies (this is how the season will probably end, like it did last season).

They are under the constant threat of outsiders (actors playing the part of the "bad guys") that are interested in taking their resources, and so far (one episode), this season has already proven that the producers will allow more physical contact from these people... The Colony folks got their butts pretty much handed to them on the first episode, and lost a good bit of their supplies...

It isn't 100% accurate, and it is kind of cheezy that they receive guidance from experts off camera, but it is entertaining, and you can learn some valuable info from it.

Thanks...when I saw the commercials for it I was confused if it was "real" or not especially when they were showing the "outsiders" coming into the colony. That is when I decided not to bother watching because it looked cheezy as you mentioned. Good overview of what it is though, it makes more sense now.

Thanks...when I saw the commercials for it I was confused if it was "real" or not especially when they were showing the "outsiders" coming into the colony. That is when I decided not to bother watching because it looked cheezy as you mentioned. Good overview of what it is though, it makes more sense now.

The first season, the narrator specifically made it known that the outsiders were instructed not to have physical contact with the colonists (although this command was supposedly unknown to the colonists)...

This season, he didn't say that yet, and in the first show, the outsiders rolled into town about 30 deep and basically had a royal rumble and took what they wanted... I saw one dude dropping an MMA style elbow on the back of one of the colonists' neck at one point...

I watched last season, but haven't watched the first episode of this season yet. Been out of town, but will probably watch it tonight.

It should rerun sometime, if you didn't DVR it...

Or, if you have TWC, you might can find it on the On Demand channels...

Speaking of which, I saw that they have the entire first season available On Demand as well...

• 1 year later...

Archived