• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Poison Ivy Cure

Johnny Rockets

So I am dealing with my 3rd round of poison ivy this summer but this time it is on my neck (Don't ask). So I read online that washing it with paint thinner or mineral spirits will help kill the oil that causes the inflammation. So I go to the garage and oh look.....there is some paint thinner and mineral spirits. So I am about to go wash my neck with some of this stuff but it warns to wear gloves while using the product. Seems I would usually follow such instructions but it all seems pointless when I am about to rub the stuff into my jugular vein.

So I ask you fine people of the Huddle....good idea, bad idea, or quite possibly the best idea around here in awhile and it will help thin out the huddle herd?

So I am dealing with my 3rd round of poison ivy this summer but this time it is on my neck (Don't ask). So I read online that washing it with paint thinner or mineral spirits will help kill the oil that causes the inflammation. So I go to the garage and oh look.....there is some paint thinner and mineral spirits. So I am about to go wash my neck with some of this stuff but it warns to wear gloves while using the product. Seems I would usually follow such instructions but it all seems pointless when I am about to rub the stuff into my jugular vein.

So I ask you fine people of the Huddle....good idea, bad idea, or quite possibly the best idea around here in awhile and it will help thin out the huddle herd?

Great idea! :eek:

See a doc and get some corticosteroids...seriously! the home remedies are worthless...

I'd stay away from the paint thinner. They use it to clean with at the car lot, and Chris sat in a seat that was still wet. A few minutes later, he was running to the bathroom dropping his pants in front of everyone on the way trying to cool his ass off. It lit his ass up! lol

First off, you cant "kill" oil.

Secondly, the mineral spirits can cause some major burns, so I would not mess with that.

Best home remedy you can do is, wipe it down with alcohol wipes, and put calamine lotion on it...otherwise you can get a shot from a doctor.

Just watching out for your neck!

bad idea. I am very allergic to poison/oak/sumac. I don't even have to touch it. I can walk in the vicinity of it and on a still day be covered. I have never found anything to stop the the itching or the spread. Nothing!

This helps a little, but nothing works.

tecnu-Poison-Oak-Ivy-LSS-_i_lbw32577_02S.jpg

You can even wash your clothes with this stuff.

I am allergic to it as well. People told me to pour bleach of it! (Don't think so!) I found the best stuff to dry it up was spraying it with "Final Net" hair spray. Burns, but it dries up the oil! (Loaded with alcohol.)

Steriod shots from the skin doctor (dematologist) help as well. (My Doctor's name is Charles Brown! What kind of parents would name their son Charlie Brown? The first time I went to him, I told him if he had a nurse named Lucy, I was out of there. LOL Like he hadn't heard that a million times!)

Over the counter stuff that works good.

Zanfel

Tecnu (JANGLER'S FAVORITE)

Rhuli

Ivarest (My personal favorite)

Home remdies (These will burn!)

White Vinegar (pour it over the infected area)

Rubbing Alcohol (which is why Spray net worked.)

Lacquer Thinner (Here you go!)

Bleach (It will dry out anything!)

Purell Hand Sanitizer (High in rubbing alcohol)

Calamine is the best solution I have heard. But so is avoidence!

Doesn't work for me. It seems to make it last longer, because it doesn't let air in to dry it up. That's why I use the Tecnu.

And yes I learned along time ago how to identify it to stay away. The house I'm in now had a patch growing on the back fence when I first moved in 9 years ago, I nuked the area, to this day nothing will grow there.

damn, that picture got me itching...

Kenny - you're in the Concord area. I cannot praise this woman enough - Debra at Genesis Herb Garden. She can tell you what will fix you quickly. I'd battled a nasty skin and thyroid disease for a couple of years to no avail and she gave me some stuff that's really working.

I recall her shop having something for Poison Ivy.

http://www.genesisherbgarden.com/

Tell her I sent you. (Wait, maybe that's a bad idea because I want her to continue seeing me...). Cyberjag and Guigrrl can attest to how good she is.

Archived